Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thierry Henry: Replay Would Be Best

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Cheating **** and obviously know his comments won't make a scrap of difference but I still love the guy TBH. Your thoughts?

Thierry Henry said a World Cup qualifying replay between France and Ireland would be “the fairest solution” to the handball controversy surrounding the match.

Henry handled the ball in the build-up to William Gallas’s decisive goal in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw in Paris, a result that sent France through to the World Cup finals in South Africa next year at Ireland’s expense.

“I am not a cheat and never have been,” the French forward said in a statement issued on his behalf on Friday.

“It was an instinctive reaction to a ball that was coming extremely fast in a crowded penalty area.

“I have never denied that the ball was controlled with my hand. I told the Irish players, the referee and the media this after the game.

“Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa.

“Of course the fairest solution would be to replay the game, but it is not in my control. There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hand leading up to our equalising goal and I feel very sorry for the Irish.”

Earlier on Friday world soccer’s governing body FIFA said it had rejected the Football Association of Ireland’s appeal to replay the match.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So initially he waits until after the game to admit it was handball. Now he waits until after FIFA have refused the appeal for a replay to suggest a replay would be best.

All very convenient Thierry.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So initially he waits until after the game to admit it was handball. Now he waits until after FIFA have refused the appeal for a replay to suggest a replay would be best.

All very convenient Thierry.

You don't think it's convenient to forget about all the moments of cheating in football, like Keane trying to handle against France, or the dodgy sending off the Italians had against the Irish? or the appalling penalty decision without which they probably wouldn't have beaten Georgia?

No this is the only example of cheating since Maradona, you're right

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Think of the amount of DIGITS that would be required in the cheque by fifa in order to replay the match

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Ignoring the rather poor attempts of humour on this thread, he know's it will never get replayed, so he comes out with statements like that. To me, it's just as bad as diving and feigning injury.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
You don't think it's convenient to forget about all the moments of cheating in football, like Keane trying to handle against France, or the dodgy sending off the Italians had against the Irish? or the appalling penalty decision without which they probably wouldn't have beaten Georgia?

No this is the only example of cheating since Maradona, you're right

How are the dodgy sending off or the penalty against Georgia cheating? And Keane hates the Republic of Ireland/FAI more than most Rangers fans do.

I think John Boy's right, time for this to die. I never thought that FIFA would insist on a replay, but part of me hoped that the French FA might agree to one out of embarassment - because it was out and out cheating by one of their players, not a wrong decision in their favour.

Henry should come out, apologise, admit he's wrong. After he handled twice, blatantly deliberately, and then celebrated the goal, he's just making himself look like an idiot, and still not setting a good example for kids.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That was a fairly QUICK attempt to restore his reputation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here