Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just saw a tanker pulling into West Hove Sainsbury’s about 15 minutes ago.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I only know the garages actually on the A26 in Crowborough but "hit and miss" would be an optimistic assessment. Sometimes the one down the hill from Crowborough Cross has been open with a "challenging" queue.

I think the Morrisons one has been open once that I've noticed and I've been going past roughly every other day both ways.

On Saturday night I went past 12 garages going from TWells to Littlehampton. All forecourts shut. That evening was a particular low point, it is is now marginally better with the occasional garage open.

Don't worry about queues blocking you there.

Thanks, had some stupid delays this week due to the long queues and cars not being able to get passed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But it does actually say a lot about our society and culture that the car is considered an absolute necessity and a right to have one. How do you tax, service, MOT and generally maintain a car if you can't afford to put £10 of fuel in it? If you can't put £10 in it, what do you do if it needs new tyres, needs a new bulb etc.? It's surely time to think about alternatives. In fact we all need to think about alternatives to using our cars so often. The desperation this crisis is causing just shows why we're so terrified of progressing on from a reliance on the motor vehicle. Why making city centres traffic free, or introducing cycle lanes is met with such resistance. It really does highlight the car obsession we have in the UK.

we value convenience, leisure time and independance highly, the car gives us these.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Panic is over

I've just seen Kwasi on the news saying that the Government are 'thinking' about using the army for the emergency, seven days after the emergency actually started :facepalm:

As Michael Heseltine said “Well, I think that you have to see Boris as a career map. He works it out, he decides which way the wind is blowing, and that wonderful phrase about a politician - a man who waits to see the way the crowd is running and then dashes in front and says, ‘Follow me’.”

We're all running to the f***ing petrol stations, Johnson. Come on catch up :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
we value convenience, leisure time and independance highly, the car gives us these.

I value those things but don't feel the need to have a car. I very occasionally hire one, perhaps once every year or two.

The world would be a much more pleasant place if people could cut back on their car use.

Yes, some of you need it for work etc blah blah blah. I'm not advocating an outright ban (other than in city centres, where they should be heavily restricted). Just less journeys and more considered usage.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The issue seems to be the practicality of enforcing a minimum spend - which is a fair argument.
Pretty sure all cars can hold 50 pounds worth of petrol though.

As for those down to their last tenner - again fair enough.

A min spend would fix the problem though if it could be implemented. A max spend does nothing to help.

Heard a forecourt cashier saying she had taken a £0.90 sale yesterday - WTF is wrong with these people? (Not forecourt cashiers :) )

I'm still holding out, but will need some on Saturday..... fingers crossed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC2 Newsnight yesterday gave a worst case scenario on the maths of this supply crisis. They made a silly assumption that all 39m vehicles in the UK had an empty tank last Thursday and calculated when all 39m vehicles will have a full tank.

The answer, by this Friday or Saturday.

I wonder of this story will be chip paper by this time next week?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Heard a forecourt cashier saying she had taken a £0.90 sale yesterday - WTF is wrong with these people? (Not forecourt cashiers :) )

I'm still holding out, but will need some on Saturday..... fingers crossed
Most garages have either had a £2 or £5 minimum fuel purchase ( indicated on the pump) for a while. I don't know the protocol if you go in and try and buy less.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Most garages have either had a £2 or £5 minimum fuel purchase ( indicated on the pump) for a while. I don't know the protocol if you go in and try and buy less.

The minimum delivery sign is 2ltrs and is a requirement for weights and measure reasons. if you draw below this amount you still can only charge the amount on the pump.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hayling Island yesterday had some, which was fortuitous, only allowing £30 per car. That meant I had enough to complete my calls in Portsmouth, then on the way home a short line of cars waiting to get in the garage on A27 Lewes (east bound) i now have a full tank. The garage west bound also had fuel.

I have done about 800 miles in 8 days so need to keep topped up. Last week was a tad concerning, down to my last 20 miles 150 away from home before I had to join a huge que.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
[
for some people the page has been a lifesaver... be as cynical as you like

QUOTE=GT49er;10021790]So that's telling everybody where to go - and inevitably join the queue of other FB users who've got there quicker than they have, all hoping to top up their tanks whether they need to or not.

Oh lor' - however can we truly appreciate the services that FB does for us?[/QUOTE]

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
But it does actually say a lot about our society and culture that the car is considered an absolute necessity and a right to have one. How do you tax, service, MOT and generally maintain a car if you can't afford to put £10 of fuel in it? If you can't put £10 in it, what do you do if it needs new tyres, needs a new bulb etc.? It's surely time to think about alternatives. In fact we all need to think about alternatives to using our cars so often. The desperation this crisis is causing just shows why we're so terrified of progressing on from a reliance on the motor vehicle. Why making city centres traffic free, or introducing cycle lanes is met with such resistance. It really does highlight the car obsession we have in the UK.

I would not call it a car obsession more like our public transport is shite.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tesco Holmbush has juice, I didn't get any but had to manoeuvre my way through the HUGE tailbacks across the roundabout.... this isn't going away despite the governments denials and "look over there " shtick...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would not call it a car obsession more like our public transport is shite.

We have a society geared around private car ownership. Try doing a big Tesco shop for a family of 4 without a car, it’s a nightmare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here