Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst gigs of your life

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quo Vardis, supporting Slade at the Centre. They were cack and then the lighting rig failed for Slade and they did the gig with the main hall lights on!!!
Blimey, I was at that gig as well. About 1982, there was only a tiny crowd as well. They were pretty poor that night, but I don't want to slag them off too much as I knew them vaguely (the band I was in at the time had the same management company) and I was there as their guest. They were a good bunch of guys.

Thought Slade did a good set considering the shit circumstances, they could have easily have just gone through the motions.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
NorthSide @ Rock City circa 1989, they simply had no musical talent whatsoever and were just riding the Madchester bandwagon.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
My old band got offered a gig in Eastbourne with a band called 'ARK' who were basically the fall without Mark E Smith (Mark with out the M...get it?). I accepted being a big fall fan, onky to discover they were the most talentless bunch of coke heads I''ve ever had the misfortune to witness...I left after 2 songs! Hands down the worse band I've ever seen!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
New Order, Kingswest, 1981 - arrogant, pretentious tosh. They walked off early due to crowd hostility.
Funnily enough a few months earlier they played the Art College Basement, probably their 2nd or 3rd show ever, and were amazing, probably my fave gig of all time, was anybody else there ?

Was at the Kingswest gig, but not the Basement.

I thought they were OK, but they were lacking any real sense of direction. Even though they'd dropped almost all JD songs except Ceremony, they were still playing like "Joy Division without Ian" (and without most of the good songs), and hadn't yet rediscovered themselves and evolved into the New Order we would later know. That didn't start happening until later in 1981 when Everything's Gone Green came out...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Garfield and The Gang, a children's musical extravaganza based on the much loved comic strip. Fairfield Halls Croydon, 1989.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Prince supporting the Stones may not count as Th RS were great. But the twat in his underwear in a glittery cape was embarrassing.
Opeth. suck.
Wire at their best lp era, 154, in Camden. Just pathetic.
Feelgoods, to be fair were exhausted at Hammersmith, but we travelled up to witness 3 songs and an exit. Too many great gigs by them to hold it against them though

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have seen The Fall play on many many ocassions and they are my favourite band of all time. Watching them live is always a risk. You never really know if they will, as has happened in the past, even turn up! I can recount several times where M.E Smith has been drunk and the whole event turn into an embarrassing charade. A few years back this happened at The Concorde 2. Smith came on stage late, left after a few songs, returned and sang one more, dragged the band off, returned with the band, left entirely with the band playing the rest of the songs with I think the bass player doing vocals. For one song an audience member sang! The next time I saw them at The Pavilion they were prefect and played a great set. But that's the Fall for you. As John Peel famously said of them 'Always different, always the same'

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sounds like I witnessed the same tour, clue was Samson as the support band. This was at Bingley Hall, Stafford which for those of you lucky enough to have been there was (it doesn't exist anymore - thank f***) a corrugated iron shed with a concrete floor. Graham Bonnet started by turning his back to the crowd in a bodybuilder-type pose wearing a pink jacket. Coped by going to the separate bar, getting slaughtered and passing out. Upside is that any gig I've been to since or likely to go to in the future will never be that bad.

Actually The NEW Bingley Hall, Stafford.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
In 2005 I spent £100 on 2 tickets for Coldplay at Crystal Palace, as a gift for my girlfriend.

Now, I hate Coldplay and going to see them there of all places was my idea of hell. I should also say at this point that, at that stage in my life, I was happy living on my own and being able to watch the Albion everywhere I could. Oh and I certainly didn't want kids....

So, anway, on the day itself my girlfriend was rushed to hospital with stomach pains - turns out she was pregnant aaarrrggghhhh. She was fine but not well enough to see the gig. So I decided to go on my own and try to flog the tickets outside.

Best offer I got was £5 from some bleedin scrotey tout. Told him where to go and tore the tickets up in front of him.

Now that was a sh!t day!!!
I was at that gig. f***ing hammered it down. Thunder and lighting and Chris Martin laughed at us getting wet. f***ing smug Jeremy Hunt. Someone shouted "I hope you die in a car crash Martin, you arrogant piece of shit". Bit harsh but I could understand the fellas frustration. Think he lost a few fans that night.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you go to a Coldplay gig how can you expect anything but an evening of limp watery music?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Rush at the brighton Centre in 1981 - absolutely terrible and i was whacked after coming back from an overnight trip to Germany by coach.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Chilli Peppers at Docklands arena when they were touring the By The Way album. Seen them kick arse live before and this was agreat album. Lacklustre, limp performance. Thay may as well have played the album.

Jul 20, 2003
Air at the Dome about 6 or 7 years ago .... dull, dull, dull

really dull

very dull

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Courtney Pine at the Dome ...

He had a bit of a rep as a reggae sax player, but this gig turned out to be just about jazz.
Im sorry, but if go to see a band, I expect all the band members to be playing the same tune, and not
all playing something completely different, and at different speeds. Was out after the second 'tune' (which seemed to last a fecking
eternity)...i know there is melodious jazz, but this wasnt that sort of jazz.. just a racket.
Because of him, ive never since set foot in a jazz club, and probably missed some amazing evenings...the twat.

Mar 15, 2009
Brighton
Any band that open the doors at 7pm, shit support band then stand around for another 45mins while some fat bloke tunes up then the bands stay on for 1hr and 15mins, all done by 10pm and 50 quid down. The Boss knows how to give value!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here