Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things in life that are utterly pointless

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There was somebody v. famous, I think maybe Oscar Wilde, who answered the question on the form: 'Do you intend to overthrow the United States government?' with the thread-closed answer: 'Sole purpose of visit' :lol:
there was also the old lady being questioned bu US customs who was asked the question " would you try to overthrow the US govt by political subversion or armed revolt ?" she thought for a few secondas and answered "armed revolt probably" , apparently a true story !

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
dimming the lights in the airplane for night landings!!

when a camp male trolley dolly on the tannoy says "as we are landing we have to dim the lights because of the flight path over residential housing, but for additional lighting turn on the light above your head"

Why do they bother turning the lights off, when you can some more on anyway, and do the people below ACTUALLY care about lights being dimmed when a 60 tonne raquet is flying over head at 200mph?? POINTLESS

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Hoping that the UK does not blindly follow US foreign policy every time there is an international crisis.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A pilot friend told me that the real reason they do this is so that your eyes become used to the dark in case the plane crashes!! :(

I heard the exact same thing the other day. surely though they should, as the plane is about to touch down, scream "BRACE,BRACE,BRACE" to help you get some adrenaline going as well?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
blunt pencils

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Au contraire edna...I am always tempted to put the lifejacket on as soon as I get on the aircraft, whenever one ends up in the drink all you ever see is lifejackets and the odd bit of fuselage floating around...I reckon that if I am already attached to one of said lifejackets then I must be in with a chance.

That might be silly. Here is a video of an Ethiopian Airlines Flight from 1996 doing a crash landing on water. Fifty of the 175 survived, but more survived the crash only to be trapped inside the plane by their lifejackets. The pilot told them to inflate it AFTER they got out but some people panicked and inflated them while they were still inside. Consequently as the plane sank and filled with water they floated up to the roof and couldn't get out.

[yt]tZyDrpeWoBw[/yt]

Still not sure about the whistle though. But I guess if it had been dark they would have been useful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here