Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Old Trafford 1-5 Aug 2013

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Well that was an interesting decision, what is the point of technology if you use it and then just ignore what it says?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I thought it was the right decision*

*He's Australian
*I haven't actually seen it.
*I have money on Swann

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Technology in football then anyone ?

Confused what your point is? There will ALWAYS be bad decisions, tech or no tech. The point is trying to INFORM those in charge of the decisions as best we can. They should be making as INFORMED a decision as possible.

Will they sometimes still get it wrong? Of course. But OBVIOUSLY the more info they have at their fingertips, the better.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the problems with DRS seems to be the lack of teamwork between the on-field umpire and the 3rd umpire.

In rugby union we hear the referee call for a review and go upstairs, then he gives his colleague a clear question: "Is there any reason I can't award the try?" or "Did the player ground the ball?" The question conveys where the doubt lies.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are fast becoming the Bob Mugabe of the cricket world. Whatever happens in the middle we always get the result we want.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
3rd umpire appears to be swinging from a dreadful reversing of a correct on field decision for Trott's LBW in the first Test, to now supporting the on field decision, incorrectly here.

They don't really seem to have any consistent guidance on how to assess the information.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Rogers 79* and Clarke 18* piling in on after lunch...

117-2 (32 overs)

We could do with a wicket...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm a little bit disappointed they didn't waste a review on that one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Technology is fine, its the complete moron of a third umpire who has failed to use it to make the correct decsion.

Confused what your point is? There will ALWAYS be bad decisions, tech or no tech. The point is trying to INFORM those in charge of the decisions as best we can. They should be making as INFORMED a decision as possible.

Will they sometimes still get it wrong? Of course. But OBVIOUSLY the more info they have at their fingertips, the better.

My point is, aside from goal-line deciisons, technology will still ultimately rely on human interpretation and opinion, which as we've seen, can and will still be flawed. Buffoons can make poor decisions even with all the evidence "at their fingertips".

It will solve little and only serve to cause even more controversy on decisons. But thats a debate for another thread.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We need a wicket right NOW!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here