Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Sky Sports News are reporting that Leeds Utd are about to sign Luke Ayling from Bristol City. I know he turned us down for City, but might we not have gone in for him again? Unless we're happy now to wait for Goldson and Huhnemeier to be fit again. Leeds can't surely be able to outdo us on wages now, can they?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Sky Sports News are reporting that Leeds Utd are about to sign Luke Ayling from Bristol City. I know he turned us down for City, but might we not have gone in for him again? Unless we're happy now to wait for Goldson and Huhnemeier to be fit again. Leeds can't surely be able to outdo us on wages now, can they?

He has a fantastic wiki photo.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Even decent/vaguely interesting rumours have dried up :shrug:

It's clear the CB situation hasn't gone according to plan, perhaps they didn't think Blackburn would hold out for well over our valuation of Duffy.

It's also clear that we wanted to get two deals done before the fan forum, for a midfield player and no.10. Again, one of those didn't go as we'd planned and from the very few ITK contacts I have, both have suggested all involved are still seething over what happened.

What concerns me is how good our backup plan/targets are and whether we're going to have to wait until the end of the window to get them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's clear the CB situation hasn't gone according to plan, perhaps they didn't think Blackburn would hold out for well over our valuation of Duffy.

It's also clear that we wanted to get two deals done before the fan forum, for a midfield player and no.10. Again, one of those didn't go as we'd planned and from the very few ITK contacts I have, both have suggested all involved are still seething over what happened.

What concerns me is how good our backup plan/targets are and whether we're going to have to wait until the end of the window to get them.

Agree with all of that. Indeed I wonder if we have decided not to pursue Duffy and don't have a back-up. Waiting for Goldson and the Hun to be fit is risky but may be preferred to paying over the odds for cover.
If we can get Towell fit I'm tempted to think we are now covered in midfield so it's that pacy striker/No 10 that we lack. I'm not convinced that Murray/Hemed is a pairing to match the pace we possess out wide. Short term I wouldn't mind seeing Murphy playing in there - he has Baldock's ability to move defenders around and a better eye for goal although not his work rate. It's hard to see much happening before deadline day and that leads to another Dobbie or another Elvis more often than not

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we give up on getting a center back, we should really get a fullback instead, as 6 first team defenders is just not enough for a 46 game season.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
If we don't sign a centre back we should go after a left back. Rosenior can play anywhere across the back four competently (would be fine for a 4th choice CB imo). Bruno, on the other hand, may have some cracking games at CB but to me feels like he has one big error around the corner which could cost us points.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If we don't sign a centre back we should go after a left back. Rosenior can play anywhere across the back four competently (would be fine for a 4th choice CB imo). Bruno, on the other hand, may have some cracking games at CB but to me feels like he has one big error around the corner which could cost us points.

Bruno v Assombalonga tonight you mean? :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

A sending off for Bruno would make life interesting . The club has adopted a rather cavalier attitude by not bothering with a replacement CB. We have had plenty of time to sort something out.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Yes, Bruno may have one big error around the corner, but lets be honest our established valuable defender Dunk is also prone to the odd gaff!

As for left back, I think the unspell-able (because I'm too lazy to look it up!) Canadian left back we have on loan would fit into that position comfortably if called upon.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Liam Moore? This is the sort of player in whom we could be interested.

Sky sources: Leicester defender Liam Moore is contemplating handing in a transfer request as his frustration grows at not being allowed to leave the Premier League champions.

The 23-year-old has not been given a squad number or even a first team locker in the dressing room ahead of the 2016/17 season. He has 12 months left on his current contract and has turned down the offer of a new deal.

Championship club Reading have made at least one offer for Moore, who is keen to work with Jaap Stam at the Madejski Stadium.

(Liam Simon Moore is an English professional footballer who plays for Leicester City as a centre back and right back. )

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Liam Moore? This is the sort of player in whom we could be interested.

Sky sources: Leicester defender Liam Moore is contemplating handing in a transfer request as his frustration grows at not being allowed to leave the Premier League champions.

The 23-year-old has not been given a squad number or even a first team locker in the dressing room ahead of the 2016/17 season. He has 12 months left on his current contract and has turned down the offer of a new deal.

Championship club Reading have made at least one offer for Moore, who is keen to work with Jaap Stam at the Madejski Stadium.

(Liam Simon Moore is an English professional footballer who plays for Leicester City as a centre back and right back. )

I saw this. Would be perfect. Quite experienced for his age, plays in 2 positions and being young and English could definitely turn a profit if we ever needed/wanted to sell.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Yes, Bruno may have one big error around the corner, but lets be honest our established valuable defender Dunk is also prone to the odd gaff!

As for left back, I think the unspell-able (because I'm too lazy to look it up!) Canadian left back we have on loan would fit into that position comfortably if called upon.

Yep we do have options in the U23s.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

He looked very promising in the cup game and got better as the game progressed so with LR would provide adequate cover for Bong, who I still rate as No 1.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
FFS... just where is our experienced CB signing? I just don't rate Bruno's chances versus Assombalonga TBH... a big risk IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If I was in the coaching staff, I would task one of the midfielders to do a 'job' on Assombalonga early on, just enough to put him off his game!
King Kayal booking.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Singing today, and interview pitchside at the Amex 5th birthday party ? ??? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here