Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Think Tony and Barber maybe thinking they've made a mistake..........

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We just need a goalscorer to emerge from somewhere, and it really is not clear where or when that might happen.

We are not being thrashed or that outplayed just so frustrating at present.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We just need a goalscorer to emerge from somewhere, and it really is not clear where or when that might happen.

We are not being thrashed or that outplayed just so frustrating at present.

That's the crux of the matter for me - i'd be more concerned if we were being turned over week in, week out (see Wanderers, Bolton) but the difference between results seems to be one mistake, or one bit of luck. I'm just hoping the pendulum swings the other way once or twice.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's the crux of the matter for me - i'd be more concerned if we were being turned over week in, week out (see Wanderers, Bolton) but the difference between results seems to be one mistake, or one bit of luck. I'm just hoping the pendulum swings the other way once or twice.

Indeed, which under the law of probability the pendulum will swing our way at some point.

If we were clueless and leaking goals then yes we have serious problem, but we know we are not.

However we seem to be able to perform the same against lower or upper opposition at present so not clear what that means.

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
We were not lucky last season we just punched above our weight while half the team was out injured which put us in the position to sneek into the play

I can remember two very very clear chances a decent striker would have buried today, the cross in the second half that fell to Gardiner on the six year box which he missed the tap in and the cross towards the end, there were also numerous times that a decent ball went into the box but there was nobody there. We have played very well IMO the last three games and got draws against a premier league relegated team and two top three teams and had we had a decent striker we would have easily one the last two games and a decent cross would have won the Forest game.

I am enjoying our football more this season than last, its more direct, even though we are playing it around the back as much and all that is missing at the moment is goals.

As fans we must back the manager, we have to have stability, maybe we won't get promoted this year but a few tweeks will make us a very good team next year.
Last year every team around the playoffs kept losing no one took advantage we sneaked in because of other teams not because of our own form even the forest game we scored in injury time. Your second point crosses going in the box with no one there, the way the team sets up the fullbacks push forward and the midfielders and to some extent the striker gets sucked back in to cover for our attacking defenders leaving no one up front ,the chances came very late in the game today the last couple of minutes .then your other point about decent cross in the forest game who's putting the crosses in(a winger no chance)just Bennett or Bruno both fullbacks who's crossing is mainly shit and while there crossing the ball in our attacking midfielders-are covering for them elsewhere many games iiv'e seen crofts as a right back . I think we have the team and squad to do much better but the managers tactics and rotation are wrong .When something is not working you change it ,game after game it's the same it can't always be bad luck

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Ten pages in and my response to the original statement is a simple "you're wrong", followed up with "don't be daft". I don't need to explain why.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I have been saying this for ages. Just to allow people tyo slate me as is a popular hobby how about a short term deal for Emile Heskey hre knows the manager and how to put the ball in the net and would offer more than COG does. I am not a keen Chris Woods man but if Wolves dont get him on loan he would be an improvement on the cheap inferior players we have bought in to replace those we have sold.

Heskey knows where the net is? :lolol: from 2004-2012 he scored 38 in 232.

He's recently managed 10 in 41 in some back water league.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our strikers have scored 1 goal in the league this season CMS against Bolton. What would Heskey cost, very little I would think, must be worth a 1 or 3 month contract to find out for sure if he is caspable of scoring for us. Surely he could hold the ball up and play CMS or Baldock in for them to score.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Our strikers have scored 1 goal in the league this season CMS against Bolton. What would Heskey cost, very little I would think, must be worth a 1 or 3 month contract to find out for sure if he is caspable of scoring for us. Surely he could hold the ball up and play CMS or Baldock in for them to score.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Kemy, COG, Hughes, Toko and potentially Corlunga & Stockdale were all mistakes.

Selling Ulloa was great business... but they had so much time to find a replacement and didn't.

I have absolutely no idea why you would think getting Hughes in was a mistake unless you think we should drop Dunk. Not that I agree with your potential mistakes particularly either, whatever that means.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have absolutely no idea why you would think getting Hughes in was a mistake unless you think we should drop Dunk. Not that I agree with your potential mistakes particularly either, whatever that means.
It's a very odd list.

Kemy - has the ball playing technique the team has been crying out for, for 2 seasons.
Clearly there are other 'issues', which is how we got him in the first place.

CoG - 'only' £500k for a 15 goal centre forward who offers something different, I'm strangely warming to him.

Hughes - 3 quality players for 2 places, as it should be.

Toko - Like Bridcutt and Ince he's not as good as Holla.
The club were obviously right in not turning down Holla by saying 'it's ok we have Toko now'.

Colunga - Fits the style of play Sami wants.

Stockdale - A bizarre clearance, some great attacking play, and an excellent save.
That's our goalies MO, deal with it.

I wonder if a team has ever had a 100% success rate in the transfer market.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
We have been accumulating losses year after year. With the majority of the division going on a spending spree this year there is no way we could join them.

I think this season has been judged right. We've made some good sales and have covered some losses and we haven't joined in with the spending circus of the others and can now watch the consequences of FFP without panicking.

We've got a new manager with a more attacking style which needs time. Use this season to consolidate, get ready for next year, find a good Championship striker in the summer and push on next season.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Look at his previous record in the Championship, then consider his start with us. Then consider why we didn't spend the money we needed to spend on Ulloa's replacement. Surely even you can't be so shortsighted that you can't spot our striker failings, and that includes Baldock (unfortunately not limited to him). Our beloved strikers have 1, count them 1, goal between them in 11 (eleven) Championship games. Think before you post for a change.

How much did we spend on Ulloa again?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We have been accumulating losses year after year. With the majority of the division going on a spending spree this year there is no way we could join them.

I think this season has been judged right. We've made some good sales and have covered some losses and we haven't joined in with the spending circus of the others and can now watch the consequences of FFP without panicking.

We've got a new manager with a more attacking style which needs time. Use this season to consolidate, get ready for next year, find a good Championship striker in the summer and push on next season.

My thoughts entirely. I am enjoying the games this season much more than last, and am confident we're improving. Away draws at Forest and Watford are good results.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not necessarily Wood but that kind of striker. Most of our shots are from 10 or more yards out, most goals are scored within 10.. Its not shooting accuracy thats the problem its getting the ball into the most dangerous areas, even so there were a couple of occasions today when the right striker wouldve taken a gamble and we'd have won the game. We need the striker that can unsettle defences and force the ball home when it does come across/drop into those areas. Watching the live stream we offered no real threat up front especially when taking pot shots from distance.

Virtually every one of the 20+goals Baldock scored last season ( except the pens) were like this and in the box chances.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm not necessarily of the belief that he's a hot shot striker, but I believe he had a decent goal return considering he was often deployed as a wide man/midfielder/support striker etc. I think he would offer a decent return considering how much attacking football we are playing under Sami.

But we seem to be overrun with support players 'who might chip in with a few'. Tex, Colunga, Lua Lua, Paddy Mac, March (when fit), Stephens (when fit), Crofts, Dunk (!), are all capable of making a contribution, as would Barnes no doubt.

But let's face it, we need a 25-goal striker if we are serious about mounting a promotion challenge. And based on previous form, that man's never going to be Ashley Barnes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here