Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This country is a joke

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So closing one of the busiest airports in the world (Gatwick) for 24 hours due to weather we knew was coming is quite acceptable?

A quick google search found plenty of examples of the exact same thing happening in places like New York, where snow is more expected.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I generally like to have a little fun at the expense of people who moan like this, asking them...

Do you have snow chains? Do you keep your screen wash and anti freeze permanently topped up? Did you, on your last journey, take with you a shovel? A flask of hot drink? Food? Matting or cat litter? Extra clothes or blankets? Did you allow extra time?

If the answer to any of these is no, I'll start ranting at the person about expecting authorities to be prepared at great public expense, but without bothering to make any kind of preparations themselves.

You must know a lot of morons then because if I know the weather is gonna be like the forecast told me and I have to travel then yes of course I can answer YES to all your questions, except I have a set of winter tyres rather than snow chains

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A quick google search found plenty of examples of the exact same thing happening in places like New York, where snow is more expected.

With the same amount of snow? I really really doubt it

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The reason it is so pathetic though is that many people cannot wait to find the smallest excuse to get out of work/school/college etc. I am at a college now and surprise, surprise - many staff and students can't get in - Isn't it ironic though that if you had asked me yesterday to predict which staff and students would have 'difficulties' and which ones would be ok then I could have predicted with absolute ease.

Just as I had always suspected.
When I was school-age, it took a virtual blizzard to close the schools down. If we had another winter like 1962/63 the whole educational system would come to a complete halt these days.:angry:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't find specifics on amount of snow, although I thought it was pretty well agreed that it's fairly heavy snow in London at the moment.

Also, 3 other airports are closed today, all in different countries, but ONLY the English one is unacceptable? Sorry, I just get bored of people constantly finding something to moan about about "the state of our nation" and all that bollocks.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
When I was school-age, it took a virtual blizzard to close the schools down. If we had another winter like 1962/63 the whole educational system would come to a complete halt these days.:angry:

Correct!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Trains do seem to break down at the first sign of frost in this country.

More of a problem on the Southern, what was the Southern Region with it's third-rail pick-up system. I suspect the newer units being more advanced are more susceptible to flashing and short-circuits which ice can cause. In the old days, there would be steam locos ready to haul the trains away or even diesels to begin with.

But with privatisation having locomotives just lying around waiting for adverse conditions is not profitable, so they've been scrapped, or sold.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

My Mother and father moved us from N.London to a farm in the middle of nowhere in Dorset (Toller Fratrum) that year...mainly to get out of London I think.... had helicopters bringing us food...
Moved back to London in the spring.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can't find specifics on amount of snow, although I thought it was pretty well agreed that it's fairly heavy snow in London at the moment.

Also, 3 other airports are closed today, all in different countries, but ONLY the English one is unacceptable? Sorry, I just get bored of people constantly finding something to moan about about "the state of our nation" and all that bollocks.

Are they all closed for 24 hours? Again I really doubt any Northern European country has decided to close for 24 hours without it being incredibly deep snow. Sorry you don't like people questioning the efficiency of our airports, just accepting it is bollocks to me,,

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
More of a problem on the Southern, what was the Southern Region with it's third-rail pick-up system. I suspect the newer units being more advanced are more susceptible to flashing and short-circuits which ice can cause. In the old days, there would be steam locos ready to haul the trains away or even diesels to begin with.

But with privatisation having locomotives just lying around waiting for adverse conditions is not profitable, so they've been scrapped, or sold.

The overhead electrical systems are just as badly affected and in fact far more expensive to maintain. The reason why steam died out was because it was notoriously expensive and inefficient compared to electric trains as well. Given that they were propelled mainly by coal they'd be even more costly now.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
A bit of forward planning is all that is required for some businesses. We have a staff of 50 in our office, of which I'm responsible for half. I pretty much know all of those 50 people will working today, despite the office now being closed. Most people commute long distances (sheffield, Manchester) to the office on the outskirts of Leeds. First hint of weather related problems and we ask those who commute to ensure adequate work is taken home to last a number of days. With the internet, email and VPN links they can access everything they need. I'd rather have people at home working, than wasting time trying to get in, potentially damaging often expensive cars or worse themselves, when they can be just as effective at home. These conditions extend to more local staff as and when conditions (such as now) warrant. As part of this, we can randomly monitor work progress, and last year I had no issues with any of my staff during this period. Sure, some will take an hour or two off to enjoy the snow, but I'd rather they do that than spend three times as long sitting in a car going nowhere on company time.

As a country I don't think we do too bad, things are pretty bad at the moment, so disruption must be expected. We don't need Scandinavian type policies of snow chains/winter tyres for the limited cold spells we have. People will probably be too tight or lazy to buy and fit them anyway.

I spent a winter in Stavanger, fu**in hated it!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

In my experience people who complain about this country's shortcomings may have been abroad on holiday but actually living in a country is a very different matter. The US for example, is a great place to live if your are healthy and wealthy but if you're not (and so often these are related) it's a third world country. Plenty of worse places than the UK.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Same old arguments etc, if we spent millions on snow ploughs, vehicles, stand by workers and had a mild winter we'd all be up in arms when the councils wasted all this money, when it snows we expect solutions like they have it all stuffed in a cupboard.

It's snows, sometimes, and we make the best of what we have, some people struggle through and get to work, others use it as an excuse to watch daytime TV ... shit happens.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale

But back then, most school teachers lived locally, as did most staff to their places of work. We have since become much more of a country of commuters. My missus is a teacher, no way would we consider living in the catchment area these days, way too much hassle with the kids you get there these days. Teachers get held up in traffic just as much as everyone else. When they do get in, half the little f*cktards don't turn up anyway, they're off out in the snow (which screws up the absentee ratings if the school is actually open) whilst their brain dead parents moan that they aren't getting the childcare, sorry education, they apparently pay for betwen 8.30 and 3.30!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I imagine the countries you talk of are used to those temperatures.

This whole 'A little bit of snow and the whole country closes down' crap is as common as the 'There's snow outside!' before repeated Ad nauseam but at least one is said with a happy, almost childish glee. The other is uttered by patronising self important office plebs.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Having a cigarette in -9 here at the moment takes a level of commitment that is mostly unrecognized or appreciated.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I imagine the countries you talk of are used to those temperatures.

This whole 'A little bit of snow and the whole country closes down' crap is as common as the 'There's snow outside!' before repeated Ad nauseam but at least one is said with a happy, almost childish glee. The other is uttered by patronising self important office plebs.

Fair comment.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Of course there are lazy people, but you're being unfair if you're accusing everybody not in work of laziness. I left my office in London at 8pm last night, and didn't get home (25 miles away) until 10.30pm. What's the point of trying to get in and running that risk again when I can do my job at 70% from home?

Your journey sound a doddle compared to mine. I left the office in New Malden at 4pm and got home to Burgess Hill at 2 in the morning. Utterly ridiculous that the smallest bit of snow brings the road network to a complete standstill. Still sliding down the sheet ice of Reigate hill was quite good fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here