Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

' The Wetherspoons Man '.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Thought it was him, seem to remember the club making a presentation to him while we were still at the Goldstone...his away trips included pre-season friendlies in Hong Kong, now that really is dedication.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
"other pursuits"?

Don't tell me - he needs a new challenge so 'emptying the Yangtze River with a
tablespoon' seemed a challenge he couldn't turn down.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Other pursuits?

KVclaraDoc.JPG

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Doc's a mate of mine so here's a few unincriminating (I hope) facts.

He's 62 I reckon now, came to Brighton in the late 60's but his 'birth' team is QPR so has a soft spot for them.

He has been to Withers but will not watch league games there unless it's against a team he has not seen before. I reckon he'll be there for Orient in the LDV.

It's true he hasn't missed an away game in near 40 years and, as Carlisle is the anniversary, that's when he'll call it a day.

When Albion are at home he will find a game somewhere in the UK and has visited very nearly every senior ground above County league level. He also does the 'Spoons thing and for any trip he maps out a list of real ale pubs to get to, often in the most obscure of places.

He has had colds and flu, and who can wonder at it? You know it's cold when he resorts to wearing a jumper. Other than that it's a thin shirt and jacket, never a coat.

Has a passion for Irish sport and will often delve into his bag to find an obscure article on something or other and will look aghast if you don't appear to know what it's all about!

Also goes to a lot of gigs but has some wierd tastes in music too. Shuns the limelight but quite happy to be in the background and prefer to make his own way. A tendancy to mumble makes conversation difficult.

All in all pretty dependable bloke but he also comes from a politicly active age and is a man of principles as those at Yeovil may remember. A few years back, when there was only one bus for our fans he lay in the road and prevented traffic moving until more buses were supplied.

Oh, and he's not on NSC or have a computer at home.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

He's 62 I reckon now, came to Brighton in the late 60's but his 'birth' team is QPR so has a soft spot for them.

He has been to Withers but will not watch league games there unless it's against a team he has not seen before. I reckon he'll be there for Orient in the LDV.

It's true he hasn't missed an away game in near 40 years and, as Carlisle is the anniversary, that's when he'll call it a day.

When Albion are at home he will find a game somewhere in the UK and has visited very nearly every senior ground above County league level. He also does the 'Spoons thing and for any trip he maps out a list of real ale pubs to get to, often in the most obscure of places.

He has had colds and flu, and who can wonder at it? You know it's cold when he resorts to wearing a jumper. Other than that it's a thin shirt and jacket, never a coat.

Has a passion for Irish sport and will often delve into his bag to find an obscure article on something or other and will look aghast if you don't appear to know what it's all about!

Also goes to a lot of gigs but has some wierd tastes in music too. Shuns the limelight but quite happy to be in the background and prefer to make his own way. A tendancy to mumble makes conversation difficult.

All in all pretty dependable bloke but he also comes from a politicly active age and is a man of principles as those at Yeovil may remember. A few years back, when there was only one bus for our fans he lay in the road and prevented traffic moving until more buses were supplied.

First one to say 'Freak!' gets shouted at :angry:

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008

Does/did this guy not have a JOB?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Feel a bit odd commenting on someone who (as explained) doesn't have the chance to reply but I've spoken to him a few times and he's always been friendly.

I think his little "obsession" (if you want to call it that) is wonderful and just as fascinating is his decision to suddenly give it up.

Round of applause from me.

It doesn't make him odd, it makes him interesting.

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
Only goes to away games, says he never been to Withdean; he was in the Fat Cat - Kelham Island before the game.

He does all the JPT, FA and Carling Cup home games.

He reckons that after Carlisle wherever Brighton are playing he will try to go to a Non League ground within that area.

His 1000th Brighton away game was in fact the 4-4 draw with Wycombe which he didnt realised until a few weeks ago.

The man is a true legend who will be missed at away games, but i can understand his decision not to go anymore as he gets more fun out of going to new grounds and visiting new towns/villages than visiting the likes of Hartlepool/Carlisle for the 15th + time

As for Wetherspoons he has been slacking a bit, think he's got 20+ at the moment.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He does have a job.

There are others like him out there. When it comes ot August BH or Easter Time they will meet up somewhere and take in as many games as they can. If you look at Easter with Good Friday, saturday, Easter Sunday, BH Monday and often a Tuesday I think they can, with careful planning, do a dozen games.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here