Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This country is a joke

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
A small amount of snow and the whole place comes to a standstill. I was out in Helsinki and Tallinn over the weekend temperatures down at minus 12 in Tallinn there was about 4 ft of snow but the airports are still open, the trains still run and the trams are still working and life carries on as normal.

Why the hell can't we cope yes they are more used to it than us but every year we get the same old "it won't happen again" "we will be better prepared next time" What then happens? Chaos again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I quite agree, in fact its worse than you think.

Yesterday, Gregg's in Bognor had NOT ONE sausage roll left in the shop, the stock was completely gone. This situation requires urgent government consideration.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't the snow in Scandinavia and Baltics different from ours ?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The reason it is so pathetic though is that many people cannot wait to find the smallest excuse to get out of work/school/college etc. I am at a college now and surprise, surprise - many staff and students can't get in - Isn't it ironic though that if you had asked me yesterday to predict which staff and students would have 'difficulties' and which ones would be ok then I could have predicted with absolute ease.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A small amount of snow and the whole place comes to a standstill. I was out in Helsinki and Tallinn over the weekend temperatures down at minus 12 in Tallinn there was about 4 ft of snow but the airports are still open, the trains still run and the trams are still working and life carries on as normal.

Why the hell can't we cope yes they are more used to it than us but every year we get the same old "it won't happen again" "we will be better prepared next time" What then happens? Chaos again.

We get this sort of comments every year. Why don't we spend millions & millions of public finances on snow ploughs and grit stock piles so that for the 4 or 5 days we get snow in this country we can deal with it. I'd certainly be up for a 50% increase in my council tax to cover snow ploughs that will be used 5 days out of 365....Helsinki and Tallinn have to deal with this kind of weather on a regular basis over an extended period of time - of course they cope with it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

This country doesn't have that much snow unlike Finland. We don't have the infrastructure to deal with snow unlike Finland. The fact Finland has a lot more snow than we do and also a very much smaller population than here, completely different situation. It's also easily the most expensive country I have ever been to. Still if you prefer Finland to here why not go there, I don't think many people will miss you.

markw

Aug 28, 2009

In Helsinki these conditions are normal from november through to march so they prepare for it year in year out. In good old blighty we can get these conditions at any time for a week or two, february and november this year but nothing else really for the last five years so it makes sense that we take it as it comes and not spend millions on something that might not happen.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In Helsinki these conditions are normal from november through to march so they prepare for it year in year out. In good old blighty we can get these conditions at any time for a week or two, february and november this year but nothing else really for the last five years so it makes sense that we take it as it comes and not spend millions on something that might not happen.

exactly this...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We get this sort of comments every year. Why don't we spend millions & millions of public finances on snow ploughs and grit stock piles so that for the 4 or 5 days we get snow in this country we can deal with it.

Whaaat ???? Are you forgetting that we need to fund our students ?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Don't rise to it Bold Seagull. It's Daily Mail thinking.

By the way, Sweden has the highest suicide rate in the world. Related to their attitude towards snow? I think so.

By the way, Mrs TRHK stuck in Geneva at the moment. Not because of Gatwick but because of the Swiss end of things. We're not the only ones who struggle when it snows.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Indeed a lot is down to just laziness of people.

I can understand why the Government haven't been willing to shell out the cash to make us better prepared for what was a very rare occurance (down south anyway). Now we seem to be getting it a few times a year then maybe they will have to rethink, but in the recent history it's just not been worth the money

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Indeed a lot is down to just laziness of people.

I can understand why the Government haven't been willing to shell out the cash to make us better prepared for what was a very rare occurance (down south anyway). Now we seem to be getting it a few times a year then maybe they will have to rethink, but in the recent history it's just not been worth the money

Laziness ? Well the fact that there's no public transport and the roads are very dangerous around here is a factor. There might not be that much snow on the South Coast but here in South Eastern London and Kent it's thick and still falling.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Laziness ? Well the fact that there's no public transport and the roads are very dangerous around here is a factor. There might not be that much snow on the South Coast but here in South Eastern London and Kent it's thick and still falling.

Of course some areas are very dangerous but many areas there really is not even the slightest problem at all. In the last batch of snow a friend of mine did not go into work for a week at a shop in Western Road because there was disruptions to the buses, she lives on Lewes road - GET UP AND FUCKIN WALK. Pure and utter laziness.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

By the way, Sweden has the highest suicide rate in the world. Related to their attitude towards snow? I think so.

By the way, Mrs TRHK stuck in Geneva at the moment. Not because of Gatwick but because of the Swiss end of things. We're not the only ones who struggle when it snows.
No-one really knows why Sweden's suicide is so high, especially when you consider the numbers in Norway and Denmark are dramatically lower.

Back on topic, it's the infrastructure in this country, as most people on here have said. To be honest, with the number of bank holidays in the UK amongst the lowest in Europe, I really can't get that cross about the occasional enforced absence from work owing to adverse weather conditions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of course some areas are very dangerous but many areas there really is not even the slightest problem at all. In the last batch of snow a friend of mine did not go into work for a week at a shop in Western Road because there was disruptions to the buses, she lives on Lewes road - GET UP AND FUCKIN WALK. Pure and utter laziness.
Of course there are lazy people, but you're being unfair if you're accusing everybody not in work of laziness. I left my office in London at 8pm last night, and didn't get home (25 miles away) until 10.30pm. What's the point of trying to get in and running that risk again when I can do my job at 70% from home?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I believe that the Fins are topping themselves at a fair old rate too, hopefully this will not apply to Neil and Tim Finn

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

I'm not saying everyone who can't get out their house is being lazy, far from it. But I know a lot of people, even in my company, who live within a few miles of me that say they can't make it in when all it takes is a bit of work to clear your car off and some patient driving

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
To be honest, with the number of bank holidays in the UK amongst the lowest in Europe, I really can't get that cross about the occasional enforced absence from work owing to adverse weather conditions.

This is a false argument. In Europe, if a Bank Hoilday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday its tough shit you may miss out on a day off. There is no Bank Holiday Monday. In the end, it evens itself out though the year. Somtimes, there is NO time off at Christmas! But thats when, well the lovely Greeks anyway, go on strike to make up for it! :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here