Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The TURKS are out.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
just watched the highlights and have never seen a winning team get off the pitch so quickly in my life. there was stuff being thrown from everywhere. should ban them from international football for a long time.:censored:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
B.M.F said:
just watched the highlights and have never seen a winning team get off the pitch so quickly in my life. there was stuff being thrown from everywhere. should ban them from international football for a long time.:censored:

It seems it's every game the Turks are involved in...time for some action from FIFA (and not one of their "It's not England so we fine you 50 Euros-and don't do it again" efforts.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The Turks always get away with it! After I lost my right eye at the Turkey v England match in Izmir on 31/3/1993 they got banned from playing home matches for 6 months, there next competitive match was 7 months away.

There should be an investigation into how UEFA and FIFA hand out the punishment as the Turkish teams in the Champions League and the National team get treated very leniently IMHO, but that I am a little biased!

Anyway fantastic result last night, well done the Swiss!

Blatter is saying a lot on the press today, but in never gets followed up with any action. UEFA/FIFA are a little like the FA, they will do FA about it!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
i think its a shame they're out. At least their fans care, the swiss, may as well not be there.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If the Turks can't take losing why do they bother playing? They look f***ing pathetic kicking off every time they lose a game? They're shit. They rarely qualify for any of the major tournaments, you'd have thought they'd have got the hang of losing by now...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
MrV said:
You have to remember Turkey are really, really new to all this. For the history of football, Turkey have been shite and uninterested. Only in the last decade, if that, have they become any good.

Most countries have had years of practice to keep footy civilised. English fans haven't always been angels have we - far from it.

I think it's FIFA's responsibility to punish them on the pitch, if they are to take things seriously off of it.

It's a shame really, Turkey's such a quality country, full of quality people and now even has a decent standard of football. As a nation it really doesn't deserve the reputation that the football fans have given it.

That's fair enough, however, we served a hefty punishment for what happened in the 80's, and there is absolutely no sign of these things happening to anybody else. We are still held up as the problem country, and while I accept that we are no angels, going to a match in say Italy or Turkey is far more treachorous than going to a match in England. Yet they have been left to it for a very long time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seagull73 said:
That's fair enough, however, we served a hefty punishment for what happened in the 80's, and there is absolutely no sign of these things happening to anybody else. We are still held up as the problem country, and while I accept that we are no angels, going to a match in say Italy or Turkey is far more treachorous than going to a match in England. Yet they have been left to it for a very long time.
I'm sure they'll get banned if and when Turkish fans are directly responsible for 50+ deaths inside a football stadium as opposed to the occasional knifing and occurrences of throwing objects from the stadium.

Turkish football fans are indeed an absolute disgrace and it is high time they were punished, but lets not compare their antics to those of 1980s English hoolie wankers who ruined watching the national game for a generation.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
From the beeb

Fifa begins Turkey violence probe

More World Cup play-off photos
Full list of World Cup qualifiers
Fifa president Sepp Blatter says it will hold an investigation into the violence at the end of the World Cup tie between Turkey and Switzerland.
The Swiss qualified on the away goals rule but the end of the game was marred as players clashed in the tunnel.

Blatter says the inquiry will be finished by 9 December, when the draw for the finals takes place in Leipzig.

He warned: "I can tell you this, not as a Swiss but as president of Fifa, that we will act and we will act tough."

Blatter added: "This was anti-fair play. The Turks had the chance to act as a good host and show that a revenge foul is not done in football.

"The catalogue of sanctions extends from a simple warning to suspension of the federation, which could mean exclusion from the next international event.

"The inquiry will show whether we will investigate against Switzerland, too."

This went beyond the limits of intimidation... I was told 'We're going to slit your throat.'

Switzerland's Johann Lonfat

Turkish Soccer Federation vice president Sekip Mosturoglu said he was disappointed by Blatter's comments.

"Blatter's comments were extremely unfortunate. This was not a one-sided event," said Mosturoglu.

"I think Mr. Blatter is giving a message to his own public. It's very wrong."

The Swiss players left the pitch in Istanbul under a hail of objects thrown by the Turkish crowd and defender Stephane Grichting was taken to hospital with a groin injury following trouble in the tunnel.

"Grichting received some blows. He was covered in blood. He went to hospital, shocked," said Swiss midfielder Johann Lonfat.

"We were attacked. It was unbelievable. And I'm not talking about the pressure we sustained during the stay.

"We expected an electric atmosphere, an overheated atmosphere, but not that. This went beyond the limits of intimidation. I was told: 'We're going to slit your throat.'"

Swiss team spokesman Pierre Benoit confirmed Grichting had been to hospital but that he was now back with the squad.

"He has had to have a catheter put in and he will need seven to 10 days to recover," added Benoit.

Swiss coach Kobi Kuhn was stunned by the events in the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium.

"This is absolutely scandalous," he said.

"The Turkish police didn't think for a second about beating up people from Turkish television to stop them filming and that says it all about the atmosphere surrounding the end of the match."

The Swiss bus was pelted with eggs when they flew in on Monday and the Swiss national anthem was whistled during Wednesday's pre-match ceremony - as the Turkish anthem had been in Bern.

The Swiss team left Turkey from Ataturk Airport on Thursday under heavy police protection.

But the trouble in Istanbul will have taken the shine off their qualification for next year's World Cup finals in Germany.

Kuhn's team lost 4-2 to Turkey after a 2-0 victory in the first leg but won the tie on the away goals rule.

Tuncay Sanli scored a hat-trick for the Turks, who finished third in the 2002 World Cup, but Marco Streller's 84th-minute goal put the Swiss through.

The match ended with tempers fraying and television footage showed Benjamin Huggel kicking a member of the Turkish coaching staff as he ran off the pitch.

A few of our players overreacted after the match but I am happy there were no serious incidents

Turkey striker Halil Altintop

The Turkish media blamed Huggel's kick for sparking the trouble.

And Turkey striker Halil Altintop, with German team Kaiserslautern, played down the clashes.

"A few of our players overreacted after the match but I am happy there were no serious incidents," he said.

"I was in the Swiss locker room and talked to the players I knew from the Bundesliga. They said everything was fine."

Former Aston Villa defender Alpay then aimed a kick at Streller as the goalscorer went down the tunnel towards the dressing rooms. That is when the major trouble erupted.

England and Turkey fined

Alpay also clashed with England captain David Beckham in October 2003 following a controversial Euro 2004 qualifier in Istanbul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah like f*ck he'll do anything :rolleyes:

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Simster said:
I'm sure they'll get banned if and when Turkish fans are directly responsible for 50+ deaths inside a football stadium as opposed to the occasional knifing and occurrences of throwing objects from the stadium.

Turkish football fans are indeed an absolute disgrace and it is high time they were punished, but lets not compare their antics to those of 1980s English hoolie wankers who ruined watching the national game for a generation.

You make an excellent point.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
WO / Simster - you clearly haven't been to Turkey to watch a match. I grew up with the 80's stuff and it is only by luck that something like Hysel hasn't happened. They Intimidate opposition, make it unpleasant (to say the least) to go as a fan, hurl objects around the stadiums, and start fires (at the 2 games I have been to in Istambul), and generally if you get unlucky, a good shoeing if not worse if they get to you before or after the game.

They should be barred from the next Euros and world cup. It is meant to be a deterrant, and if we are not trying to stop the 'odd death' WTF are we doing. Ask Mr Blobby about 1993 and then you may assume things have certainly not improved.

Ask yourselves this, if England fans had done this and had the history the Turks have had, what would happen.

Last edited:

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
StaffsGull said:
WO / Simster - you clearly haven't been to Turkey to watch a match. I grew up with the 80's stuff and it is only by luck that something like Hysel hasn't happened. They Intimidate opposition, make it unpleasant (to say the least) to go as a fan, hurl objects around the stadiums, and start fires (at the 2 games I have been to in Istambul), and generally if you get unlucky, a good shoeing if not worse if they get to you before or after the game.

They should be barred from the next Euros and world cup. It is meant to be a deterrant, and if we are not trying to stop the 'odd death' WTF are we doing. Ask Mr Blobby about 1993 and then you may assume things have certainly not improved.

Ask yourselves this, if England fans had done this and had the history the Turks have had, what would happen.

We have lots of 'previous'. I dont see Turkish fans running riot and destroying french villages.

Turkish fans are scum and their team is scum too. But we have plenty of our own too.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
another reason why Turkey should not be allowed membership to the european union. IMO they are an entire nation of animals who have no right to co-exist with other civilised human beings.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Simster said:

:clap:

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
A touch harsh Digweed, a lot of Turks I met were really nice, genuine people, the trouble is that (as with England esp. a few years back) national pride is mixed up with strong religious undertones, and a feeling of icsolation in Europe. The team should be banned as with the English clubs in Europe (as the final straw took place in European competition). It did help keep the trouble down, and made us look inward for a while. We still have problems, but IMO not as bad as the Turks, Dutch, Spanish and Italians. A line in the sand needs to be drawn now, or we will end up having to be re-active to deaths again, rather than pro-active to stop them.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Digweed said:
another reason why Turkey should not be allowed membership to the european union.

Thats a bit harsh, he may be a crap moderator and a babbling halfwit but wheres he going to live if we expell him?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
WATFORD O said:
We have lots of 'previous'. I dont see Turkish fans running riot and destroying french villages.

Turkish fans are scum and their team is scum too. But we have plenty of our own too.

The local Turkish "fans" during the Euros in Holland/Belgium where a disgrace. They caused much more trouble than England but as the Major of Brussels was up for re-election just after the Euros he refused to crack down on them, and had the England fans take the blame. Completely different to the Major of Charleroi who praised the England fans behaviour under severe provocation!

Were any Swiss fans allowed to last nights match? I have yet to see any of the football from last night!

Anyway yes England do still have a problem, but things are being done about it, the Turks apear to be doing FA about anything.
I am glad Blatter was at last nights game, perhaps he will now realise exactly what people have been complaining about all these years.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Simster said:

Have I understood this right?

You're saying that occasionaly knifing people and throwing parts of the stadium at opposing fans and players is o.k and that F.I.F.A should wait until the Turks can be held responsible for the deaths of 50plus people before banning them?

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
garry nelsons left foot said:

You're saying that occasionaly knifing people and throwing parts of the stadium at opposing fans and players is o.k and that F.I.F.A should wait until the Turks can be held responsible for the deaths of 50plus people before banning them?

He probably didn't mean it that way but good point anyhow.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
garry nelsons left foot said:

You're saying that occasionaly knifing people and throwing parts of the stadium at opposing fans and players is o.k
No, it appears you haven't, mate:
Me said:
"Turkish football fans are indeed an absolute disgrace and it is high time they were punished"
I don't object to people stating that the Turks should be punished. I also agree that there are some very unpleasant people in Turkish football who deserve punishing.

I just get annoyed with the mentality on here that seems to be "FIFA/UEFA have one rule for the English, one for everyone else", because it's utter bullshit. You cannot excuse the Turkish behaviour because it has been appalling - but it still isn't a patch on the English track record. Throughout the '80s, wherever English clubs or the national team played, utter carnage followed. Always, and irrespective of the opposition. Luxembourg, Belgium, Switzerland, Spain (fights at the World Cup matches FFS) - all fair game for being senselessly f***ing TRASHED. And I'm not talking about the few plastic chairs being turned over that we've seen in isolated incidents in the past couple of tournaments.

The other issue is that I think banning an international side from international competition is a lot trickier than for club sides. And clearly UEFA thought that too - because the England national team continued throughout the hooligan era.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here