Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ultimate REFERENDUM thread

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That's my view too. Still, maybe that will change when we finally strap on a pair and put two fingers up to Brussels.

Just seems strange to me that we in the UK are having a vote on whether to stay or leave the EU, and yet votes are allowed from people living in the EU countries that we are voting on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's my view too. Still, maybe that will change when we finally strap on a pair and put two fingers up to Brussels.

I'll bite. Why shouldn't all UK passport holders be able to vote? Just because folk are out the country it doesn't mean they'll never return. And where do you draw the line? What about soldiers? What about elderly folk who spend a few months in the sun? People have all sorts of reasons, temporary and more permanent, for living away from the UK. Their views and opinions are as valid as anyone's.

And as it happens all citizens of the commonwealth countries can vote in this referendum. What do you think about this?

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I'll bite. Why shouldn't all UK passport holders be able to vote? Just because folk are out the country it doesn't mean they'll never return. And where do you draw the line? What about soldiers? What about elderly folk who spend a few months in the sun? People have all sorts of reasons, temporary and more permanent, for living away from the UK. Their views and opinions are as valid as anyone's.

And as it happens all citizens of the commonwealth countries can vote in this referendum. What do you think about this?
I don't . I just wanted the bite 😊 🐟

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Good old Switzerland.
again sticking the knife into the stupid freedom of movement idea.

The Swiss government presented a plan to restrict newcomers from the European Union, risking a worsening of relations with the 28-country bloc that could deal a blow to the economy.

While the government still aims to achieve a deal with the EU, it’s submitting a unilateral “safeguard clause” to parliament in order to comply with deadlines set by a 2014 referendum to limit immigration,
Swiss Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga told reporters in Bern on Friday, calling the proposal a “Plan B.” The Swiss talks are being held up by the U.K. referendum to exit the EU, she said
The government on Friday also proposed to exclude unemployed foreigners from receiving welfare,

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/switzerland-presents-unilateral-limits-on-immigration-from-eu/42001914

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just seems strange to me that we in the UK are having a vote on whether to stay or leave the EU, and yet votes are allowed from people living in the EU countries that we are voting on.

Presumably though if you leave the EU then HT and his ilk (unpatriotic, Johnny Leave earlys) will either have to return to their country of origin or take up citizenship in their adopted countries? If this is the case then they should certainly have a vote as the action will arguably affect them more than some angry bloke who is worried about foreigners running amok in Sompting. (last bit is a joke SM don't go menstrual and ignored the main thrust of the post).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

From what i can see only Citizens of the commonwealth residing in the UK can vote.

Although expats who have been away less than 15 years and are still on the electoral role can vote.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Good old Switzerland.
again sticking the knife into the stupid freedom of movement idea.

The Swiss government presented a plan to restrict newcomers from the European Union, risking a worsening of relations with the 28-country bloc that could deal a blow to the economy.

While the government still aims to achieve a deal with the EU, it’s submitting a unilateral “safeguard clause” to parliament in order to comply with deadlines set by a 2014 referendum to limit immigration,
Swiss Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga told reporters in Bern on Friday, calling the proposal a “Plan B.” The Swiss talks are being held up by the U.K. referendum to exit the EU, she said
The government on Friday also proposed to exclude unemployed foreigners from receiving welfare,

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/switzerland-presents-unilateral-limits-on-immigration-from-eu/42001914

Just shows everyone what a shit deal Cameron has got. Those snide EU shits waiting for our referendum result and holding things up for Switzerland. Not hearing anybody saying they are going to boycott Swiss goods either or any of the other Bullshit we have to put with. Out, out, out

Last edited by a moderator:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you don't live here you should not get a vote, just my opinion.

Personally I think it should be more, if you don't agree in holding referendums then don't vote in them. I don't agree with voting for PCCs so guess what ? I don't vote in those elections !

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Presumably though if you leave the EU then HT and his ilk (unpatriotic, Johnny Leave earlys) will either have to return to their country of origin or take up citizenship in their adopted countries? .

IF we left the EU why would UK citizens be singled out and have to leave or take citizenship? Surely their status would be the same as other nationals living and working in the EU who are also non EU citizens and also be subject to the same regulations as them also,

Do Australians,Americans,Koreans or anyone else for that matter applying to work or live within the EU have to take up citizenship of the host country? Why single out the UK?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
IF we left the EU why would UK citizens be singled out and have to leave or take citizenship? Surely their status would be the same as other nationals living and working in the EU who are also non EU citizens and also be subject to the same regulations as them also,

Do Australians,Americans,Koreans or anyone else for that matter applying to work or live within the EU have to take up citizenship of the host country? Why single out the UK?

Because the falsehood supports Project Fear's aims.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I don't know the details to be honest but I would have thought that an out decision would mean that some people's arrangements would change to such an extent that they would have to return back to the UK. Is this not the case?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Seriously? You point to the past with European wars blighting the continent as a reason for the UK to remain within the EU?

For the love of God man.

Yes, seriously. Not a major reason, but it is certainly in the mix.

You may not understand my attitude. I certainly don't understand yours. Maybe we are just at opposite ends of the spectrum on the question.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

For what it's worth I would investigate dual citizenship if the UK left the EU. I prefer the many advantages and freedoms of being an EU citizen as opposed to the continual ball-ache which, for example, Americans have. A lot of things we take for granted will disappear.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
For what it's worth I would investigate dual citizenship if the UK left the EU. I prefer the many advantages and freedoms of being an EU citizen as opposed to the continual ball-ache which, for example, Americans have. A lot of things we take for granted will disappear.

I don't think you will be alone there, i would imagine it would cause ball ache for a great many ex pats living in the EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
IF we left the EU why would UK citizens be singled out and have to leave or take citizenship?
If you work for a big company then you most likely won't. But If you work in any job which isn't prepared to, or cannot afford to, assist you with visa paperwork you'll be at an immediate and huge disadvantage e.g. small businesses such as the start-up sector, students working in cafes, interns, touring parties, the arts etc etc? It's the EU freedoms which enable mainly young UK people to do these jobs with utter ease and without restriction. I don't want to deny them this opportunity.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Presumably though if you leave the EU then HT and his ilk (unpatriotic, Johnny Leave earlys) will either have to return to their country of origin or take up citizenship in their adopted countries? If this is the case then they should certainly have a vote as the action will arguably affect them more than some angry bloke who is worried about foreigners running amok in Sompting. (last bit is a joke SM don't go menstrual and ignored the main thrust of the post).

Ah, i wondered when you would chip in. You do love to put phrases in that i have not stated. Have i stated "unpatriotic, Johnny Leave earlys)" ?, no, and have i stated i am "worried about foreigners running amok in Sompting",no. I think you will find i have stated that i support controlled immigration and have never mentioned anybody "running amok in Sompting". Why would i be going "menstrual" just because i have an opinion that differs to those that don't actually live in the UK but can vote on our future.
Are you a Drama Teacher because your posts suggests you might be.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

D

Deleted member 22389

If you work for a big company then you most likely won't. But If you work in any job which isn't prepared to, or cannot afford to, assist you with visa paperwork you'll be at an immediate and huge disadvantage e.g. small businesses such as the start-up sector, students working in cafes, interns, touring parties, the arts etc etc? It's the EU freedoms which enable mainly young UK people to do these jobs with utter ease and without restriction. I don't want to deny them this opportunity.

Why should highly qualified people from outside the EU be treated different? It's why the UK needs one border policy for all. Open borders just leads to abuse of the system and absolutely zero control over the quality of people that come in. It's common sense. Everyone knows it and everyone can see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here