Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wembley experience.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
So glad i got to go to Wembley in the 70's/80's last night so called full house seemed to generate an awful atmosphere paper clappers/band/empty corp seats and Mexican wave plus the amex type fire drill is enough for me never to attend a future kids party at Wembley,glad i watched it from home.They must take England around the country in the hope of better regional atmospheres ??? The lack of passion all round has killed the national team.

I think the lack of ability and talent has killed the national team more than the lack of passion

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Don't believe a word of that 80s or 90s nostalgic nonsense. We went to loads of qualifiers and friendlies over that period and the atmosphere was still rubbish. In fact possibly worse with loads of dicks singing anti IRA garbage. The only time the atmosphere is ever any good for England games is in big tournament matches. Then it can be superb.

This. I went to a World Cup Qualifier in 1986 against Northern Ireland and I think it was Wembley's lowest post war crowd (35,300 according to the statsts on the web) . The atmosphere was dire, the stadium was cavenous and empty as was most of the football on show, but I recall seeing loads, well 3, of brighton players playing international football

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This. I went to a World Cup Qualifier in 1986 against Northern Ireland and I think it was Wembley's lowest post war crowd. The atmosphere was dire, the stadium was cavenous and empty as was most of the football on show, but I recall seeing loads, well 3, of brighton players playing international football

Armstrong, Penney and Nelson?

Jan 30, 2008
Ive been to plenty of games at the New Wembley and old Wembley. Can honestly say that I have not renewed my membership this qualification perios due to the shit experience Wembley has to offer. You are watching your national team for f*** sake so have some passion. Away days by far the better experience. Yes the stadium is fantastic, the views great, But an atmosphere is not much to ask for. Ive been to some of the better qualification games there and still no atmosphere. Getting rid of the band is a must as everyone feels they have to sing along to them. It made me cringe watching the clappy paper things, mexican wave and leaving on 75 minutes! Got to send the qualification games out to club stadiums again.....................
couldn't people just sing at them along the lines of "you're shit and we know you are" .???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here