Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Think Tony and Barber maybe thinking they've made a mistake..........

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I wish someone would put a name to this 25 goal striker, presumably rotting in someone's reserves at the moment....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But we seem to be overrun with support players 'who might chip in with a few'. Tex, Colunga, Lua Lua, Paddy Mac, March (when fit), Stephens (when fit), Crofts, Dunk (!), are all capable of making a contribution, as would Barnes no doubt.

But let's face it, we need a 25-goal striker if we are serious about mounting a promotion challenge. And based on previous form, that man's never going to be Ashley Barnes.

Personally I prefer goals being contributed from all over the place e.g. Dunk, Greer, Bruno. Put all your eggs in one basket/25 goal man and you're more than a bit stuffed as soon as he gets injured/suspended. Just needs our existing strikers to chip in the number of goals commensurate with their job description of 'Striker' and we'll SOAR up the table.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Virtually every one of the 20+goals Baldock scored last season ( except the pens) were like this and in the box chances.

Good. Not having watched any of his goals from last season I wouldnt know if thats right or wrong though it sounds promising for when he's fit.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
May just be thinking that Sami is not the right man to take us forward we are virtually 1/4 way through season now and its looking like a relegation scrap the way things are going.....2 wins in 11 is poor to say the least and with crowds already falling I reckon panic could set in!!!!!
still a long way to go and i am not starting to panic yet

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
the only thing i can think bloom and barber made a mistake with is not getting a top quality centre forward to replace ulloa and i dont class baldock colunga cms and ogrady as top quality forwards

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But let's face it, we need a 25-goal striker if we are serious about mounting a promotion challenge. And based on previous form, that man's never going to be Ashley Barnes.

29 goal a season striker and £11m signing Ross McCormack has scored as many goals as CMS this season for Fulham. 3.
25 goal a season striker and £8m signing Jordan Rhodes has scored as many goals as Lewis Dunk this season for Blackburn : 4
The Championship top scorer Britt Assombalonga couldn't even get a sniff of a goal last week against relegation no-hopers Brighton and Hove Albion.
League 1 striker, so clearly a no-no for the Albion, Callum Wilson, has managed 6 already this season for Bournemouth.
Top scorer for Norwich, Cameron Jerome scored 2 goals out of 28 appearances for er, Palace last season so he was obviously not what we're after.
middlesborough's top scorer Grant Leadbitter (6) is a midfielder. Expensive Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford has er, 2.
and Ashley Barnes has scored 0 goals this season, Glenn Murray has only 3 and hasn't looked same since injury, Wood is not impressing enough to get picked at Leicester. Zamora's record for QPR in last few season is patchy to say the least.

Obviously all we have to do is buy a 25 goal a year striker "like Ulloa" ... Easy ? Yep ? ??

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
29 goal a season striker and £11m signing Ross McCormack has scored as many goals as CMS this season for Fulham. 3.
25 goal a season striker and £8m signing Jordan Rhodes has scored as many goals as Lewis Dunk this season for Blackburn : 4
The Championship top scorer Britt Assombalonga couldn't even get a sniff of a goal last week against relegation no-hopers Brighton and Hove Albion.
League 1 striker, so clearly a no-no for the Albion, Callum Wilson, has managed 6 already this season for Bournemouth.
Top scorer for Norwich, Cameron Jerome scored 2 goals out of 28 appearances for er, Palace last season so he was obviously not what we're after.
middlesborough's top scorer Grant Leadbitter (6) is a midfielder. Expensive Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford has er, 2.
and Ashley Barnes has scored 0 goals this season, Glenn Murray has only 3 and hasn't looked same since injury, Wood is not impressing enough to get picked at Leicester. Zamora's record for QPR in last few season is patchy to say the least.

Obviously all we have to do is buy a 25 goal a year striker "like Ulloa" ... Easy ? Yep ? ??

Not at all. Think you misunderstood my post. My fault. I'm a total realist when it comes to signing a striker capable of this return.

But you have to face facts; Ings, Nugent and Vokes all scored 20 or more goals last season, while Charlie Austin bagged 19 for QPR.

In reply to some claiming Barnes is the answer, I was merely pointing out that he's unlikely to be the man to deliver anything like 20-plus goals - and that's the kind of return we will need for promotion.

I wasn't suggesting these golden boot strikers are easy to snap up. Quite the contrary.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Unfortunately, we really did slip up when we didn't go that bit further with Lewis Grabban. We (totally in retrospect I confess) should have made him an offer he couldn't refuse. And though I'm a huge fan of Mr Bloom, IMO his weakness is he does want everything at less price than it's worth. And sometimes as with the Grabban issue we lose out. That said I'm confident we will be up there in May ... somewhere near the top. :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I wasn't suggesting these golden boot strikers are easy to snap up. Quite the contrary.

Agreed. Its incredibly difficult to get this right and find the right striker as most other Champ clubs this season have shown.... Its also premature to write off our strikers after only a handful of starts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
May just be thinking that Sami is not the right man to take us forward /QUOTE]

Just a random ex-player taking the only job on offer. Undoubtedly not the best man to be taking us forward, just taking the only job that kept him off the dole. Shameful that we're now regarded as one step up from collecting benefits/picking up thruppence plus expenses from Sky Sports

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Agreed. Its incredibly difficult to get this right and find the right striker as most other Champ clubs this season have shown.... Its also premature to write off our strikers after only a handful of starts.

You won't find me writing them off. Far from it. I've got a feeling COG and Baldock could form a very decent partnership. We need to hold our nerve and give them plenty of game time. All those saying they're 'bums who can't deliver' are talking nonsense. Both have the track record to prove they can find the net.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Personally I think we have the strikers to get us all the goals we need. What we don't have is the strikers to play the system that managers repeatedly want them to play. I have no doubt that if you play to the strengths of CMS, Baldock etc. they will score goals. However, lumping balls into 5'4 strikers surrounded by 6'3 defenders, on their own, and expecting them to score is just not going to happen.

Having said that, to be fair to Baldock, he's had virtually no game time to settle in yet so maybe I am wrong.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I wonder who else applied for the job and was on the short list ? Maybe the club could be more open instead of acting like they're so smart at transfers and managers and they patently aren't

I know it shouldn't - but that really made me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here