Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The shortage of fuel at petrol stations started when only a couple of BP petrol stations had a slight delay in their fuel delivery arriving and so had to temporarily close.

The tanker drivers (note, not HGV drivers as tanker drivers need a ADR qualification) that were delivering in the weeks before this to every other retailer were still there delivering their normal supplies each day, and they still continue to be there, making their deliveries for forecourts across the country

So the trigger was... The way that that shortage at a couple of BP stations was jumped upon by the media, the anti-Brexit brigade and so on, making it out as a far bigger shortage than it would ever have been without that hype creating a fear amongst so many that if they didn't keep their tanks filled to the brim, even if it normally didn't need filling for say another fortnight, then demand would have carried on being normal and the petrol stations would still have had plenty of fuel for those in actual need to refill

All the nonsense about the lack of HGV drivers and Brexit being the cause just created the panic and was based on nothing more than scaremongering and promoting their own political agenda

The European HGV drivers who left and were supposedly to blame for the lack of fuel at the pumps left the country months ago, not in the last few hours before the couple of stations had to temporarily close due to a late delivery, which it only affected BP

Yet despite BP's woes, fuel deliveries had carried on as normal for every other fuel retailer.

If no one had panicked, and just carried on fuelling up as normal, then there would have been no crisis.

If the system is balanced so demand for fuel is say 400m ltrs, and tanker drivers can supply up to 500m litres of fuel to forecourts in the same time frame as the 400m litres is used, then there is spare capacity for deliveries and no shortage (except at BP who where the only ones struggling to supply a couple of stations)

Cue the misleading messages of shortages, no drivers, etc and demand sky rockets to say 1500m litres of fuel being used sold by forecourts when normal operations would have seen 400m litres sold.

Now tanker drivers can only deliver 500m litres so this panic buying has led to others running out of fuel and having to close when normal buying patterns would have seen no lack of fuel and no forecourt closures of petrol stations that weren't experiencing supply issues (only BP were)

If people had acted rationally and normally, and continued to buy fuel as before instead of rushing out to get every little bit of fuel they could into their cars, then the system would have coped and fuel supplies would have been more than sufficient because if someone found one of those temporarily closed BP forecourts, there would have been several different alternatives for their fuel needs nearby they could have used instead

This now ends when the buying of fuel by drivers falls to such an extent, mainly due to their having full fuel tanks and not needing to refill, that petrol stations can start to retain a stock rather than selling out almost as fast as they get stock in. The more that can retain stock as it isn't all snapped up, means less panicking as drivers see it will be available when they need it once again and can afford to let it run down which will allow those who absolutely need a lot for their work to refill as they need it rather than being concerned about running out and grabbing some as soon as they see an opportunity, no matter how full they are. That will all just take time and demand to drop below what it is possible to deliver in one day once again.

Where has anyone said it was only a couple of forecourts closed by BP? A couple is commonly deemed to be two. BP announced it was a handful of forecourts but when pressed did not confirm how many was a handful. This problem was caused by BP making that announcement and that this was reported by both BBC and ITV. From my recollection of what I hears on Thursday 23rd Sept was that there was no indication there was a shortage of fuel. That was how the press followed it up the second day.

This problem was caused by the press release by BP and that was caused, it seems, because the company contracted by BP to deliver their fuel were crap employers.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“Ministers say it takes time to train up servicemen and women to drive large tankers carrying highly flammable substances into built-up areas.”

Anyone else feel rather concerned reading this?

Even more so when you think of the calibre of a couple of the ex-servicemen on here :nono::whistle::smile:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where has anyone said it was only a couple of forecourts closed by BP? A couple is commonly deemed to be two. BP announced it was a handful of forecourts but when pressed did not confirm how many was a handful. This problem was caused by BP making that announcement and that this was reported by both BBC and ITV. From my recollection of what I hears on Thursday 23rd Sept was that there was no indication there was a shortage of fuel. That was how the press followed it up the second day.

This problem was caused by the press release by BP and that was caused, it seems, because the company contracted by BP to deliver their fuel were crap employers.

the BBC ran the BP story first as i recall on lunchtime news, an unremarkable PR that no one would hear about, heavily leading on the forecourts being closed because supply problems. i remarked at the time they taking a tabloid approach (sensation first, detail later). next morning the papers ran stories about fuel shortages and rationing. they absolutly loved it. without their biased reporting it would have remained a handful of forecourts with problems and we'd all carried on oblivious.

see for evidence. BP were having minior issue for months.
.... BP reported the same problems with deliveries back in July and it barely warranted a murmur.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57912922

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There are many things the supposed leaders of the country could of done to prevent the past week of petrol station chaos. I’ve witnessed some crazy dangerous traffic situations caused by aggressive queuing, morons blocking roundabouts, queue jumpers causing absolute carnage blocking the traffic in two directions. Add to the mix the anger and punch ups one thing has been noticeable a distinct lack of police presence.

Before someone says they are understaffed they seem to have no problem finding the numbers when they carry out road blocks trying their hardest to make a few quid in fines and get the crime numbers up at the end of the month. One or two coppers directing traffic at the busier filling stations would of stopped much of madness witnessed over the last week.

D

Deleted member 22389

The local Sainsburys has a delivery and just for tonight opening at 11pm until 6am. Ordinary unleaded and diesel.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I managed to get some fuel for my job about half hour ago. This seems to be an ongoing thing now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There are many things the supposed leaders of the country could of done to prevent the past week of petrol station chaos. I’ve witnessed some crazy dangerous traffic situations caused by aggressive queuing, morons blocking roundabouts, queue jumpers causing absolute carnage blocking the traffic in two directions. Add to the mix the anger and punch ups one thing has been noticeable a distinct lack of police presence.

Before someone says they are understaffed they seem to have no problem finding the numbers when they carry out road blocks trying their hardest to make a few quid in fines and get the crime numbers up at the end of the month. One or two coppers directing traffic at the busier filling stations would of stopped much of madness witnessed over the last week.

This has been the most selfish aspect of it. Been caught on the bus behind these idiots twice now. A few of us wanted to get off and speak to them but driver wouldn't open the doors. Yes, about as selfish as you can get. Made me see red.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Dare I say it, a civilised queue atStressco in Shoreham and filled up the work hack and home in 25 minutes. Mrs Zefs car is low and all my scooters are empty, need coffee before I contemplate another trip, by the time I got out the queue was all the way round the roundabout.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Managed to fill up at Burgess Hill Tesco last night. Got really lucky as I arrived at 8 and the queue was only a few cars, 7 or 8 maybe. For some reason they held the queue for about 10 minutes so in that time it grew back to the roundabout and snarled up the road again.

I managed to squeeze about £65 in so with a few extra work from home days that should do me for 3 weeks and hopefully this Shitshow will be over.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
“Ministers say it takes time to train up servicemen and women to drive large tankers carrying highly flammable substances into built-up areas.”

Anyone else feel rather concerned reading this?

I understand they are also now drafting in the armed forces to conduct the extra HGV tests. If only someone could have seen this coming :facepalm:

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006

And if BP had said nothing, you would of carried on as normal, arrived at a BP station that was out of fuel, and happily gone to the next nearest station to fill up.
By putting it in the press, BP and the media misreporting has caused the panic buying which has put every other fuel retailer in the same situation as BP.
A f up by someone at BP, if they kept quiet this thread would not exist.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I understand they are also now drafting in the armed forces to conduct the extra HGV tests. If only someone could have seen this coming :facepalm:
Set up as planned to distract from Starmer's speech last week and have Johnson appear the conquering hero at this week's Tory Conference ? ???

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
And if BP had said nothing, you would of carried on as normal, arrived at a BP station that was out of fuel, and happily gone to the next nearest station to fill up.
By putting it in the press, BP and the media misreporting has caused the panic buying which has put every other fuel retailer in the same situation as BP.
A f up by someone at BP, if they kept quiet this thread would not exist.

But we live in a detail obsessed world now where ordinary people demand to know every little thing that's happening out there

BP putting that info out there was probably just trying to let their (loyal?) customers know why they may have found that the BP forecourt they were trying to visit was out of fuel (and maybe save them a wasted trip?) thinking what they were doing was just good customer service

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here