Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third highest Albion attendance

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
My dad was a local in the Bosun in the late 70s early 80s, I know at least 10-15 of them very well, as a couple used to drink in the Spread Eagle, before it closed down.So, that backfired.

Also, i asked someone else about this today, Brighton brang 8000 to the Lane(The whole Park Lane) , and Spurs fans thought :eek:If there bringing this up here, god knows what there'll be like down in Brighton.This person reckons we had the whole of the North Stand, the OFFICAL away bit to the left, and he was on the half way line and he said that was all Spurs, so the 3000 figure seems a bit bias. 10-15k:thumbsup:

apparently all the brighton fans run on the pitch into the south stand:shrug:.

And when it went 3-1 Nutty ( terry) naylor came over to the spurs fans and tried to get them to pitch invade to get it abandoned:lolol::lolol:

PD

Let it go. Give my Old Man a break.

As I posted earlier, all these football folklore stories “grow” over the years.

So if you want it to be 10,000 or 15,000 Spurs who “took over” the ground and Brighton were “kicked all over the show” Not a problem?

If it makes you happy then yes, as Bjørge Lille lien would have said “ our boys took a hell of a beating! Our boys took a hell of a beating”

What the Old Man remembers though is the “Bulldog Spirit” that the Albion fans showed that day. They didn’t “bottle it” in the North West and didn’t take the easy option of retreat to the South Stand. There were no police around and Spurs fans were getting there “pleasure” from smacking around innocent Brighton fans.

Maybe Spurs didn’t get “tonked” by the Albion that day? Maybe The Bosun, the “scarfers” and the old boys just turned a blind eye and let the Spurs thugs carry on kicking the sh1t out of innocent fans?

Think on PD. ???

Last edited:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Didn't take you long did it, faggot.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Didn't take you long did it, faggot.

As the man says, probably best to let this one go.

Loads of the contributors to this thread were ACTUALLY there.

The truth of it is that whilst there were certainly loads more than the 'official' 3,500 or so, there were nowhere near as many as 15,000 Spurs in the crowd. Personally I would say that there were no more than 5,000.

Yes they did cause havoc but it's also true to say that the Brighton who WERE prepared to fight did pretty well and certainly held their own once it all settled down.

The people on the pitch were mainly normal fans who weren't interested in the fighting, NOT Albion who were running from Spurs.

A lot of tales about hooliganism involve a certain amount of exaggeration and I think there's a lot of that here. Let's leave it at that, instead of taking it all down into an NSC abuse-fest.

:thumbsup:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
As the man says, probably best to let this one go.

Loads of the contributors to this thread were ACTUALLY there.

The truth of it is that whilst there were certainly loads more than the 'official' 3,500 or so, there were nowhere near as many as 15,000 Spurs in the crowd. Personally I would say that there were no more than 5,000.

Yes they did cause havoc but it's also true to say that the Brighton who WERE prepared to fight did pretty well and certainly held their own once it all settled down.

The people on the pitch were mainly normal fans who weren't interested in the fighting, NOT Albion who were running from Spurs.

A lot of tales about hooliganism involve a certain amount of exaggeration and I think there's a lot of that here. Let's leave it at that, instead of taking it all down into an NSC abuse-fest.

:thumbsup:

Hiney

The Old Man reckons there were was something worse than the Spurs fans at that game.

Brighton's secret weapon. Bring on the Animal........................

3278037.jpg

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Hiney, You can tell your a father :lolol::jester:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I am not a great one for detail but hooligan folklore tended to suggest that Tottingham used to be on the receiving end more than the giving end. In fact they were sometimes (as were Arsenal) easy pickings for any away support in them days.

Still now that we have got that out of our systems.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My dad was a local in the Bosun in the late 70s early 80s, I know at least 10-15 of them very well, as a couple used to drink in the Spread Eagle, before it closed down.So, that backfired.

Also, i asked someone else about this today, Brighton brang 8000 to the Lane(The whole Park Lane) , and Spurs fans thought :eek:If there bringing this up here, god knows what there'll be like down in Brighton.This person reckons we had the whole of the North Stand, the OFFICAL away bit to the left, and he was on the half way line and he said that was all Spurs, so the 3000 figure seems a bit bias. 10-15k:thumbsup:

apparently all the brighton fans run on the pitch into the south stand:shrug:.

And when it went 3-1 Nutty ( terry) naylor came over to the spurs fans and tried to get them to pitch invade to get it abandoned:lolol::lolol:
Yes, it's undoubtedly true that a lot of Brighton fans ran away, some ran as far as they could go which was the South Stand. However as the Spurs fans had attacked women, children and 'scarfers' (although the term wasn't used then) it was hardly surprising was it? Whilst I'm not claiming that there was a massive Brighton counter-attack and it all ended up with Spurs being chased up the Old Shoreham Road we did end up reclaiming the western side of the North Stand.

PS - I don't remember a Spurs player trying to get the game abandoned but it might well be true - they were renowned cheats.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Has anyone mentioned that spurs" took" the north stand when there was probably less than 500 Brighton in there? It was only about 2 o'clock when it all kicked off. As the game was all ticket I doubt there were many more than the allocated 3,500 spurs there & they got their arses kicked in the north west and on the tea hut. The main point is that anybody can take a practically empty stand.
By the way, at the away game a spurs fan told me that we were the first club to go there " mob handed since man u 3 years ago"

Jan 30, 2008
You cleary have something against me Fazz.

Well, i've heard many things, from honest people , Brighton and Spurs fans. I obviously was even though of when it happened but people who say we had 3000 down? Apparently we took the North Stand that day and had most of the ground, also kicked off pretty heaviely by Hove Station too? - Something that will never happen again, is this a good or bad thing though Fazz?

When i go to places like Derby, Man Utd, Man City, i dont fear anything, but in the 70s was this half the fun.Going to places 'up nawf' shitting yourself in fear, not knowing what was around the corner, takes 500-800 on a football special, must have felt like being in an army, them days are WELL GONE!:cry:
just drop it you plank ............. f*** off you spurs :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
Has anyone mentioned that spurs" took" the north stand when there was probably less than 500 Brighton in there? It was only about 2 o'clock when it all kicked off. As the game was all ticket I doubt there were many more than the allocated 3,500 spurs there & they got their arses kicked in the north west and on the tea hut. The main point is that anybody can take a practically empty stand.
By the way, at the away game a spurs fan told me that we were the first club to go there " mob handed since man u 3 years ago"
not too sure about that comment ,i believe west ham turned up a few seasons ago for a midweek game and took the piss ???

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Young dazo, I think it's time you gave it a rest. When you travel away, unless you're going for a scrap, it's important to show some respect and it's the same here. It's an Albion board and a very interesting thread on which you have kept turning back on how are hoolies are better than your hoolies on match before you were born.

Now, you're a good lad and you can support Albion & Spurs but you're winding people up and that's not altogether a good thing. People who were there have given their say and we all have our own memories so don't keep trying to turn it back to the version you want.

The game at the lane, well Spurs had come down, Albion had gone up so it was our 1st trip up there (probably) since the war. Although Spurs had good gates it was the massive support for Albion which saw the gates locked at near 49,000 and a cracking 0-0 game. i believe Spurs had won their last home game 9-0.

Given that the Goldstone average for that season was 24,000 and Spurs was a big, big game, it's likely that the Spurs contingent would have been around 5,000. It's also true that Spurs took the north some time before KO. I got in shortly before 3.00 and, for a 30,000 crowd, the north was fairly comfortable as so many fans had been displaced. I was in the north for the whole game.

As for the real issue, the football, well a draw and a win made Albion top dogs. One player really typifies these matchs, Paul 'Tank' Clarke. he was bought for £100k as an unknown and thrown straight into the team at Spurs.

I think he was only 19 but looked like a Viking warrior with his stocky build, blond hair & beared. he was outstanding in bossing the midfield and putting the squeeze on the Spurs talent. peter taylor, just like in his palace days, bottled it.

The highlight of the Goldstone game was Clark winning a tackle in his own half, steaming forward with Spurs players bouncing off him, and scoring with a cracking shot. One of the best goals ever.

There you have it. Spurs, like all the London teams, loved coming to Brighton for a weekend of mayhem and came in vast numbers. Once we get Falmer, teams will again visit in vast numbers. It's no big deal.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
:laugh:, ill read that later, but i stopped talking about it over 12 hours ago:thud: - it was a good discussion, lasting 1-2 days.

We've all forgot about it.:yawn:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Read the rest now, very good comment FG.

I wanted Brighton away in the cup..although i wouldnt have got a ticket :rant:

Super Neils Sash Army

in a league above you.
Jun 5, 2008
Just been reading through this(very interesting thread!)
It must be obvious to everyone that this"paxo dan" or whatever his name is,is a total f*** wit!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here