Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you hate about driving in the UK

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
BMW's - do they have a special setting which automatically tailgates the car in front and can only be driven at at least double the speed limit and makes everybody who drives them a total arsehole,VW combi vans and VW Golfs that have those stupid f***ing spotlights on all the time,anybody that uses foglights the second the Sun goes behind a cloud,drivers who seem to think it's O.K. to text/use mobile 'phones when driving,especially the dozy mare who T-boned me at a stop sign writing my car off and giving me hair line fractures in three vertebrae in my neck,because she was texting her mate that she would be late meeting her to go swimming,drivers who deliberately try and block your exit onto a sliproad,traffic queue jumpers - they should all be shot in the back of the head thus blowing out what few Brain cells they may have,anybody who drives within 50 Metres of me and basically anybody on the road when I am and lastly,my Wife,possibly the worst driver EVER in the History of the Universe.

A lot of 2 wheel drive BMW drivers get their comeuppence in icy weather when their rear wheels driven motor just sits there spinning its wheels, especially trying to do hill starts. Saw several examples of that today. They didn't look quite so smug then.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
BMW's - do they have a special setting which automatically tailgates the car in front and can only be driven at at least double the speed limit and makes everybody who drives them a total arsehole,VW combi vans and VW Golfs that have those stupid f***ing spotlights on all the time,anybody that uses foglights the second the Sun goes behind a cloud,drivers who seem to think it's O.K. to text/use mobile 'phones when driving,especially the dozy mare who T-boned me at a stop sign writing my car off and giving me hair line fractures in three vertebrae in my neck,because she was texting her mate that she would be late meeting her to go swimming,drivers who deliberately try and block your exit onto a sliproad,traffic queue jumpers - they should all be shot in the back of the head thus blowing out what few Brain cells they may have,anybody who drives within 50 Metres of me and basically anybody on the road when I am and lastly,my Wife,possibly the worst driver EVER in the History of the Universe.

Why is a BMW like a mild case of piles?

Because you know that eventually every arsehole will have one.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Tailgaters - no I am not going to go any faster, in fact I might even slow down to make sure I stay within the speed limit. And flashing your headlights won't help either because I may have to go even slower to ensure a safe stopping distance if a chicken suddenly wants to cross the road in front of me to get to other side.

One of the main reasons I left UK.

Too many people, too many cars, not enough capacity on the roads for people in too much of a hurry.

Motorways here are pretty well empty, toll free and roadwork free.

Driving here is a pleasure, not a chore.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
A couple of things really get my goat.

1) Old people in car parks. When they are reversing and cannot move their necks due to age so they just reverse out without looking, hoping for a spot of luck that no-one is coming.
2) Anyone who tries to overtake me, no chance.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Several things spring to mind, some of which have already been mentioned on here so here are some of the others ...

People who are turning right at a T junction and decide to pull out to block a lane of the main carriageway despite there being no gap to finish their maneuver so that traffic from it's right can't continue and have to stop until a vehicle coming from the left stops to let the car blocking the traffic out. If i am coming from the left, i don't let them out and hope that they sit there a long time feeling suitably embarrassed for their selfish behaviour.

People who race to pull out in front of you at a junction (usually forcing you to brake / slow down) and then proceed to drive really slowly despite that fact that there wasn't any traffic behind you so they could have let you past first (as there was plenty of time to allow this) before maneuvering into an empty lane where they could go as fast or slow as they want.

People who pull out onto a roundabout having only checked to see if there are vehicles coming form the roundabout entry to their right and never check first to see if anything is already going around the roundabout which will pass them. - I have had several near misses where people haven't looked and just pulled out right in front of me whilst i'm already on and going round the roundabout (especially common in Crowborough and at the phoenix causeway / Tesco roundabout in Lewes.)

People who brake for every slight bend in the road or every time there is a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction, which can occur day or night - why?

People who drive really slowly except for the only time where you might be able to overtake and then they speed up meaning you can't, only for them to slow right down again once the space to overtake has past.

The roads are quite empty now with noticeably less traffic about, so why do people have to drive so close to the car in front, even if there was no way for that car to move out of the way (such as when they are overtaking vehicles on the A27) they are usually about a car and a half away whilst traveling at 60 to 70mph. - Absolutely no reason or justification for this.

People who don't use any lights in fog.

Slow drivers on most roads who only ever speed through 30mph zones but never even reach the speed limit on higher speed roads.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
For a bit light relief, and believe me I agree with many of the posts on this thread, visit

youparklikeacunt.com

It does highlight driver,vehicle types !

Yep, I know this website and its hilarious. Few of us at work want to put a few colleagues cars on this but probably get sacked!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tailgaters - no I am not going to go any faster, in fact I might even slow down to make sure I stay within the speed limit. And flashing your headlights won't help either because I may have to go even slower to ensure a safe stopping distance if a chicken suddenly wants to cross the road in front of me to get to other side.

Tailgating doesn't work.

I just slow down a fair amount, and take even longer to eventually pull into the slower lane.

Glancing in the mirror at the cock's tense arms glued to the top of their steering wheel, reveals all.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Probably been said already but bizarre lane discipline. I'm often on the M25 at about four in the morning on the way to work and am always amused to find people poodling along in the fourth of five lanes on an almost entirely empty motorway? At that time of the morning it is amusing. Later on when things thicken up it is bloody annoying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here