Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thigs in Brighton that are no longer there/changed names

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
for someone who moved away from brighton in the late 70s, this thread is brilliant, its reminded me of so many things that i had probably forgotton, until seeing them named again..........thanks:clap:

The Lion Brewery and the Watney Mann brewery of the Steine.

And all that nice flint housing that was along North Street.

My dad also recalls a classic church along North Street, I think it is now where Alliance and Leiceter now stands.

It was just about to get Governmnet Protection Listing or an Protection Order, the developer moved in over the weekend and destroyed it.

I believe it became a test case for serving protection notices on buildings.

He also reckoned there was a great Hotel on the sea front (not the Grand) the Norfolk? Used in Brighton Rock that was totally palatial. It was mysteriously destroyed by a fire?

Bit of a common theme in Brighton.

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
my old local has shut down i believe ? it was the Marquess of Exeter up near Port hall road, i was back in brighton last year and i heard it was closing down, anyone know whats happened to it ?

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
The smell from the Sunblest factory in Woodingdean, Gamleys in the Imperial Arcade not long ago, but still gone, I met Darth Vader in there when I was 7. The Orchard Road stand at the Greyhound Stadium

hitony said:
my old local has shut down i believe ? it was the Marquess of Exeter up near Port hall road, i was back in brighton last year and i heard it was closing down, anyone know whats happened to it ?

Used to frequent there a lot when i was 15 / 16 in about 1976/1977.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Watneys Red Barrel. :sick:

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
capone said:
The Cottage (coffee bar) in Middle Street.
The Big Apple.
J. Lyon & Co cafe in North Street
The Curzon and Embassy cinemas in Western Road, and there used to be a cinema in North Street but I've forgotten its name. But it was the first non-smoker.

I worked at the Curzon in western road (called the Classic cinema)

I also worked in the 'Vogue' cinema in Lewes Road.

The Cinema in North Street was called the Brighton Film Theatre, then 'Cinescene'

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Calling said:
The Lion Brewery and the Watney Mann brewery of the Steine.

And all that nice flint housing that was along North Street.

My dad also recalls a classic church along North Street, I think it is now where Alliance and Leiceter now stands.

It was just about to get Governmnet Protection Listing or an Protection Order, the developer moved in over the weekend and destroyed it.

I believe it became a test case for serving protection notices on buildings.

He also reckoned there was a great Hotel on the sea front (not the Grand) the Norfolk? Used in Brighton Rock that was totally palatial. It was mysteriously destroyed by a fire?

Bit of a common theme in Brighton.

The Bedford?

Used to go to disco's in the RANK, b4 I grew up to go to gigs such as the Clash, Slf, Specials, Gary Glitter XMAS specials:lolol:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
502907.jpg

savoy_20th_700wide.jpg

great_globe_edward_street.jpg

public_building_700wide.jpg

brighton_locomotive_works2.JPG

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The stream of smoke filled busses going up Ditchling Road in the mornings to Crowhurst Road.
I used to think half of Brighton worked there :lolol:

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
capone said:
The Cottage (coffee bar) in Middle Street.
The Big Apple.
J. Lyon & Co cafe in North Street
The Curzon and Embassy cinemas in Western Road, and there used to be a cinema in North Street but I've forgotten its name. But it was the first non-smoker.

The Cottage-very good shout:clap: Up that spiral staircase after certain non-medicinal substances had been consumed for 3 hours of Purple Haze and Steppenwolf:smokin:

Big Apple-same as The Cottage except to big name bands instead of a jukebox:p

And what were the names of those 2 clubs on Montpelior just above Western Rd?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Almost forgot 'The Fox' up from the taxi rank opposite Churchill Square (recently an ice rink?)...saw a couple of bands there who weren't quite big enough for Big Apple.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Bwian said:
The Cottage-very good shout:clap: Up that spiral staircase after certain non-medicinal substances had been consumed for 3 hours of Purple Haze and Steppenwolf:smokin:

Big Apple-same as The Cottage except to big name bands instead of a jukebox:p

And what were the names of those 2 clubs on Montpelior just above Western Rd?

i saw mungo jerry in that club in montprlior road, cant remember what its called either :D they stamped your hand witha floresent stamp

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here