Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The word "Route"

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Why do Americans pronounce the word Route so it rhymes with "bout" rather than "loot"?

Are there lots of other words that are given an American conversion?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
And why are so many businesses using CENTER these days? :angry:

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
The Large One said:
Too many to name. So I won't bother.

But here's one that hasn't really crossed the Atlantic... wankers.

which i use as often as possible as they absolutely love it. Bollocks comes a close second.

shouting "that's f***ing bollocks you wanker" at an umpire is an absolute winner, unless playing in which case you get 'ejected from the game.' which just goes to prove the bloke IS a wanker.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Only problem is that to an American the word pissed means unhappy and not drunk.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Virgo's Haircut said:
Why do Americans pronounce the word Route so it rhymes with "bout" rather than "loot"?

The Yanks are correct on this one imho. When you go 'out' somewhere you don't go 'ooot' (unless you're Alba) you go 'owt' so pronouncing 'route' as 'rowt' makes sense, in the same way that their pronounciation of Moscow makes more sense than ours, as we don't call a Cow a 'Co' so why do we pronounce Moscow like that?

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Re: Re: The word "Route"

Cheeky Monkey said:
The Yanks are correct on this one imho. When you go 'out' somewhere you don't go 'ooot' (unless you're Alba) you go 'owt' so pronouncing 'route' as 'rowt' makes sense, in the same way that their pronounciation of Moscow makes more sense than ours, as we don't call a Cow a 'Co' so why do we pronounce Moscow like that?

Both "route" and "Moscow" are loan-words from other languages. Route is pronounced, in British English, in the same manner as it is in its original French; Moscow is a bit weird in both English and American pronunciation when compared with the Russian.

edited: To be entirely accurate neither word is strictly, linguistically speaking a loan-word; both are words which originate in a foreign language. However, in this case it's a reasonable generalisation, I think.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
As you know, I was having a blazing row with a brown cow, which sat in the bow, whilst I was rowing across a pond near a bow in the river. On the banks we saw an old mower in need of a tow. The owner was about to throw in the towel, until he saw us and went: "Wow! How now brown cow? Oh, and thou. How about a tow?"

I said: "No, not now."

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Trufflehound said:
As you know, I was having a blazing row with a brown cow, which sat in the bow, whilst I was rowing across a pond near a bow in the river. On the banks we saw an old mower in need of a tow. The owner was about to throw in the towel, until he saw us and went: "Wow! How now brown cow? Oh, and thou. How about a tow?"

I said: "No, not now."

Wow! :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Virgo's Haircut said:

Actually they spell it 'rout'. That does leave them with no description of performances like Sunday's though.

The word they really murder is the one that describes something that's anchored to the bed of a body of water, a 'bouy'.

Took me a long time to realise what they ment by the words 'Boo Ee'. Mind you they spell that 'bouy'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
acrossthepond said:
and pavement is the surface of the road, just to realy confuse every one.

still, it's nice being able to stroke my wife's fanny in public.

Yes but they get very worried when the hear that in this country (the land that tried to teach them a decent langauge), a 'fag' is something you put in your mouth. Mind you to some of them it is too, thing is their definition of the word 'smoking' and ours differs too.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
dougdeep said:
And why are so many businesses using CENTER these days? :angry:

Because Microsoft spelling is taking over the world.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Re: Re: The word "Route"

bhaexpress said:
Actually they spell it 'rout'. That does leave them with no description of performances like Sunday's though.

The word they really murder is the one that describes something that's anchored to the bed of a body of water, a 'bouy'.

Took me a long time to realise what they ment by the words 'Boo Ee'. Mind you they spell that 'bouy'.

Does this mean that some things are "booeeant"? And that there is such an article of clothing as a "booeeancy aid"?

Weird...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here