The Worst Albion player that you actually liked

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
dave the gaffer said:
Keiron O'Reagan

Absolute class player

ahhhh . . .remember the volley he scored from a corner, so quick the cameras missed it

Peter Smith, a small ray in a very gloomy period

Larry May, always reminded me of a lost basketball player

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Cameron was an enigma - I always thought he was okay.

Valur Fannur Gislason, when he came on loan from Arsenal to the Priestfield - obviously a sound technical player, but really must have thought "what the fook am I doing here?" when playing with the likes of Hilton, McNally and Mahoney-Johnson.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
Cameron was an enigma - I always thought he was okay.

Valur Fannur Gislason, when he came on loan from Arsenal to the Priestfield - obviously a sound technical player, but really must have thought "what the fook am I doing here?" when playing with the likes of Hilton, McNally and Mahoney-Johnson.

The problem is he fittted in a treat with that lot.

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
slightly going off trhe thread her. but who was the guy we had for a short time a few years back, possibly at priestfield, on loan i think from charlton. he was a player i believe from african football who scored at barnet. he was bib striker and eventually we could not sign him as i think he could not get a visa or something like that. i only saw him once. can anyone recall

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
geoffreyp said:
slightly going off trhe thread her. but who was the guy we had for a short time a few years back, possibly at priestfield, on loan i think from charlton. he was a player i believe from african football who scored at barnet. he was bib striker and eventually we could not sign him as i think he could not get a visa or something like that. i only saw him once. can anyone recall
make that big striker, not a bib:D

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Emeka Ifejiagwa? CB, bloody good player.

As for Gislason, as I said, he was all right on the ball, but was built like an eight-year old girl, which never helped.

Last edited:

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
Repugnant Toad said:
Emeka Ifejiagwa? CB, bloody good player.

yes thats him, cheers toad. just looked him up on a site and says he went to osasuna in spain then wolfsburg germany before leaving in 2003 no sign since

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Charlie Livesey (a long time ago). "I'll walk a million miles for one of yer goals, Chaaarllee ...."

Except it seemed further than that.

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
perseus said:
Charlie Livesey (a long time ago). "I'll walk a million miles for one of yer goals, Chaaarllee ...."

Except it seemed further than that.
around that era possibly the fastest player of his time, david armstrong on the wing.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Dave Armstrong - lightning fast but no brakes. The number of times he (and the ball) ran straight into the advertising boards in the South Stand at the end of a 50 yard sprint that left everyone behind. he did score a couple of really good goals though - when he remembered to shoot before he ran out of pitch.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Jim D said:
Dave Armstrong - lightning fast but no brakes. The number of times he (and the ball) ran straight into the advertising boards in the South Stand at the end of a 50 yard sprint that left everyone behind. he did score a couple of really good goals though - when he remembered to shoot before he ran out of pitch.

There was another tactical snag as well. After it got to the byeline, he had to wait around for the "smash and garb " squad of Alex Dawson (a proligic goalscorer, despite occasionally missing from two yards) and Alan Duffy to amble up to the penalty area.

Three players who left Albion on a free as they were not good enough I disagreed with: Dave Armstrong (to Dover), Kieran O'Regan and Ross Johnson, but their playing careers never went anywhere afterwards.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Nathan Jones always makes me laugh. he is always trying to entertain even though he is not that good IMHO. I used to love watching Paul Wood. He would certainly give Ince a run for his money on the most annoying player in the world award.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Ifejiagwa! I still remember his goal against Barnet. Rain was sheeting down on us at Underhill that day, positioned out on that open bank of green seats. Albion fans filling the whole end with some people fighting to get into the covered terrace at the side. That ground really was (still is in fact) a dump, how were Kidderminster and Stevenage denied entry to the League when Underhill was allowed?

We'd been done 2-0 there the previous season (Damien Hiltons debut if I remember rightly when he memorably ducked a cross) and hopes weren't high that day. We had been beaten 3-1 in consecutive "home" games by Mansfield and Plymouth. We'd only won 1 out of the last 8 games, that victory coming in a Friday night 3-2 win at Cambridge. The night when Rod Thomas made his debut, another cult hero for me.

We'd signed this Nigerian guy on loan from Charlton Athletic and the Barnet PA guy seemed to have real problems pronouncing his name. The game kicked off with the rain bucketing down and the wind blowing straight into our faces. Several hundred people, upon realising that entry to the covered terrace could be gained via the snack hut, gained a sudden desire for half cooked burgers and luke warm tea.

I really can't remember much about the game, the rain was so heavy it was almost impossible to make out what was going on at the other end of the sloping pitch and the conditions were hardly going to encourage a free flowing game, not that that happened much in Division 3. We went in at 0-0 and I can recall feeling quite optimistic as I attempted to drain the water from my shoes.

In one of those ironies of life it actually stopped raining during the interval, leading people to hope that maybe the weather might start improving. As soon as the players reappeared for the 2nd half the heavens opened once more. Isn't it ironic Alanis? The rain during the 2nd half was even harder than in the 1st, by now it was like watching the game in a swimming pool only without the sting of the chlorine. The only chemical aftertaste that afternoon came from the burgers.

We came close with a couple of attacks and I started to get that "we're gonna score in a minute" feeling. And then we did. Ross Johnson lobbed in a long throw and the ball wobbled about, caught on the wind like a plastic bag, and Emeka Ifejiagwa leapt up like a salmon breaking through a waterfall and the ball skimmed off the back of his head and in to the net.

1-0

The Albion fans behind the goal merged into one joyous, sodden, mass leaping around on those green plastic seats, as the team celebrated in front of us. The poor Barnet PA guy was forced to try and pronounce Iffy's name for a second time, and I think we all knew that the game was over. We stood soaked to the skin but it didn't really matter. For the first time in ages I believed in the team, I KNEW we were going to win. And we did, of course.

He then starred the following week in a 3-2 win over Hartlepool at the Pissfield and after that came victories at Darlington and Hull. We started to rise up the 3rd division, the heady heights of 7th place were reached before Horton left for the "giants" of Port Vale and the season ended so badly. Then came Mickey Adams and the start of our rise through the leagues.

Not that Iffy was there to see it. After the victory over Hartlepool he had to return to Charlton. It seemed there was a problem with his employment visa and he was booted out of the country. No detention centre, no countless appeals to the Immigration department, just booted out and told not to return. Us Brits were ruthless against illegal immigrants back in them days. We don't need these Nigerians coming over here and taking our footballers jobs! An ageing Italian international needs his pension dammit!

He left for the more welcoming shores of Spain were he was employed by Osasuna and featured in their Segunda Liga promotion campaigns. The dawn of the millenium found him in the Bundesliga playing for VFL Wolfsburg and selected for the Super Eagles on several occasions. I think he's still out in Germany now, he was loaned out to Waldof Mannheim in 2003 but they went bust at the end of the season. We might need a replacement for Butters next season, wonder if we could slip him back into the country?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
silky dave cameron
dave lee
nathan jones

simon royce - sheer class!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Ifejiagwa! I still remember his goal against Barnet. Rain was sheeting down on us at Underhill that day, positioned out on that open bank of green seats. Albion fans filling the whole end with some people fighting to get into the covered terrace at the side. That ground really was (still is in fact) a dump, how were Kidderminster and Stevenage denied entry to the League when Underhill was allowed?

We'd been done 2-0 there the previous season (Damien Hiltons debut if I remember rightly when he memorably ducked a cross) and hopes weren't high that day. We had been beaten 3-1 in consecutive "home" games by Mansfield and Plymouth. We'd only won 1 out of the last 8 games, that victory coming in a Friday night 3-2 win at Cambridge. The night when Rod Thomas made his debut, another cult hero for me.

We'd signed this Nigerian guy on loan from Charlton Athletic and the Barnet PA guy seemed to have real problems pronouncing his name. The game kicked off with the rain bucketing down and the wind blowing straight into our faces. Several hundred people, upon realising that entry to the covered terrace could be gained via the snack hut, gained a sudden desire for half cooked burgers and luke warm tea.

I really can't remember much about the game, the rain was so heavy it was almost impossible to make out what was going on at the other end of the sloping pitch and the conditions were hardly going to encourage a free flowing game, not that that happened much in Division 3. We went in at 0-0 and I can recall feeling quite optimistic as I attempted to drain the water from my shoes.

In one of those ironies of life it actually stopped raining during the interval, leading people to hope that maybe the weather might start improving. As soon as the players reappeared for the 2nd half the heavens opened once more. Isn't it ironic Alanis? The rain during the 2nd half was even harder than in the 1st, by now it was like watching the game in a swimming pool only without the sting of the chlorine. The only chemical aftertaste that afternoon came from the burgers.

We came close with a couple of attacks and I started to get that "we're gonna score in a minute" feeling. And then we did. Ross Johnson lobbed in a long throw and the ball wobbled about, caught on the wind like a plastic bag, and Emeka Ifejiagwa leapt up like a salmon breaking through a waterfall and the ball skimmed off the back of his head and in to the net.

1-0

The Albion fans behind the goal merged into one joyous, sodden, mass leaping around on those green plastic seats, as the team celebrated in front of us. The poor Barnet PA guy was forced to try and pronounce Iffy's name for a second time, and I think we all knew that the game was over. We stood soaked to the skin but it didn't really matter. For the first time in ages I believed in the team, I KNEW we were going to win. And we did, of course.

He then starred the following week in a 3-2 win over Hartlepool at the Pissfield and after that came victories at Darlington and Hull. We started to rise up the 3rd division, the heady heights of 7th place were reached before Horton left for the "giants" of Port Vale and the season ended so badly. Then came Mickey Adams and the start of our rise through the leagues.

Not that Iffy was there to see it. After the victory over Hartlepool he had to return to Charlton. It seemed there was a problem with his employment visa and he was booted out of the country. No detention centre, no countless appeals to the Immigration department, just booted out and told not to return. Us Brits were ruthless against illegal immigrants back in them days. We don't need these Nigerians coming over here and taking our footballers jobs! An ageing Italian international needs his pension dammit!

He left for the more welcoming shores of Spain were he was employed by Osasuna and featured in their Segunda Liga promotion campaigns. The dawn of the millenium found him in the Bundesliga playing for VFL Wolfsburg and selected for the Super Eagles on several occasions. I think he's still out in Germany now, he was loaned out to Waldof Mannheim in 2003 but they went bust at the end of the season. We might need a replacement for Butters next season, wonder if we could slip him back into the country?

:clap: When was the last time we had a world cup player?

:bowdown: Emeka Ifejiagwa :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here