Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thigs in Brighton that are no longer there/changed names

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
What a great thread full of nostalgia.

Let's get the frivolous out of the way first. I remember Saxon of the vegetarian restaurant in George Street, Brighton too. I also remember her huge tits and used to make complimentary comments to her about them, as she was so proud of them. She showed cleavage decades before they came in to fashion. I don't remember her freckles though. :blush:

I used to bowl in leagues at both the King Alfred and the Hove Bowl. Unlike Yorkie I preferred the KA because it was maintained better than the Hove Bowl.

I preferred the latter venue when it was The Odeon cinema, Hove. As a kid I used to go to Saturday morning flicks at The Granada in Portland Road. (We are the girls and boys well known as, Minors of the ABC - - - -) I saw many a Tarzan film at The Rothbury, (now Southern Sound studios) Portslade too.

The Hot Pie Shop near to the original St Barnabus Church Hall in Sackville Road comes to mind, and its sister shop in St James's Street has already been mentioned. I used to go roller-skating at The Ritz Roller Rink in West Street and afterwards I would look forward to a Beano Pie from that shop.

I used to stand in The Cage at the skating rink at the bottom of West Street being thrilled by The Kid Line of Brighton Tigers. Sometimes I would have a proper hot dog with a real sausage and fried onions from O'Hagan's on the seafront around Middle Street after the game.

Oh to re-live the years of the late fifties and early sixties. Coffee bars abound in Brighton and Hove, although the only name I can recall is The Ballerina in George Street, Hove. Rock and roll would be played all of the time on their jukeboxes. Were we really content with just Pepsi or espresso coffee?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
nobody's dupe said:
. Sometimes I would have a proper hot dog with a real sausage and fried onions from O'Hagan's on the seafront around Middle Street after the game.

O'Hagan's hot-dogs!Boy,did they taste good after a night on the piss in the Top Rank Suite!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Beano pies from St.James' Street. :clap2:

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
The Clock Tower Cafe. Amazingly lovely breakfasts, top hand cut chips and the most miserable woman in the world. Top Quality.

By the way the most miserable man in the world works in the Plough in Seaford.

Yeah, I remember that woman, consistently miserable. I was a regular in there around 1997 & tried every morning to get a smile out of her. I failed, not even a flicker.

That bloke in Seaford, I think I know who you mean. Short bloke, glasses? He was running the Hole In The Wall in 1990. We were in there for England v Belgium in the World Cup. He told us off for rowdiness shortly after kick-off, but we must have bought plenty of beer though because when it went to extra time he brought over sausages & chips on the house!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
West Hove Golf Club on Old Shoreham Road
The Golf Shop, Lewes Road
David Rose Sports at the Dials, Wisdens

The Frock & Jacket
The downstairs bar at the Park View by the bus stop

The Volks Railway to the Lido...or is that still there?
The old machines on the pier. Charlie Chaplin walks inside a glass case when you put (an old) penny in. What the Butler Saw. "Let's go watch the bloke dive into a ring of fire, then buzz coins at that beachcomber dosser"
The Aquarium - fishes, and the Who? Apparently so.
The miniature raliway in the top corner of Hove Park. C'mon Daaad !
The Cottage - loads of vinyl, second hand. Wish I knew what they all were then, as I bet I stared at loads that are now worth a mint! Got a lot of my earliest records there though, and some from Royce Radio down Trafalgar Street, and some converted garage on Brunswick St. East.
Virgin Records where Boots now is, where Desmond the black homeless geezer used to amble in off 'is 'ead and lope over to your beanbag and banter while you were still wearing the headphones.
Sounds Unlimited (?) - with Gerry and his humungous sideburns and doc Martens.
Sloopys - "I am Swedish. We go Schloopy yes? After we dance badly to dishco, we go to beach and rub each other sexy part, yes?" Yes.
The Hungry Years - now a gay joint.

nobody's dupe said:

As a kid I used to go to Saturday morning flicks at The Granada in Portland Road. (We are the girls and boys well known as, Minors of the ABC - - - -)

I went there too, saw the Pathe News and 77 Sunset Strip Bugs Bunny Laurel and Hardy, then someone always let off a stink bomb they got from the novelty shop across the street and it stank the place up, but you had to laugh, especially if someone chucked a tomato at the bloke who introduced the show that morning.
The thing was, now that I think about it, we used to walk there and back without a parent. I dunno if you'd want your 5 year old doing that now.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
nobody's dupe said:

I used to bowl in leagues at both the King Alfred and the Hove Bowl. Unlike Yorkie I preferred the KA because it was maintained better than the Hove Bowl.

I preferred the latter venue when it was The Odeon cinema, Hove. As a kid I used to go to Saturday morning flicks at The Granada in Portland Road. (We are the girls and boys well known as, Minors of the ABC - - - -) I saw many a Tarzan film at The Rothbury, (now Southern Sound studios) Portslade too.

The Hot Pie Shop near to the original St Barnabus Church Hall in Sackville Road comes to mind, and its sister shop in St James's Street has already been mentioned. I used to go roller-skating at The Ritz Roller Rink in West Street and afterwards I would look forward to a Beano Pie from that shop.

I used to stand in The Cage at the skating rink at the bottom of West Street being thrilled by The Kid Line of Brighton Tigers. Sometimes I would have a proper hot dog with a real sausage and fried onions from O'Hagan's on the seafront around Middle Street after the game.

Oh to re-live the years of the late fifties and early sixties. Coffee bars abound in Brighton and Hove, although the only name I can recall is The Ballerina in George Street, Hove. Rock and roll would be played all of the time on their jukeboxes. Were we really content with just Pepsi or espresso coffee?

The Granada had all the latest films and it was the Saturday night entertainment. Summer Holiday, The Ipcress File, Ben Hur etc etc. I used to go to the Sat morning matinees as well.

I still fill up when I think of the Brighton Tigers. I hated Brighton council then as much as I hate Lewes council now. :angry:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Jesus Gul said:
West Hove Golf Club on Old Shoreham Road
The Golf Shop, Lewes Road
David Rose Sports at the Dials, Wisdens

The Frock & Jacket
The downstairs bar at the Park View by the bus stop

Just trawled all the way through this marvellous thread. I had just thought about WHGC when I saw your post! I get almost as angry when I see the Sainsbury's at the 1st green as I do at the Goldstone retail park. I know the Park View well and worked there occasionally. Not surprised they got rid of the downstairs bar. Always had a completely different clientele to the upstairs one.

Was also going to suggest David Rose sports. Is Swift Sports still there on the Old Steine and the one just down from Hove Station?

Just about all the pubs I used to drink in regularly in the 80s aren't there any more:-

Coasters, Smugglers (when under-age), The Quadrant, The Volunteer(best juke-box in Brighton), Green Dragon (expecially the beer garden on Saturday lunchtimes in the summer), The Escape, Subterfuge, Savannah (don't think it's there any more), gigs at the Top Rank.

Can't believe Gamleys isn't there any more. Gutted.

What about that weird circular cafe/restaurant in the middle of Churchill Square? Pretty sure that's been knocked down as well. It was next to the wishing well.

Can anyone remember Fagans under the old ABC cinema at the bottom of East street? First time I got served up town aged 16 and a half was there. Went out with a fiver, had three pints and went home well pissed. Happy days

Last edited:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Jambo Seagull said:

Was also going to suggest David Rose sports. Is Swift Sports still there on the Old Steine and the one just down from Hove Station?

Can anyone remember Fagans under the old ABC cinema at the bottom of East street? First time I got served up town aged 16 and a half was there. Went out with a fiver, had three pints and went home well pissed. Happy days

Remember Fagans circa 1974. Also on Sports shops, Edwards, Portland Road & Hove Sports Depot, Palmeira Square.

My mate and I used to pry open a door that was set into the Top Rank Skating Rink on the seafront side, and get in for free. We had a way of sneaking some of the house's skates too, sometimes.

Skating is excellent for watching birds in negligee-type outfits and high ankle-boots, bending in every way possible to show underwear and cleavage :p :clap:

Such a graceful sport of culture and beauty :thumbsup: :drool:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hanningtons and Vokins. Brighton now doesn't have a proper department store - I don't count Debenhams, as it's just a branch of a chain, and now the Co-op in London Road is going, there will effectively be nothing at all of its kind.

The Lamb and Flag - a proper traditional pub in the very heart of Brighton, now a poncey style bar.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Jambo Seagull said:

Swifts is still there, the others have gone. The last David Rose sportshop in Western Road Hove shut last year when the owner suddenly died.

tHE Seven Dials when all the roads were double laned and there was not a roundabout:eek:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
sams dad said:
O'Hagan's hot-dogs!Boy,did they taste good after a night on the piss in the Top Rank Suite!

until reading that, i had completely forgotton about those hotdogs, and how right you are, i used to go to the top rank on a sunday night mainly, that was the "IN" night to go there :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here