Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Had to wait ages earlier behind a white van man who was getting his female partner to fill up loads of petrol cans. Bit selfish and ridiculous

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My brother and sister in law are supposed to be coming to see us in North Wales for a week tomorrow and now don’t know if they can come because of the ****wits panic buying all the diesel.

Twats.

Was I?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Unenforceable. Will a garage be willing to refuse payment from a £20 purchaser, or to blacklist them for ever, or to syphon out the petrol? Or to check the fuel gauge before letting someone fill up?

it isn't really possible to "panic buy" fuel to a significant degree, unless you are going to have illegal amounts of fuel stored at home. You can only have one tankful in the car. It's not like toilet rolls when you can buy 6 months' supply for storage. In normal times the average petrol tank will be about 60% full. In "panic buying" times it can't really go above 90% full. If every private car owner suddenly decides to "panic buy" and fill up, that only makes about 3 days' total supply taken out of the system.

Business with their own tanks could make a difference as well, but I couldn't quantify that.

i asked at the station how long a tnker would last, said 5-6 days, last tanker lasted 9 hrs. sounds like panic buying to me.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Wife and I saw 5 cars queuing i.e. all 6 pumps already occupied, at a rural station nearby at 10.30pm - that rarely gets 1 customer after 8pm! Nuts, people are genuinely nuts as well as selfish. People who panic buy are the lowest of the low. Shame on you if you’re responsible (excluding those basically being forced to as a result of the initial idiots). I haven’t enough contempt for such types, after last years shenanigans too where people too busy saving lives faced a shitestorm because they couldn’t react quickly enough out of a sense of public duty first. These are the people I feel sorry for, not Johnny Middle Class whose 3 SUV gas guzzlers each take 100litres and have each been “topped up” tonight so Tarquin can be ferried from London for his flute exam in Bath this weekend.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Pssst.

9FD4E83C-6543-4165-A030-57FD614492F9.jpeg

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Well maybe this will mean that a lot more freight will end up on the railways, which will help everyone. Only a need for local HGV drivers then who will be able to manage their hours better, the roads will be less clogged up with lorries and better for the environment I would have thought.

Most lorries pollute less than petrol/diesels vehicles

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Unenforceable. Will a garage be willing to refuse payment from a £20 purchaser, or to blacklist them for ever, or to syphon out the petrol? Or to check the fuel gauge before letting someone fill up?

It isn't really possible to "panic buy" fuel to a significant degree, unless you are going to have illegal amounts of fuel stored at home. You can only have one tankful in the car. It's not like toilet rolls when you can buy 6 months' supply for storage. In normal times the average petrol tank will be about 60% full. In "panic buying" times it can't really go above 90% full. If every private car owner suddenly decides to "panic buy" and fill up, that only makes about 3 days' total supply taken out of the system.

Business with their own tanks could make a difference as well, but I couldn't quantify that.

Most businesses now do not have fuel tanks on their own site now, underground storage ranks other than petrol forecourt are illegal now I believe, due to not knowing if there is a spillage or leek.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
i asked at the station how long a tnker would last, said 5-6 days, last tanker lasted 9 hrs. sounds like panic buying to me.
It's not "panic buying" if you have just opened your last toilet roll and you go out to the shop and buy another pack of 4. No, not even if you would normally wait till that last roll was almost done.

I went out to buy petrol this evening on my way to the fish and chip shop,.rather than wait until tomorrow on my way to Ripon races, simply because I wasn't sure whether I would get any or how long it would take tomorrow. Is that panic buying, when you buy your normal quantity but a day earlier than you would have done? I don't think so. Panic buying is buying stuff that you don't need and wouldn't normally buy. Filling a fuel tank isn't panic buying.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Had to wait ages earlier behind a white van man who was getting his female partner to fill up loads of petrol cans. Bit selfish and ridiculous
You should have filmed them, and reported both driver and garage to the police. You're only allowed to store about 6 gallons unless you get a licence, and the garage (so far as I know) isn't allowed to sell you that much in cans unless you have that licence.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not "panic buying" if you have just opened your last toilet roll and you go out to the shop and buy another pack of 4. No, not even if you would normally wait till that last roll was almost done.

I went out to buy petrol this evening on my way to the fish and chip shop,.rather than wait until tomorrow on my way to Ripon races, simply because I wasn't sure whether I would get any or how long it would take tomorrow. Is that panic buying, when you buy your normal quantity but a day earlier than you would have done? I don't think so. Panic buying is buying stuff that you don't need and wouldn't normally buy. Filling a fuel tank isn't panic buying.

yet there are queues at stations, which will have dispensed a weeks worth of fuel by morning. dont know what else you call that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My brother and sister in law are supposed to be coming to see us in North Wales for a week tomorrow and now don’t know if they can come because of the ****wits panic buying all the diesel.

Twats.

So it's ok for them to fill up to go on a jolly to north wales but people filling up to enable them to carry on working and the like is selfish! :facepalm:

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
If the reports of people filling up Jerry cans at petrol stations are correct then this needs to be stopped by the station staff/owners.

having worked all day, and the majority of customers where polite, if you tried this you would get the abuse from hell, provided the container is legal, you can not stop it without causing yourself problems. You can ask customers to only fill in their car but you can not stop them without the fear of abuse and violence.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fuel supply failures. Food shortages. In the UK. in 2021. This is how incompetent Boris Johnson's government is. They cannot even keep the ****ing country supplied with fuel and food. Think about that. Fuel and FOOD. What will it take for people to realise what a mob of incompetent con-men they are.

Johnson poised to U-Turn on his unworkable foreign worker Visas rules. What a total shower of shite. This sovereignty thing is going very well, very well indeed. :lolol:

Last edited:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Just back from Gatwick ,BP and Shell shut . Pease Pottage open but wait for it £1.58 a litre for diesel … rip of Britain at its best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
[/U][/B]

Most businesses now do not have fuel tanks on their own site now, underground storage ranks other than petrol forecourt are illegal now I believe, due to not knowing if there is a spillage or leek.

And nobody likes a leek ......

Leek.jpg

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Been to do my now traditional 6am supermarket shop. Drove past Morrison's, no fuel, BP has fuel, but about 50 cars queuing - at 6am on a Saturday morning!

Asda, no fuel...

Asda shop itself was the busiest I have seen it, normally I might see one or maybe two other customers, but today the self service tills were all in use and occupied by 40 something men, who had clearly come out to get petrol and went shopping as a cover story for not being a panic buyer.

You really couldn't make it up, unbelievable.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Perhaps I'm being thick but won't this all be diluted by Monday or so. A panic buy for fuel (for most) is simply filling up earlier than you would normally. Not over-purchasing.

So once all those panicking have filled up, won't it level out and return to a cyclical routine of people filling up?

It may still be people filling up earlier than normal but the volumes consumed would be lower (as they aren't filling from empty) and the amount of people filling at once should be spread out.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
What is the situation out there now around the Lancing/Shoreham area. I went passed Tesco Shoreham yesterday and it was closed. I need petrol and I have only 1/4 tank left which will last until Monday night at best. Any information would be helpful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it this is already here, but still deserves a repeat, without comment.

[tweet]1441534603592753160[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here