Things that have "No Place in Football"

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Things that should have no place in football but sadly they do are:-
1. Alan Green
2. All seater stadiums
3. Man U and Liverpool blatant dives and for penalties and soft free kicks that nobody else gets
4. Liverpool and Man U's 5 to 10 minutes of extra time when they need a goal

I'd say it's Chelsea and United

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The parents of any child that is wearing a Man U or Liverpool shirt, they have to be held responsible.

Unless they are from Manchester or Liverpool of course.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tight-fitting so-called compression undershirts.

If they have such a marked effect on performance, why (a) isn't every player wearing them and (b) are there hardly any of them about so far this season?

Another marketing con, no more, no less.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Tight-fitting so-called compression undershirts.

If they have such a marked effect on performance, why (a) isn't every player wearing them and (b) are there hardly any of them about so far this season?

Another marketing con, no more, no less.

nasal strips

vicks on shirts making look like you have just come from a bukkake shoot

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
nasal strips

vicks on shirts making look like you have just come from a bukkake shoot

Lycra shorts

Lace-up shirts

Replica football shirts that were just "shirts", not shirts featuring Patented Ultraspangletex(R)TM thermodynamic sub-clavicular vents for proven 0.04% advantage* in kinetic energy transference, with unique NoDripTM wicking technology to maximise comfort and minimise performance-detracting body odour, and NauticalFlareTM PlutoniumSuperColorXY09 panels, designed by NASA engineers to enhance visibility and enable wider visionary field*Actual performance enhancement level may vary

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Robbie Keane's goal celebrations.

Oooh, good one. Why on earth would anyone want to celebrate something as monumental as a goal with the sort of elementary forward roll and lopsided cartwheel that a five year old learns to accomplish with their Level 4 Gymnastics award?

All contrived goal celebrations should be binned, IMHO, they are almost always appalling.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
talking of goal celabrations...

Taking one's shirt off - at any point. Silly look at me behaviour.

Lacking in class IMHO.

Anyway, back on track: 18 year old Championship level players driving Range Rover Sports etc.

Just wrong.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
All contrived goal celebrations should be binned, IMHO, they are almost always appalling.

Mick Channon had the best one, it was like he was trying to crank up an old bus motor, or fly?

Look at 4:37mins in this clip

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE388_zcEVg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE388_zcEVg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Although he used to wind me up in the 70's and 80's (because he was so bloody good), Graham Souness said it all really last week. Yes he's been a crap manager but he hit the nail on the head with his comments about pro footballers now.

Never thought I'd say it but I yearn for players like him to return to the game, HARD as nails and would run through a brick wall for their team mates. You'd want him on your side in a war, how many pussy players can you say that about now?

Overpaid footballers deters Graeme Souness from management return - Telegraph

Questioning and swearing at officials during the match.

They almost never change their minds, and it's awful to see or hear from players.

Any form of cheating ought to be punished, and video reviews from the sidelines could be used to assist such decisions.

Obvious fouls to stop an opposing team's build up, when defenders are outnumbered should be punished with a sending off even if not the last man.

Albion corner-takers ought to get bans if they can't get the ball high enough to reach the goal area.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Questioning and swearing at officials during the match.

They almost never change their minds, and it's awful to see or hear from players.

Any form of cheating ought to be punished, and video reviews from the sidelines could be used to assist such decisions.

Obvious fouls to stop an opposing team's build up, when defenders are outnumbered should be punished with a sending off even if not the last man.

Albion corner-takers ought to get bans if they can't get the ball high enough to reach the goal area.

no one in league one can deliver a corner properly. its not a skill you see at this level. seriously, watch. corners are the most pointless dead ball you can win at this level. you might as well give a goal kick.

not that any dead ball is a benefit outside your own half, in this division now, to be honest.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mick Channon had the best one, it was like he was trying to crank up an old bus motor, or fly?

Look at 4:37mins in this clip

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE388_zcEVg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE388_zcEVg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

What a magnificent clip!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
People who say "well, football is a business now.." like it makes them all wise and cynical.

It has been for a hundred odd years you cnts. Its like saying, "well owning shops is a business these days".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you're missing the point, yes it was'nt great at times and the conditions at foootball were poor but it had SOUL. I'm nearly fourty now and apart from my love of the Albion I've practically given up on football, I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription last week and feel liberated.

Good post and a good point. I dont really follow any other football beyond Brighton and a casual interest in the Bundesliga these days. I will watch the international tournaments but I cannot be bothered with England.

I've never bothered with Sky or whatever and cannot say I feel I've missed out on anything. I get fed up with the hype, but maybe also as one gets older other interests take over? I've got a number of things I get up to which all take time....time I'd rather not spend stuck on a sofa in front of the telly or down the pub with a load of goons staring at a plasma screen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here