Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These Michael Owen Rumours - Im beginning to think there is something in this!!

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
talking of bollocks, latest gem on the football rumours site is :-

30 May 2011 12:04:49

Brighton to sign Santiago Garcia next week beating Fc Porto for his services for a club record 1.4m plus add ons. Garcia scored 30 goals last season and is now in the Uruguary national team. Will Buckley will also sign, fee not known. MBTS

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about the possibility of a betting scam TB put £1m on Owen signing when the price is 6 -1 signs Owen knowing that he is planning to retire from football at Christmas and does so due to injury TB wins £6m, Owen gets paid wages and plays some games, BHA sell a load of Owen shirts and cop the insurance money when he retires. A bit far fetched I know but an interesting theory.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
You wouldn't get hundreds on with Skybet so no, absolutely no chance whatsoever of a gambling plot.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
What about the possibility of a betting scam TB put £1m on Owen signing when the price is 6 -1 signs Owen knowing that he is planning to retire from football at Christmas and does so due to injury TB wins £6m, Owen gets paid wages and plays some games, BHA sell a load of Owen shirts and cop the insurance money when he retires. A bit far fetched I know but an interesting theory.

Is there not some sort of law against people affiliated with clubs betting on matters associated with them? There certainly is with players.

Also, I'd be extremely surprised if any bookmakers would allow Tony Bloom to bet £1 million on anything. Or even let him in the bookmakers.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

The maximum liability on that market is £200 so the most he would have been allowed on is £33.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In this country I think you'll find it's called "freedom of speech"

you can't punish someone just for posting a rumour which they believe to be true surely? Otherwise nothing would EVER get posted on here!!!

In this country I believe it is called 'terms and conditions' or 'rules' which users agree to when they sign up to this board, removing their right to free speech and restricting what is acceptable to be posted. Free speech is not a right on North Stand Chat (or most messageboards, actually).

Having said that, I don't agree people should be punished for starting a thread just because some people are fed up with the topic being discussed. If you don't like what is being posted, tough. NSC is for discussions about all the things that all different users may want to discuss, not only what one person wants to discuss.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Brighton to sign Santiago Garcia next week beating Fc Porto for his services for a club record 1.4m plus add ons. Garcia scored 30 goals last season and is now in the Uruguary national team. Will Buckley will also sign, fee not known. MBTS

Could well be true. Just the sort of thing that Gus is likely to do - and he is actually over there according to the Argus.

Why does everything have to be "bollocks" if it connects us with good signings? :nono:

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Owen would put 5000 bums on seats except that we have sold out so maybe he will put a few thousand bums on other clubs seats when we play away. At which point Tony says he won't be playing against Donny unless you grease our palms with silver etc. Still don't believe this, Gus is about youth he can nurture!

DanielT

Here's what ManU's Fabio Da Silva had to say in an interview with Brazilian newspaper Globo about Michael Owen, as quoted in yesterday's Daily Mirror:

'OWEN: Really likes horses. He spends all day betting and talking about races'

We let Owen anywhere near the Albion at our peril. IMHO, like. Said it before, say it again, let some other mug chairman finance that sick-note's gambling habit.

No, it's safe now: Fran Sandaza has left

DanielT

Just another thought rattling about in my brain box: if he was 60k a week, times 52 weeks is £3.12 million. OK yes, that's a fair bit of money, but how much do clubs get when they're promoted to the Premier League?

BBC had a report from Deloitte saying the "Championship play-off final will again be worth about £90m to the winner.

The £90m includes more than £40m of higher broadcast income, gate receipts and commercial income next season. The club would also get payments of up to £48m if immediately relegated."

All of a sudden £3.12m doesn't seem a lot

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004

Brighton to sign Santiago Garcia next week beating Fc Porto for his services for a club record 1.4m plus add ons. Garcia scored 30 goals last season and is now in the Uruguary national team. Will Buckley will also sign, fee not known. MBTS[/QUOTe

The latest on that site
heathfield striker aidi van de meer will sign for crystal palace for 200,000. . .van de meer scored 2 goals in 43 games last year both own goals.Brighton reject Glenn Murrary will enjoy playing with this guy
the latest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here