Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The World's Most Boring Sport

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
So why not just bet on football, or the stockmarket, or cricket, or, well anything else? Because there's no spectacle to be had at the racing itself - take away the gambling, if it wasn't an excuse for a bit of a piss-up in some quite nice settings, there'd be no point. Might as well just have the beer somewhere.

Quite like jump racing though. At least there, sometimes the horses fall over and hurt themselves for our entertainment.
If it wasn't for horse racing, the price of superglue with be double what it is today. You'd do well to remember that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
tedebear said:
I like Monty Pythons horses and the knights that go ni, is that ok MoH?
Hmm...ok then...but only because it's you!;)

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Man of Harveys said:
Hmm...ok then...but only because it's you!;)

Hurrah!! :lol:

I don't find horseracing boring, just upsetting, especially the fence jumping ones, I'm dreadful at the pub when the grand national is on, last year I was hiding under my jacket when some of the horses fell over and crashed :(

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Simster said:
And that's because whenever a crash happens, they wheel out the safety cars and all the cars bunch up again. So if you're in 30th and 8 laps behind the leader, best try and force a crash because with a bit of luck afterwards you'll still be in 30th but only 50 yards behind the race leader.

In short, it's contrived. A bit like how they change the clock stopping rules in the last 2 minutes of a gridiron game in order to make it more exciting.

Wank.

If you're eight laps behind the leader and there's a crash, you'll still be eight laps behind the leader - the pace car doesn't put everyone on the same lap...
I know the format is contrived to create close racing, my point is that compared to something like Formula 1, that is nothing more than a procession with pit stops, NASCAR is pretty good to watch.
PS there are no special rules regarding stopping the clock in the last two minutes of a gridiron game. The last two minutes are the same as the first fifty-eight

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Buffalo Seagull said:
If you're eight laps behind the leader and there's a crash, you'll still be eight laps behind the leader - the pace car doesn't put everyone on the same lap...
I know the format is contrived to create close racing, my point is that compared to something like Formula 1, that is nothing more than a procession with pit stops, NASCAR is pretty good to watch.
OK you're right, but if you're second but nearly a lap behind when the pace car comes out, you can still bunch right up to the leader. So it is still contrived.

Buffalo Seagull said:
PS there are no special rules regarding stopping the clock in the last two minutes of a gridiron game. The last two minutes are the same as the first fifty-eight
You're wrong, and it took just seconds to google for it:

Pay attention to number 4:
http://www.footballscrimmage.com/nfl/timing-final-two-minutes.shtml

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Simster said:
OK you're right, but if you're second but nearly a lap behind when the pace car comes out, you can still bunch right up to the leader. So it is still contrived.

You're wrong, and it took just seconds to google for it:

Pay attention to number 4:
http://www.footballscrimmage.com/nfl/timing-final-two-minutes.shtml

Well, you learn something new every day - although if I was being picky I'd point out that number 4 relates to the last five minutes of the game, not the last 2 :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here