Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Had a look when I was out at lunch. Local Esso and Shell both dry.

Asda has fuel, but the queue stretches out onto the busy public roundabout, and I wasn't prepared to join the back of it and block the way. (obviously somebody else will have gone ahead and done just that 10 seconds later, but hey...)

We think at work, Shell have their own trucks/drivers, Hoyer ( dispute @ BP ) Hamble which started it, supply BP and Esso . . . all the Esso stations between worthing and Chichester are shut.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So when will this particular issue finish for a bit ?

I have to say that last Thursday night I thought it would be all over by the time the match finished Monday, but here we are over a week later in contradiction of all reports I had seen from the Government, Industry etc. All logic says that it has to come to an end soon doesn't it :shrug:

Or is the reduction in press reporting because the situation is finally getting better and Brighton/Sussex is just a bit of an outlier ?

Based on anecdotal reports, it does seem that London and the extreme south-east still seem to be in the grips of this whilst other parts of the country emerge from it / were never that badly effected in the first place. Tuesday / Wednesday seemed to be as bad as ever it was around here at the top end of Essex and into Cambridgeshire, but by Thursday it had got a whole lot better with forecourts open and minimal / no queuing as confidence returned.

The only solace I can offer is that when it improves it seems to happen very quickly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So when will this particular issue finish for a bit ?

I have to say that last Thursday night I thought it would be all over by the time the match finished Monday, but here we are over a week later in contradiction of all reports I had seen from the Government, Industry etc. All logic says that it has to come to an end soon doesn't it :shrug:

Or is the reduction in press reporting because the situation is finally getting better and Brighton/Sussex is just a bit of an outlier ?
I thought it would be all over too...last night I went past a couple of stations with fuel and virtually no queues but had half a tank so I kept going. It looked to me that the crisis was easing but no, its still here, possibly worse! Been past 11 petrol stations today due to commitments in Portslade and Rustington and just TWO had fuel.

This means that the two with fuel won't have for long and that we are nowhere near the situation " stabilising " as Johnson and his inept ministers seem to think. The cause of this crisis was a few BP stations missing one type or other of fuel because there were not enough drivers...so, there was no spare capacity in the system at the start!

Now we are pretty much at rock bottom and I'm sure Tanker drivers have maxxed their hours to the very limit for the last week and we are still in the mire. I really can't see this being solved by using the 150 service personnel who can drive tankers. There needs to be a government plan to reduce petrol sales so that stocks can be brought back to normal.. But, the government is made in the image of Johnson and will be unable to come up with a coherent plan for anything! Doomed!

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Fuel this lunchtime ..allegedly

And there clearly was when we came back from the New Forest around Midday (2 day Birthday treat at Montagu Arms, Beaulieu) as there was a massive queue into the village. Luckily we know the local roads and got home probably 30 minutes before we would have done sitting in the queue.

We filled up Mrs Jakartas SLK in Romsey, no trouble at all although they were rationing Diesel. Seeing as you currently have a ballaching 20 miles or so of 50 MPH with radar monitoring on the M27 it actually had 100 more miles range on the clock than when we left the filling station! :lolol:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Our two jerry cans were delivered from Halfords this morning so Mrs Crodo been out to fll them up and took my montego estate which has been sitting nearly idle for 18 months and filled that up too. She reported small queues still some disruption, a few idiots still panic buying, but much better than the beginning of the week.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And there clearly was when we came back from the New Forest around Midday (2 day Birthday treat at Montagu Arms, Beaulieu) as there was a massive queue into the village. Luckily we know the local roads and got home probably 30 minutes before we would have done sitting in the queue.

We filled up Mrs Jakartas SLK in Romsey, no trouble at all although they were rationing Diesel. Seeing as you currently have a ballaching 20 miles or so of 50 MPH with radar monitoring on the M27 it actually had 100 more miles range on the clock than when we left the filling station! :lolol:

You say 'currently'...

That's 'currently', as in THREE ****ING YEARS AND COUNTING.

****ing absolute pricks.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Our two jerry cans were delivered from Halfords this morning so Mrs Crodo been out to fll them up and took my montego estate which has been sitting nearly idle for 18 months and filled that up too. She reported small queues still some disruption, a few idiots still panic buying, but much better than the beginning of the week.

Odd that you would find this amusing when many are really struggling

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m about to set off towards the petrol wilderness that is the South East of England. TBF Crodo’s tales give me a little chuckle in a gallows humour type of way.

I'm most surprised the Montego tank actually holds petrol!

which reminds me, I once drove to London in a clapped out MK1 Cortina to see Ian Dury & the Blockheads, fuel tank split and pissed it all on the floor . . . bought a whole mk2 cortina for £30 just for the tank, a month later that split . . . . . until the car died thereafter I kept a 5 gallon fuel can strapped in the boot from a boat! It had a cork float level gauge!

Last edited:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Its very noticeable that on the BBC News web page and mobile news page, there is no mention of the fuel issue at all. Now given yesterday it was almost all that was on there, this would (IMO)seem to be a deliberate ploy to play down the issue to stop people from constantly refuelling every time they see a station that has fuel,

If so, surely thats a tacit acknowledgement that they were a great part of the problem in the first place by the highlighting a minor issue last week which set off the whole merry-go-round, because if they didnt think reporting it every second was prolonging the issue, why stop it now? And if reporting it now is pro loning it, highlighting it in the first place certainly made it a thousand times worse

Or it's just not new anymore? The BBC get blamed for everything. They just reported what was happening. Surely it was the general public that caused the panic buying on social media? I saw it on there long before it was mentioned on the BBC. My worry is I don't see an end to this and it doesn't matter if the BBC never mention it again. People will continue to panic buy if they see No Fuel signs and No Fuel signs will continue if people panic buy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Queue wasn’t too bad about 2.45…..by the time I had picked up my grandson from school it was a tad longer

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I often swerve much of nsc’s party politics trench warfare.

But my two-penneth worth here, is that the secretary of state who’s remit includes fuel supply, Kwasi Kwarteng, should be sacked. He’s clearly not fit for purpose.

This all started 8 days ago when the British Freight Association very deliberately made a politically motivated leak of information. The media seized on that and the public overreacted ….. as they and we do.

Kwarteng should’ve acted immediately by making every effort by intervening in getting fuel from the refineries/depots to pumps. By all accounts there are drivers who already have the right qualifications, but a closed shop keeps them out.

Churchill in the war years when delegating had this wonderful expression “Action This Day”.

Fast forward to 2021 and we have Komatose Kwarteng.

This will have a bit of an impact on Q3 and Q4 economic activity. The roads are half empty, people are refraining from doing stuff, those with driving jobs can’t get around, anecdotally expect a smaller real attendance at the Amex tomorrow.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
EarlIer this evening Tesco Holmbush- petrol station was shut, also the Texaco on OSR shut. Not sure about Sainos.

Has at least chilled things out- no queues blocking the road! Wonder how much longer before it’s back to normal- end of the next week?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

This will have a bit of an impact on Q3 and Q4 economic activity. The roads are half empty, people are refraining from doing stuff, those with driving jobs can’t get around, anecdotally expect a smaller real attendance at the Amex tomorrow.

I'm a tiny cog in a massive wheel, but If I and others cant get to work there won't be any fuel to deliver.

Given the roads are so quiet I have assumed a lot of people are WFH, I bet they've all got full tanks and jerry cans in the shed.

I need some fuel this weekend, we have 2 empty cars and an empty scooter, have pumped 2 classic cars dry and all the other scooters hoping this would blow over . . . . hopefully I can. fill at least one car and a jeery can for the scooter . . . I fully expect to get a mouthful for doing that. I'm preparing my speech as I type :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I often swerve much of nsc’s party politics trench warfare.

But my two-penneth worth here, is that the secretary of state who’s remit includes fuel supply, Kwasi Kwarteng, should be sacked. He’s clearly not fit for purpose.

This all started 8 days ago when the British Freight Association very deliberately made a politically motivated leak of information. The media seized on that and the public overreacted ….. as they and we do.

Kwarteng should’ve acted immediately by making every effort by intervening in getting fuel from the refineries/depots to pumps. By all accounts there are drivers who already have the right qualifications, but a closed shop keeps them out.

Churchill in the war years when delegating had this wonderful expression “Action This Day”.

Here's my post from well over two years ago

Kwasi Kwarteng was, this morning, appointed Minister of State at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. He will also attend Cabinet.

He would have been appointed yesterday, but didn't realise that amongst his responsibilities as a minister in DExEU was keeping his phone turned on so that people could contact him when needed.

Just about sums up the level of Brexiteer that Johnson is now having to appoint to make up the numbers for his Cabinet :facepalm:

View attachment 113395

You can't say you weren't warned :wink:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Still ****ed in North Kent.

The trigger was what? Shortage of (foreign) drivers? And we are letting them back in (till the end of the year)?

The shortage of fuel at petrol stations started when only a couple of BP petrol stations had a slight delay in their fuel delivery arriving and so had to temporarily close.

The tanker drivers (note, not HGV drivers as tanker drivers need a ADR qualification) that were delivering in the weeks before this to every other retailer were still there delivering their normal supplies each day, and they still continue to be there, making their deliveries for forecourts across the country

So the trigger was... The way that that shortage at a couple of BP stations was jumped upon by the media, the anti-Brexit brigade and so on, making it out as a far bigger shortage than it would ever have been without that hype creating a fear amongst so many that if they didn't keep their tanks filled to the brim, even if it normally didn't need filling for say another fortnight, then demand would have carried on being normal and the petrol stations would still have had plenty of fuel for those in actual need to refill

All the nonsense about the lack of HGV drivers and Brexit being the cause just created the panic and was based on nothing more than scaremongering and promoting their own political agenda

The European HGV drivers who left and were supposedly to blame for the lack of fuel at the pumps left the country months ago, not in the last few hours before the couple of stations had to temporarily close due to a late delivery, which it only affected BP

Yet despite BP's woes, fuel deliveries had carried on as normal for every other fuel retailer.

If no one had panicked, and just carried on fuelling up as normal, then there would have been no crisis.

If the system is balanced so demand for fuel is say 400m ltrs, and tanker drivers can supply up to 500m litres of fuel to forecourts in the same time frame as the 400m litres is used, then there is spare capacity for deliveries and no shortage (except at BP who where the only ones struggling to supply a couple of stations)

Cue the misleading messages of shortages, no drivers, etc and demand sky rockets to say 1500m litres of fuel being used sold by forecourts when normal operations would have seen 400m litres sold.

Now tanker drivers can only deliver 500m litres so this panic buying has led to others running out of fuel and having to close when normal buying patterns would have seen no lack of fuel and no forecourt closures of petrol stations that weren't experiencing supply issues (only BP were)

If people had acted rationally and normally, and continued to buy fuel as before instead of rushing out to get every little bit of fuel they could into their cars, then the system would have coped and fuel supplies would have been more than sufficient because if someone found one of those temporarily closed BP forecourts, there would have been several different alternatives for their fuel needs nearby they could have used instead

This now ends when the buying of fuel by drivers falls to such an extent, mainly due to their having full fuel tanks and not needing to refill, that petrol stations can start to retain a stock rather than selling out almost as fast as they get stock in. The more that can retain stock as it isn't all snapped up, means less panicking as drivers see it will be available when they need it once again and can afford to let it run down which will allow those who absolutely need a lot for their work to refill as they need it rather than being concerned about running out and grabbing some as soon as they see an opportunity, no matter how full they are. That will all just take time and demand to drop below what it is possible to deliver in one day once again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm a tiny cog in a massive wheel, but If I and others cant get to work there won't be any fuel to deliver.

Given the roads are so quiet I have assumed a lot of people are WFH, I bet they've all got full tanks and jerry cans in the shed.

I need some fuel this weekend, we have 2 empty cars and an empty scooter, have pumped 2 classic cars dry and all the other scooters hoping this would blow over . . . . hopefully I can. fill at least one car and a jeery can for the scooter . . . I fully expect to get a mouthful for doing that. I'm preparing my speech as I type :lolol:

I’ve got just enough to collect my 84 year old Dad from hospital on Sunday after an op and possibly a groceries shop on the way home.

Then I daren’t drive around looking for fuel and joining a queue. Loads of folk (in petrol motors) called LBC and R5 today where they’d done just that, only to find out after hours sitting there that garages only ever had diesel after all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here's my post from well over two years ago

You can't say you weren't warned :wink:

Genuine :bowdown:.

Unscientifically, I’d say he was shit.

Apparently amazing arrogant/nonchalant in media interviews in the last 36 hours. No feel for what is really happening in SE England this very day. I’ll expand further borrowing a phrase from a former always angry colleague ….. A Prize One Cock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here