Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ticket exchange - a thing of the PAST ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a MILDLY interesting chat with an Arsenal STH the other day.

All Arsenal season tickets consist of a small credit-card type thing in a posh little wallet, with a barcode that gets scanned at the turnstile when you enter the Emirates (works well, as I borrowed this season ticket from him a couple of months ago for the West Sham game). Anyway, when you pay to renew your season ticket, they simply "activate" the season ticket card for you - the price of the season ticket includes up to 8 cup games (FA Cup or Champions League, but not League Cup for some reason). If MORE than 8 home FA Cup or CL games are played during the season, then the cost of those additional game(s) gets added to the following years season ticket price. You can't "opt out" of any games - by paying up-front for all the League and Cup games, your attendence is assumed by the club, no refunds.

Here's the thing though. If he can't make any particular game, then obviously he will ONLY lend his season ticket card to friends and family (ie someone he can trust) so he knows that he will get his season ticket card back afterwards. Therefore his season ticket circulates exclusively amongst friends and family, and the days of simply tearing out a paper ticket from your season ticket wallet and putting it on a ticket exchange or selling it on to any T, D or H is no longer an option.

Worth bearing in mind if this ticket technology is introduced at Falmer. I can see there is already a clamour for Stockport tickets, but they wouldn't be changing hands if we had Arsenals scheme in place right now...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have an Arsenal mate who lends his card out.

I also know someone who borrowed a friend's Chelsea season ticket, was subsequently asked for ID at the turnstile and then had the ticket confiscated and his friend BANNED for touting tickets...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I also know someone who borrowed a friend's Chelsea season ticket, was subsequently asked for ID at the turnstile and then had the ticket confiscated and his friend BANNED for touting tickets...

Arsenal don't seem to be too bothered about ID'ing fans to their season tickets, nobody seemed to be checking when I went, and this guy regularly circulates his ticket amongst family, workmates etc, never had any probs (or none that he's mentioned).

Nothing surprises me with Chelsea though, bunch of nazis.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can see the STH Gold Member Card being beefed up in this way, it's already got seat details on the front and an encoded strip (currently unused?) on the back. But there will always be people who buy individual Albion tickets and indeed tickets to gigs who can't make it for one reason or another, so the Ticket Exchange will still be useful for that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can see the STH Gold Member Card being beefed up in this way, it's already got seat details on the front and an encoded strip (currently unused?) on the back. But there will always be people who buy individual Albion tickets and indeed tickets to gigs who can't make it for one reason or another, so the Ticket Exchange will still be useful for that.

Sure, tickets bought individually won't be a problem. But unlike season tickets, if you're buying a ticket for one specific game, its not going to be months and months in advance, so it'll be much more unlikely to turn out that you can't make it.

People buying season tickets will have to be aware that for games they can't make, they'll need a trusted source to give/sell their card to for that game.

Similar system at Liverpool. Went at xmas with a friend, who had borrowed a season ticket card from a relative. The guy he normally sits next to was taking friends so bought tickets seperately, and let us use his card and give it back to him at half-time during the game. Makes the whole thing rather difficult though!

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
I use my friends spare season ticket from time to time at emirates; you don't need ID ever. Although I think he's said that you did for Highbury. Personally I prefer tickets as I often give them away when I can't make a game

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How do these bar code cards differentiate between ages. What is to stop a 25 year old applying for STH in in his young brother who ios under 16 name and using the ticket himself for every game. Or any of my sons, who are all between 34 and 44 getting a season ticket issued in my wifes name, who is a pensioner.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How do these bar code cards differentiate between ages. What is to stop a 25 year old applying for STH in in his young brother who ios under 16 name and using the ticket himself for every game. Or any of my sons, who are all between 34 and 44 getting a season ticket issued in my wifes name, who is a pensioner.

I think at West Ham a light goes on above the turnstile when a child ticket is used to alert a steward who can see if they are a child or not

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
There will be a very similar system operating at Falmer and practised at Withdean over the next couple of years.

The ticket identifies concessions by a light system which will be monitored by stewards. For instance, a junior concession will show an orange light so someone who looks over 16 might be challenged.

A way round this is to supply the borrower with a utility bill for ID, and advise them not to take any card upon which their name is embossed. I wouldn't have a problem with this morally as the club is imposing an unfair restraint on your right to sell what's yours.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Worth bearing in mind if this ticket technology is introduced at Falmer. I can see there is already a clamour for Stockport tickets, but they wouldn't be changing hands if we had Arsenals scheme in place right now...

Actually wouldn't matter for that particular game though, would it, as there wouldn't be any other tickets left on it!

I guess if they then reactivate the card, you'd have to say you lost it on your summer holiday, though....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Actually wouldn't matter for that particular game though, would it, as there wouldn't be any other tickets left on it!

I guess if they then reactivate the card, you'd have to say you lost it on your summer holiday, though....

True, as its the last game it perhaps wouldn't matter as much, although it seems the idea is that you keep your card and have it reactivated for the new season, so as you say, you'd have to report it lost or stolen after the final game.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
They'll be scanning our retinas or barcoding our buttocks before long. Or we might teleport into grounds like in 'The Fly'. And we'll have to lend out our teleport machines, or something.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

The same as on the London Underground... where, must to my sons amusement, it says 'Take Ticket Child' and beeps when he goes through the barrier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here