Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Things We Have Learnt From The Fulham Away Game

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think it has confirmed that is pretty much our best 11 and set up.

The only question mark for me is the Trossard position - he looks woefully short of form so I think we should probably try AJ or Mac Allister starting in that role next time if he is fit enough.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
1) Sanchez has to be our new number 1

2) Dunk was back to his old self. Maybe has far more confidence with Sanchez behind him

3) Welbeck is clearly not the answer to our goal-scoring problem

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The only question mark for me is the Trossard position - he looks woefully short of form so I think we should probably try AJ or Mac Allister starting in that role next time if he is fit enough.

Would rather have Maupay alongside Welbeck and Lallana behind them..........

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

I don’t understand this thought process.
Not much came off for Trossard last and his early season form appears gone for now, however he was in game, he was involved in most of our forward movements. In 20 minutes I literally can’t remember a thing Ali J did, he is the consummate passenger. Yet for some reason loads want him to start despite the evidence that he offers very little when he does.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
That our coaching staff are DELUDED if they think that the best option when we have a throw-in deep in the opponents half with two minutes left against one of the worst teams in the league and the game at nil-nil, is to throw the ball back towards our own goal and within two passes have it back with our keeper. WTAF.

If we EVER had ANY success with slow build up play, then there may be a miniscule reason for doing that, but we don't.

I also learnt that I cannot differentiate between Gareth Southgate and Matt Upson's voices.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It seemed to be crying out for two strikers, and Maupay would have scored that welbeck chance I'm certain.

Didn't lose, eventually coped with their press and got control of the game - but somehow didn't score again.

Constant changing of the side is stopping people getting into good runs of form and developing partnerships.

Biss is becoming so so good, I worry we'll lose him before the rest of the side can develop to his level. What a player he has become.

There must be some sort of "issue" with MAcalister otherwise he would have had a proper chance by now. Only (fit) player now in the 25 not to have started a league game i think.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don’t understand this thought process.
Not much came off for Trossard last and his early season form appears gone for now, however he was in game, he was involved in most of our forward movements. In 20 minutes I literally can’t remember a thing Ali J did, he is the consummate passenger. Yet for some reason loads want him to start despite the evidence that he offers very little when he does.

AJ came on in the 79th minute. :mad:

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I hope some leaned that the Team is "up for it". Whatever comments about quality etc, it would be hard to deny that the predictions (hopes?) of some that we are too lightweight, roll-over too easily, too nice to play against etc etc. just didn't materialise. Dunk's reaction to Sanchez' saves was a fantastic example of the pride in the team to keep a clean sheet. Whatever accusations you want to throw at the team, I don't think "lack of passion" is one of them

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
1) We haven't lost to anyone below us yet
2) We haven't beaten anyone below us yet
3) We were slightly better than Fulham
4) Sanchez is more reassuring and kicks like a mule. Rather a big boomer than Ryan's little chips out to our flanks or straight ouit of play.
5) Back three looked ok but Webster has one critical error per game in his locker ( Sanchez bailed him out last night )
6) Our only hope is to keep Lamptey, Bissouma and Lallana fit.
7) Welbeck will get the odd very good goal but in between will miss plenty of chances.
8)Trossard is a luxury we can't afford.
9) Ali J is not the answer.
10) Potter realises we are in the manure and is prepared to grind out ugly points. Hooray.
( Don't bet on us beating Sheff Utd )

Great post and nailed it!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I learnt that I don’t think I have ever been so frustrated whilst watching the Albion over such a long period. Absolutely nothing seems to be going our way at the moment. We have dropped so many points (not necessarily last night) this season and it’s not because we have been shit either, although we have had a couple of bad halves and weren’t great against Everton and Leicester.

I genuinely think we are so much better than our points tally and this is affecting the confidence of the team.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There must be some sort of "issue" with MAcalister otherwise he would have had a proper chance by now. Only (fit) player now in the 25 not to have started a league game i think.

Always looks good to me when he comes on. I can't see why Ali J or Trossard get the nod before him. I'd like to see a front three of him behind two of Connolly, Welbeck or Maupay.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I genuinely think we are so much better than our points tally and this is affecting the confidence of the team.

THis is the concern that rings alarm bells with the 'too good to go down'

playing well and being unlucky bla de bla. Its all about points, and the way to get them is to win games. That needs to change.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
We have a far more patient board than the other Albion, who sacked their manager after a great result and winning 12 more games than we have over the same period. Surely GP must be feeling a little bit of pressure now? I do hope he can turn the results around soon

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I learnt that I don’t think I have ever been so frustrated whilst watching the Albion over such a long period. Absolutely nothing seems to be going our way at the moment. We have dropped so many points (not necessarily last night) this season and it’s not because we have been shit either, although we have had a couple of bad halves and weren’t great against Everton and Leicester.

I agree.. even if you’re cynical, you’d have to agree we’ve deserved more points this season. Absolutely robbed in some (Man U 110th minute penalty).

And last night too.. Var’d goal, cross bar.

It feels like we’re really close to getting a special winning run going. It has to turn. If we keep performing our wretched luck has to turn.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Funny that the main take away for some from a sloppy match where both sides just booted the ball, where for the seconds game in the row Welbeck missed a great chance, where Brighton failed to get three crucial points against an inferior team, is that Alireza is a waste of money and a shit player because he didn't managed to single handly turn the game around in ten minutes of garbage time.

i say old boy .....steady on ...!!

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

Frustrated is the word Icy, but imagine how it would feel if we hadn't deserved anything from the majority of games. The frustration is built on the fact that apart from one or two periods, we have consistently been "in" games and regularly should have been in a position to win them. This was Bournemouth and Southampton (from memory) a couple of season ago.. they were in the S**t but had enough in their game to know that they could win matches.. I always think we have another, more defensive way to play if we need to - but we still have the opportunity to keep trying our current and it may yet still pay-off. It could be really exciting.... but because we can see that, it is really frustrating right now. This is the problem I think that Fulham, West Brom, Sheff.United have - as we did under Hughton - they know how not to lose games, but really struggle to see how they can win them very often and in doing so run the risk of losing. We haven't done it yet, but it is possible to see that we could do it.. for me anyway!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here