Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The West Pier

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:
It would improve the sights if the old iron rubble was removed and du.mped

I think the end bit has a beauty of it's own.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Could fairly easily IMHO build a strong yet cheap and tasteful canopy over the pier, resurrect the walkway and make it into a West Pier museum. I mean, the ironwork structure is sound as. They transformed the old Victorian aquarium into a Sea Life Centre fairly well. Maybe something along similar lines for the West Pier. If only to piss orf the Ignoble criminals that run the Palace Pier.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Can't believe the (ig)noble organisation. They seem to be trying to block ANYTHING being built on our seafront as it will be "competition".

After blocking the West Pier from getting Lottery funding they're now trying to stop the i360.

They also didn't rebuild the theatre on the end of the Palace Pier (Hanbury Ballroom anyone?).

They also changed the pier's name to make it to the wider world that there is only one pier in Brighton.

Surpised they've not tried to close EVERY rock-shop, cafe, bar, restaurant on the Brighton seafront as it's "competition".

How is the i360 going to be comparable to the Palace Pier? The latter is a scum-hole only frequented by kids & tourists. They can keep it, but don't f**k around with anything else.

They should piss of out of our city.

Here endeth my rant of the day.

:angry: :censored: :angry: :censored: :angry: :censored:

hans kraay fan club said:
I always liked Nick Cave's idea, of just dumping tons of topsoil on it, then leaving nature to do what it liked!

Which would be...... wash away all the topsoil, which would quickly be claimed to the sea - leaving.... a bunch of ugly-arsed pins that the council will be happy to leave where they are.

That's why Nick Cave is an artist, and they dream loads of pie-in-sky so they can sell records.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
bigc said:
what do you mean, hanbury ballroom?

The mushroomy mineret (sp?) on the roof, similar to the one that adorned the forestry place on the corner of the old New England Street were, allegedly, part of the old theatre at the end of the Palace Pier that mysteriously didn't get rebuilt as part of the agreement when taking on ownership of the pier.

Allegedly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is neither use nor ornament and too much money has been wasted on it already. Demolish it completely and tidy up the front, obvious answer. Why should lottery money be wasted on a pile of derelict old rusty pipes, which may have appeared to be beautiful years ago but is now an eyesore and not needed.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BensGrandad said:
It is neither use nor ornament and too much money has been wasted on it already. Demolish it completely and tidy up the front, obvious answer. Why should lottery money be wasted on a pile of derelict old rusty pipes, which may have appeared to be beautiful years ago but is now an eyesore and not needed.

I don't think it is an eyesore at all. It can look extremely striking at sunset and sunrise. Plus, where would all the starlings live!? :ohmy:

west-pier-sunset.jpg

They are planning to put uplights around it and hopefully restore it.

I don't think it is a waste of money at all.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Barrel of Fun said:
I don't think it is an eyesore at all. It can look extremely striking at sunset and sunrise. Plus, where would all the starlings live!? :ohmy:

west-pier-sunset.jpg

They are planning to put uplights around it and hopefully restore it.

I don't think it is a waste of money at all.

Nor me and it serves as a reminder to the idiots who allowed to go that way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is what makes this country of our so great (thank you Maggie) the freedom of opinion and the right to express that view in a civil manner.

I think that it is an eye sore and the sooner it is demolished completely the better.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BensGrandad said:
That is what makes this country of our so great (thank you Maggie) the freedom of opinion and the right to express that view in a civil manner.

I think that it is an eye sore and the sooner it is demolished completely the better.

:angry: Over my dead body.

I will fight you on the beach, BG. :jester:

The area will be regenerated and the gangway and twisted wreck will be removed, that is an eyesore.
I honestly don't see the problem of the old Concert hall. But as you say, it is all about personal perception.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
pasty said:
Take your Bernabeu, Stadio Del Alpi, Theatre of Dreams, Millenium, Allianz Arena, New Wembley and shove 'em your arse - A Stadium out to sea would be the coolest on the planet.

Only problem though is we'd need frogmen instead of ballboys
:lolol:
"i'm sorry , the match has been postponed due to the tide coming in"

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Barrel of Fun said:
:angry: Over my dead body.

I will fight you on the beach, BG. :jester:

The area will be regenerated and the gangway and twisted wreck will be removed, that is an eyesore.
I honestly don't see the problem of the old Concert hall. But as you say, it is all about personal perception.

I'm with you BOF. Side by side on the beach

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That sounds like bullying 2 against one even if the 1 is a fat one!!

Because I am a coward I will meet you halfway we will demolish the parts nearest to the prom and leave the bit out at sea. The onkly stipulation is that the money comes from private sources or donations not from any government, council or lottery funding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here