Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thigs in Brighton that are no longer there/changed names

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Gaffer said:
So what was it called? Did well in there with the young ladies and happy snooker nights with the lads.. :clap:

That would be Jumpin' Jaks. Had 2 blokes doing Duelling Piano's on the stage.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
555kaz said:
The toy department in the old Churchill Square Tescos, used to get most of my Star Wars figures from there when I was a wee lad :down:

Sort of otcan anyone remember the name of a toy shop along Western Road in the early 80's, going towards Churchill Sq from Hove(actually) on the right hand side, thing the sign had green writing on a black background, would of been where Game is now, I think.

I was further up than that, it was where KFC is now. The shop you are thinking of was called Games World as I remember. Certainly had a green and black sign. Had board games upstairs, and downstairs had the all the D&D, toy soldiers, and a cabinet with all of the Nintendo 'Game And Watch' games like Donkey Kong. Was always packed out full of kids on a Saturday.

It then became a burger place called Huckleberrys and then KFC.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Thank you so much everyone else I've asked couldn't even remember it exsisted I'm not mad. Also does anyone else remember the Comet by Brighton Station/New Enlgalnd St, used to get really excited there as a kid, where you had to go up the escalators to get in the shop

Yorkie said:
:D
Congratulations.

My favourite place to go was in Shoreham though. It was called the Dolphin coffee bar near the British Legion just above the station. I think it is a chinese takeaway nowadays.

My friend co-owns the web design place next door to that, and yes is chinese takeaway

The computer game shop next to the toilets at the bottom of the old Churchill Square. Also the Warehouse Club and just along from it Eds Diner I think it was called, opposite the cricketers in the Lanes.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
daveyboybhafc2 said:
Yea, I completely forgot about that, it wasn't there for long at all and i cant really remember too much about it, closed down and they put sports soccer and that japanese clothing shop which then changed again to a diff clothes shop in there

And before that, it was the Essoldo. In its latter years a bingo hall, but I remember when it was a cinema.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
How about this for a very (un)rapid seafront transport system :

brightonseavoyageonwheels.jpg

Last edited:

Le Premier Cru said:
Please confirm - it's been plaguing me for some days now - is the William Tell the pub that became The Lift and is now Polar Central (the scene of Boring Bob Grover's last gig, last Friday, with 'the Dates')?

YEP

LOVED COMET. Great place, the building (from kids eyes) seemed enormous.

Alhambra, Belverdere, Quadrant were my main haunts b4 I left Brighton.

I witnessed a great "drug" gang battle from a pub backing onto the Steine, we left, to safer climes = the Belverdere. Was just drinking a pint of HSb when the windows started to get smashed in and men with baseball bats appeared from no where.

:drink:

Last edited:

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
555kaz said:
The computer game shop next to the toilets at the bottom of the old Churchill Square.

That would be Softcentre. Was next to the school uniform shop.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
capone said:
The Cottage (coffee bar) in Middle Street.
The Big Apple.
J. Lyon & Co cafe in North Street
The Curzon and Embassy cinemas in Western Road, and there used to be a cinema in North Street but I've forgotten its name. But it was the first non-smoker.

Wasn't the Cottage also a record shop opposite the Theatre Royal ran by two gay blokes?
The 'Years'
Shades Bar - still there but a new name
Windsor Tavern - still there but more a wine bar these days.
Brighton Locomotive Work
The Dog Tray
The Coach Station at the bottom of St James Street
Virgin where boots is now.
Virgin where the Albion shop is now

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
London Calling said:
LOVED COMET. Great place, the building (from kids eyes) seemed enormous.

Alhambra, Belverdere, Quadrant were my main haunts b4 I left Brighton.

I witnessed a great "drug" gang battle from a pub backing onto the Steine, we left, to safer climes = the Belverdere. Was just drinking a pint of HSb when the windows started to get smashed in and men with baseball bats appeared from no where.

:drink:
God I remember the Alhambra, & the Quadrant was always one of the best pubs in Brighton.

hitony said:
is that the volunteer just up from the seven dials ? ....cos i used that pub quite a bit in the 70s

So did I? On Dyke Road,

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
33057 Seagull said:
Surely The Voulunteer was on the corner of Bond street & Church Street?

New Road and Church Street surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here