Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things from your childhood that still freak you out

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I was on YouTube, looking at the 'Box of Delights' clips and a link to this came up. Still scared the absolute bejesus out of me to the point where the hairs on the back of my neck are only just returning to their resting positions!!

[yt]e3ztIDFU2P8&NR=1[/yt]

What still scares you well in to adulthood?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
That **** with the big nose on chitty chitty bang bang.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Salem's Lot did a significant number on me when I was a walnut whipper. Have never revisited it since for fear of being disappointed.

D

Deleted User X18H

Micheal Robinson rolling a pass to Gordon Smith !!!

Children Of The Stones ....I have it on DVD now and would not watch it alone!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Chocky :eek:

Mind you, the Box of Delights was pretty frightening too.

And Emu's Pink Windmill, not so much the content as the fact as kids we were always warned about the danger of strange men trying to lure children into their homes.

"There's somebody at the door"? Scream for help and make a run for it, I say.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Salem's Lot did a significant number on me when I was a walnut whipper. Have never revisited it since for fear of being disappointed.

Good call.
I have revisited it, and can confirm it is still GENUINELY unsettling (the David Soul version, that is).

1. The bit where Danny Glick is floating outside that kids bedroom window, in the mist, softly scraping the glass and pleading to be let in.

2. That fearsome snaggle-toothed head honcho vampire. ESPECIALLY the bit where it appears, brazen as you like, in someones well-lit kitchen. I thought you'd only see it skulking about in darkened crypts and graveyards, so to put a beast like that in such a DOMESTIC setting absolutely horrified me.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
There was a bone chilling public information film about playing on the railways that was on 'Nationwide' when i was at school.

The idea was that 2 schools competed in an It's a Knockout kind of game, including playing chicken across the track,chucking bricks at an oncoming train and ending with each team walking down a tunnel into the path of an oncoming train!!

I think some kids fainted in the studio and i was shit-scared after watching it and was the talk of my school for ages!!

Anyone else remember it??

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't remember that particular railway one, but government information films were nearly always entertaining, typically featuring children wearing monstrously large flares, chucking frisbees and/or kites into power lines, with disastrous consequences.

This site is an excellent source of such unintentionally funny films, including one about the danger of climbing into disused fridges (WTF??):

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1964to1979/filmpage_safe.htm

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The Banana Splits scared me - especially that elephanty one who never spoke. Very disturbing even now.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
does anybody remember the educational film about sniffing glue? it was set in croydon and the lad was a palace fan, he was meant to go to smellhurst on his 12th birthday or something to see the pikeys win promotion, but he was lured into sniffing some aerosol and died. happy days for a young HYS.

that film NEEDS to be found.

*writes down in notebook*

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The film on the dangers of electricitiy called "Electric Graffiti". It was pretty graphic in terms of what happens to someone when they were electricuted. Although by the time we got to our final year at school it was cult viewing and we insisted on watching it in our final ever Physics lesson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here