Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wembley experience.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Don't believe a word of that 80s or 90s nostalgic nonsense. We went to loads of qualifiers and friendlies over that period and the atmosphere was still rubbish. In fact possibly worse with loads of dicks singing anti IRA garbage. The only time the atmosphere is ever any good for England games is in big tournament matches. Then it can be superb.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Don't believe a word of that 80s or 90s nostalgic nonsense. We went to loads of qualifiers and friendlies over that period and the atmosphere was still rubbish. In fact possibly worse with loads of dicks singing anti IRA garbage. The only time the atmosphere is ever any good for England games is in big tournament matches. Then it can be superb.

Yeah, true. Often half empty too, of course. When Columbia's Higuita did the scorpion kick in 1995-ish, we had an entire row of seats to ourselves.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hopefully the game against the Jocks next year will have a bit of atmosphere.

Can't really put a finger on why the atmosphere is so shite, I think it's because of our recent form and the fact that we seem to play there so often.

It IS possible for new Wembley to rock though - the Wally with a Brolly game was stunning

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yeah, true. Often half empty too, of course. When Columbia's Higuita did the scorpion kick in 1995-ish, we had an entire row of seats to ourselves.
I was at that game! 20,000...?

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
Wembley

Was at the game and the atmosphere was pretty dire but then again England were not that good. I've been to Wembley for England games on many occasions, I recall Hately battering Turkey in a 5-0 28 years ago when Turkey were always stuffed, but great atmosphere for one reason, you could go with your mates. There is a limit to the number of tickets you can buy, you have to be an England member to get tickets in the first call and this leads to a disjointed crowd, no connection no camaraderie. The only game that had the old atmos was the Coatia game and I still think we'd have won it if the bloody pitch hadn't been ruined by American "football" the week before. It's the ticketing policy that's at fault and this has led to me going to fewer games. I know this is also the case for some of the old die hards who used to create what atmosphere there used to be. Mexican wave at 40 mins? FFS.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I will NEVER go to watch England again until that f***ing god awful band has been banned for good.

Do they realise how much people hate them and wish they would sod off? Someone should tell them.

Jan 30, 2008
Indeed. Just the 85,000 there last night, pathetic turnout.

Bring back the old half-empty Wembley for qualifiers. PWOPA football.
ha ha ,kids , happy clappers with and an assortment of oddballs( including the band,) yeah bring back an old half empty Wembley and they would still make more noise

Jan 30, 2008
no surrender :drama:

Jan 30, 2008
I can't stand the band either.

Have only been to one game at the new Wembley, and that also had piss-poor atmosphere. Apart from the away fans (Dutch) who were right next to us, it was abit like being in a library.

I do wonder whether it's down to the over-priced tickets. Certainly for evening games you get a lot of city types there in their suits, gone straight from work.
jcl's :angry:

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
So glad i got to go to Wembley in the 70's/80's last night so called full house seemed to generate an awful atmosphere paper clappers/band/empty corp seats and Mexican wave plus the amex type fire drill is enough for me never to attend a future kids party at Wembley,glad i watched it from home.They must take England around the country in the hope of better regional atmospheres ??? The lack of passion all round has killed the national team.

Agree 100%.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Scotland home & away qualifiers 99?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
So glad i got to go to Wembley in the 70's/80's last night so called full house seemed to generate an awful atmosphere paper clappers/band/empty corp seats and Mexican wave plus the amex type fire drill is enough for me never to attend a future kids party at Wembley,glad i watched it from home.They must take England around the country in the hope of better regional atmospheres ??? The lack of passion all round has killed the national team.

Yeah like to Stadium of Light where they sang 5 songs all game v Belgium...all of them 'Super Kevin Phillips'

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Saying you prefer the old wembley to the new one is a bit like saying you prefer the Goldstone to the Amex. The memories might be great but the reality was dreadful. I went to the old Wembley a few times for the Albion and a few England games - it was horrible. Poor sight lines, appalling facilities, cramped seats or crushed terraces, poor transport links, non existent catering other than the ring of e-coli burger vans around the outside of the stadium. I've yet to get to the new Wembley but wouldn't want to go back to the old one - its 2012, not 1972.

I suppose its what you enjoy about football matches. Having attended England matches at both old and new, if I had the choice to re-visit a game it would be old every time. Pay on the gate, massive terraces where you could stand where and who with you wanted to, crowd generated atmosphere.

Yes the facilities were not great but I can last two hours without food or drink and get something to eat well away from a football ground if I need to, maybe that's not a modern thing either.

. There was that Croatia one under McLaren but I think most of you thought you'd easily get the draw

I used to follow England but don't have any interest now, Said match was the last one I went to but in fairness re: the atmosphere It was pissing down, possibly the worst I can remember at the match and every one was soaked to the skin walking up Wembley Way

I suppose its what you enjoy about football matches. Having attended England matches at both old and new, if I had the choice to re-visit a game it would be old every time. Pay on the gate, massive terraces where you could stand where and who with you wanted to, crowd generated atmosphere.

Yes the facilities were not great but I can last two hours without food or drink and get something to eat well away from a football ground if I need to, maybe that's not a modern thing either.

I'm with you Gaz, I might be taking this a step too far but in reply to 'Since 1982' I'd have The Goldstone back in a shot if it was like it was in 1979!

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Ive been to plenty of games at the New Wembley and old Wembley. Can honestly say that I have not renewed my membership this qualification perios due to the shit experience Wembley has to offer. You are watching your national team for f*** sake so have some passion. Away days by far the better experience. Yes the stadium is fantastic, the views great, But an atmosphere is not much to ask for. Ive been to some of the better qualification games there and still no atmosphere. Getting rid of the band is a must as everyone feels they have to sing along to them. It made me cringe watching the clappy paper things, mexican wave and leaving on 75 minutes! Got to send the qualification games out to club stadiums again.....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here