Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The X Factor RIP......

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You know you don't have to watch it right?

Spot on, I choose not to.

I did catch a small amount of the show Sky did, along similar lines...the big difference was that the acts performed their own material and some of them had at least a bit of talent...the lass who won it was brilliant!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I wish this f***ing program would just end as I cannot get near the TV at present grrrr

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I disagree the music industry in this country is "flat lining". It's just not. There is a place for X Factor contestants, Diana Vickers' album was very good and Leona Lewis has done very well in America. I never liked Alexandra, but she's done alright aswell.

You get the usual "crowd pleasers" at this stage of the competition, once the obviously atrocious "singers" are gone, it'll become a better competition. So, let's not joke vote for Wagner and Diva Fever...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I disagree the music industry in this country is "flat lining". It's just not. There is a place for X Factor contestants, Diana Vickers' album was very good and Leona Lewis has done very well in America. I never liked Alexandra, but she's done alright aswell.

You get the usual "crowd pleasers" at this stage of the competition, once the obviously atrocious "singers" are gone, it'll become a better competition. So, let's not joke vote for Wagner and Diva Fever...

I'd say the music industry in this country is in very rude health. There are so many great singers out there, it's embarrassing the amount of column inches dedicated to these tv karaoke acts.

Here's 2 just for starters:

Londoner, Roxanne Tataei has a new album - she's got a new album out and it's very radio-friendly. This is indicative of her stuff

[yt]yjyN8DKVITo[/yt]

And the very gorgeous Bridgitte Amofah. If you can, then see her live. She is stunning.

[yt]JWCRimeBYNE[/yt]

Excuse the pun but stop taking these reality shows so literally. It's all fluff and nonsense. The only real shame is the way those wannabe stars are thrown aside so ruthlessly.

Oh, and when you get classic songs absolutely mangled by these singers because the people who choose and arrange these covers really don't understand what the song is about. Case in point is the very very flat rendition of 'Hallelujah' by some X Factor female singer. Dunno what her name is.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've always been quite critical of the X Factor for not producing as much real talent as they think. As I said, out of the 16 finalists this year, 2 will be lucky to get a recording contract, and/or have some genuine success outside of the show. It's very rare that a genuine artist comes out of these things.

But it doesn't mean the Music Industry in this country is struggling.

You provided a couple of good examples there, let me counter with a chap I really like, called Frankmusik. I first saw him when he opened for Keane at the Brighton Centre and have seen him live in Brighton 3 times now, he's absolutely fantastic.
[YT]FoPSqvt-gi0[/YT]

Oh, and we agree about the Hallelujah version sung either last year or the year before. Turgid rubbish. The best version of that song, in my humble opinion, is by Jeff Buckley.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yep. He's good. Not my cup of tea but still very good.

Sorry, but I think you miss my point. There's no point getting angry at X Factor. The point of the shows isn't to unearth talent, it's to provide soap opera. I don't think manufactured pop is much different from way back when bands like the Monkees were manufactured. Some acts are good, some are woeful, some are just fun and some become really good. Real music is doing well, and thankfully because the Charts are now irrelevant, real music is actually doing very well.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There are plenty of genuinely talented musicians out there, you just have to know where to find them. Saturday night TV isn't the place, but you're guaranteed to find atleast 1 person there with actual talent.

I think we've got some wires crossed somewhere, mr Buzzer. I'm not getting angry at the X Factor, it's great entertainment and the pantomime is why it's so successful. I don't think it produces much talent, but occaisonally it does. My original point was that the music industry in this country isn't "flat lining", as was the term used, because there are some genuinely talented people out there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, you're being a tad harsh there Wozza. It's by no means the best song on the album, but it's not that bad. Allow me to counter with my favourite from the album;

[YT]TuoNFjvB2Lo[/YT]

She sounds fantastic on this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here