Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst gigs of your life

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw The Stone Roses at The Brighton Centre - 1995, just after the much maligned 'Second Coming'.

Three of the original four were there - Ian Brown, who was his usual, static self, John Squire, who was brilliant on guitar and Mani on bass, who was, as usual, all action and rolling bass lines. The only person missing was Reni on drums.

I thought they were brilliant, as did most of the crowd; one of the most enthusiastic crowds I've experienced at that hole of a venue. Was this the same gig?

Now Ian Brown's solo gig at the same place was another story. He was lazy and disinterested, and if I remember rightly, was virtually booed off.

I have it in my head that John Squire was not with them when I saw them. Did they play another gig a short while later? My memory might be playing tricks on me, it was around '95.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have it in my head that John Squire was not with them when I saw them. Did they play another gig a short while later? My memory might be playing tricks on me, it was around '95.

I don't remember another one...it's possible. John Squire was definitely playing when I saw them, and striking a lot of look-at-me guitar hero poses too.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Chilli Peppers at Docklands arena when they were touring the By The Way album. Seen them kick arse live before and this was agreat album. Lacklustre, limp performance. Thay may as well have played the album.

I was at that gig, I enjoyed it, but then again I was literally on the crush barrier at the front, and shook Chad Smith's hand. IIRC Mars Volta were the support act and they were f***ing abysmal though. Never have "got" their music to be fair.

The Chili Peppers at Hyde park was worse though - Self indulgent shite, but with Chicks on Speed as support? Terrible.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Bob Dylan Brighton Centre 88? Totally dull unknown stuff
Lou Reed Wembley Stadium 90? Supporting U2, Springsteen or Stones
Complete boredom
Costello Top Rank 89? From brilliant previous gigs, Insisted on playing ZERO of his known tracks thinking it big, he lost his fan base & now desperately spins a wheel of his hits to select & please
Weller Brighton Centre 94? after the legendary Jam gigs then the dreadful Styld Council, he plated thd Zap & Suite well then his Movement turned up at the site of historic end of The Jam, left put the backing singers & brass & were weak beyond belief...I walked out halfway through angry & sad at shambles compared to previously

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Gong...bloody hell.

I was persuaded to go by friends who claimed that they were brilliant, inspirational, influential etc.

They were shit. Just unmitigated crap. Their level of uber-hippydom did at least provide some entertainment - it was funny. I looked around for others who were sharing the joke, but no, people were taking them seriously.
Was this at Hove town hall c 1974/75? If it was, I was there and I ... just.... did'nt....get...it!! My sympathies go out to you!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Loads. Jack Bruce's Lifetime, Courtney Pine, King Crimson, Robin Trowner, Van Der Graaf Generator, I am Kloot, Sting, ELP, Dylan at Hammersmith Odeon about '89, Jan Akkerman, Supertramp, 80% of Neil Young playing Greendale at Hammersmith Apollo about 9 years ago. The other 20% was sublime. The list is endless.

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
this is gonna seem like sacrelige, but here goes

Stevie Wonder - Brighton Dome 1971ish ,

the only excuse could surely be that he couldnt see the crowd yawning as he dawdled off into another moog [or whatever it was] endless endless .....

One of the first 'BIG' live artists I ever paid to sit and watch

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My gf, like a lot of young girls at the time had a crush on Bryan Adams years ago...she made me go with her to see him here, and it was possibly the longest concert ive ever had to endure. Seemed to go on for hours, and really not my music (for me personally, hard to imagine its anybodies)...even she thought it was shit, but just wanted to see him after her early teen crush years.....people were dancing?? I thought it was awful.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Was this at Hove town hall c 1974/75? If it was, I was there and I ... just.... did'nt....get...it!! My sympathies go out to you!
No, I saw them at the Corn Exchange a year or two ago. They've had over 30 years since you saw them to develop their stage show - it was like something from The Mighty Boosh. 'Would you like a cup of tea?' No I bloody wouldn't.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Worst probably The Stone Roses at The Brighton Centre. Half the band had left and Ian Brown cannot sing or work a crowd; he just marches on the spot. Utter crap.

Only Reni had left to be fair, and the gig was good, but after all the years of waiting to see them was a bit underwhelmed.

Ive seen Happy Mondays 3 times and theyve been awful all 3 times. But saw Black Grape at the event and they were brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here