Green buses for Southdown

Blue for Brighton corporation

Smugglers

Swifts

Club underneath swifths

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Dolphinarium. - Thank god!

The Lamb and Flag on the corner of Old Churchill Square with old man Vic sat in the corner, who had been to nearly 2000 Brighton games.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yorkie said:
I presume so. I saw some great shows there. The Beatles appeared in 63 although I couldn't get tickets.

It's still used as a bingo hall and the stunning interior is still intact. It'll probably make a great restaurant or pub once its clientele shuffles off.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
On matchdays in the mid 70s me and a couple of mates used to get the train in to Brighton early morning and then trawl through all the record shops (new & second hand) of which there were many between Trafalgar Street and North Street. The only one I can remember by name was ALSO called The Cottage, in Church St across the road from the Corn Exchange theatre.

Before we could get away with going in pubs we used to go a cafe/tea room in the Lanes, Union St, called the Lorelei.

Later, as we....err 'matured' we went into Nobles bar on New Rd because at that time, amazingly enough, it was about the only place you could get a pint of Harvey's in Brighton. Then, on our way to the Ground we'd walk along Western Road to go and have a King and Barnes (also v rare in Brighton) in Puttnam's wine bar; down Preston St on the right. Then, if you went out the back of Puttnam's into Little Preston St there was a real old hippy/head shop that sold bootleg LPs. Then on to the Goldstone past the Cricket Ground.

I do not think any of those record shops, bars or even the Lorelei exist now. But we are talking 30 years ago I s'pose!

Happy days!!

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
fourthteamtillidie said:
Pirates Deep!
has that gone? noooo way i loved it there. Use to try and sneak in even when 5 years over the max age :blush:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
also in the lanes use to be a real quaint christmas shop, now i think its a cafe or something. That xmas shop was brilllaint to go to as a kid.:down:

ditchy said:
anyone remember the pie shop in st james street now where tin drum is .. always mobbed out
I've remembered it earlier in the thread.

But it was a superb pie shop. I used to share a flat with a mate who was a bit of an entrepreneur. He once did a deal with Sussex University Students Union to do the catering at a gig at Falmer (I think Cream were topping the bill). The Pie Shop supplied him with about 500 meat pies. And they were top quality.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Smart Mart said:
R W Axtell - the glass blowing man. Also in Queens Road.

There was another chap (or maybe the same one) who did that on the Palace Pier. I could watch it for hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here