Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
thats a very statist view, that is not what our government is for. responsible for legislation, regulation and governance. there is no western democracy i can think of has state owned and run fuel network or distribution of goods, varying degrees of contingency and emergency powers. the infrastructure, refineries, roads, fuel stations, are in place. what you're asking is government to force more qualified drivers to do fuel runs to keep up with the excessive demand. government doesnt have that sort of power though.

The government provides a lot more than just the legal structure it provides education, social care, healthcare etc it also has a Depart of Transport where it should be looking at whether the countries transport system is adequate. What this thread has pointed out is there has been a developing shortage of HGV drivers over last 10 years which BREXIT and COVID has exposed. The government should be looking at the reasons for this and how they can be addressed , better conditions might help (lorry parks) as might assisting via training grants and or reviewing the laws around it, don't think that is forcing people. Nor have I said that fuel should be nationalised but it needs to be recognised that it is key to our society at the moment. Maybe the government should be doing more in moving to electric cars and we get two benefits for one action.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1444969571191037954[/tweet]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dont know who he is and Im not political at all, but couldnt agree with him more. Buy your food locally. Eat whats in season. The money stays in the community. Farmers get a decent price for their produce. Reduces air miles. You end up only buying what you actually need and not all the other crap as well. Get to know your local shop keepers and it becomes an enjoyable experience rather than just a neccesity. Slow your life down a bit. Dont be a sheep.
I live next door to a CoOp though

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is the crisis worse in London and the South East or are they just saying it is so they can concentrate on getting the outdoor there first( in areas where they have many MPs)?

I can only comment on around here but other than a few queues when this panic started last week, there has been no issue with petrol supply in this area at all. And it's cheaper than down south too. :)

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Is the crisis worse in London and the South East or are they just saying it is so they can concentrate on getting the outdoor there first( in areas where they have many MPs)?

In my corner of Somerset there hasn't really been much of an issue. Last Sat week, about half the stations were closed but the ones that were open were devoid of queues. Since then though all stations seem to be open and operating normally.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm also seeing a slight improvement. What with Covid and now this, hopefully we can start moving forwards again. 2021 has been crap.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm also seeing a slight improvement. What with Covid and now this, hopefully we can start moving forwards again. 2021 has been crap.

We must be getting to those sunlit uplands any time now.

2022, bound to be loads better :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Normality starting to return, managed to fill up at Asda Ferring this morning, virtually no queue and the £30 limit per sale has been lifted, went past the Shell garage at the Bodyshop Roundabout and they had fuel and a queue of about 6 cars.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Came on the bus to Uckfield this morning. Both garages by the old Newmarket pub (one on each side of the road) were open with only one or two cars queueing - and no taillbacks onto the A27 which held up the traffic last week. Looking from the top deck the Lewes Tesco was open, and if there was a queue it didn't reach the roundabout. The BP garage going up Malling Road seemed to be fully open with not even all the pumps occupied. The only closed garage I saw was the Applegreen one by Uckfield station, even the Esso by the McDonalds was open, albeit with a queue of about ten cars.

So, way better than last Monday when I made the same journey. No doubt they're all closed now!

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
We used to have a fantastic farm shop as soon as it got popular and the turnover increased the owners sold out to Sainsbury’s. You can’t stop capitalism. The man has a dreamy image of village life nothing more.

High rents, rates and lack of customers because you can’t park make it impossible for these small shops to survive over the long term. Selling more on a Saturday isn’t going to pay the bills.

Ive owned one for the last 16 years. As much of a lifestyle choice as a capitalist venture.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Oh yes. Women go shopping every day to the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker.
Monday is washing day so eat the leftovers from Sunday.

Women now have jobs of their own, and are not confined to the kitchen so supermarkets are a boon. Once a week shop, all in.

Of course, nip to the farm shop for local produce, there is room for both types of food shopping, but your post and that imbecilic MP, can only be thought up by men.

Not once did I say in my post that it was a womans job so no need for that kind of response. Ive owned a local shop for the last 16 years. Plenty of females shop there regularly as do couples and men on their own. The problem with living down south is that you are all so much in a rush. Hence the fact I prefer living up north. Quality of life. Enjoying even the most menial of tasks. Ive owned it as a lifestyle choice. You dont have to be a sheep. You are entitled to live your life how you see fit but that doesnt mean that your way is correct or incorrect, its just your way. There are other ways and they dont have to be demeaning or unequal to other members of society.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not once did I say in my post that it was a womans job so no need for that kind of response. Ive owned a local shop for the last 16 years. Plenty of females shop there regularly as do couples and men on their own. The problem with living down south is that you are all so much in a rush. Hence the fact I prefer living up north. Quality of life. Enjoying even the most menial of tasks. Ive owned it as a lifestyle choice. You dont have to be a sheep. You are entitled to live your life how you see fit but that doesnt mean that your way is correct or incorrect, its just your way. There are other ways and they dont have to be demeaning or unequal to other members of society.

Your answer is just as patronising. I lived in the north for 33 years, but from the south, so to label southerners as always being in a rush is disingenuous.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Been in South Wales for the last week, no issues at all there. Coming back home through Avon, Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, forecourts closed off everywhere, or just occasionally 2 pumps open with long queues onto surrounding roads. On our 190 miles journey home today we saw 4 Army issue petrol tankers (they could have been delivering, or returning to base to reload) but we did not see ANY branded fuel delivery trucks at all, in 4 hours.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just cycled past the Shell opposite Preston Park, that is completely dry.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Whoever said it was back to normal hasn't tried going round the Redkiln Way roundabout recently, absolute carnage there. Amazed how nobody has smashed into anyone else there.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just been to Tesco and all of the dried pasta had gone. Chinese Whispers again I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here