Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Teachers Strike On Thursday

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I know teachers do a great job across our county, but what the hell is this strike about?

They say they are not getting paid enough and want an increase of 3.8% instead of 2.4% suggested.

So the plan to make a point is to strike 4 days after a 2 week holiday, and 5 weeks before the next 6 week holiday

I dont know what the average teacher wage is, but it must be over £20,000 a year for the teachers just starting out.

They only work 40 weeks of the year, so the lowest qualified teachers are still on £500 a week and yet they want more money and benefits to go on top of their 54+ holiday days a year.

This was done already in a previous thread. But in fairness, would you be happy with the promise of 3 years pay rises below inflation?

I'm trying to ignore all the 'they get these holidays' type arguments, because we all have a different opinion on whether they are worth it (my girlfriend is a teacher and she works absolutely ridiculous hours, so I think the holidays are well deserved), but the reason that they are striking is because they are being told that there is no prospect of an above-inflation rise in the next three years (at least for those teachers that are already at the top of their 'band').

Gazwag, surely the whole point of a strike is it has to be disruptive? If they went on strike the first week of the first term of the year, where would the incentive be for anyone to listen to them?

I'm not saying that I agree with the strike, but there's no (or even less) point doing one if it doesn't make people listen.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Gazwag, surely the whole point of a strike is it has to be disruptive? If they went on strike the first week of the first term of the year, where would the incentive be for anyone to listen to them?

I'm not saying that I agree with the strike, but there's no (or even less) point doing one if it doesn't make people listen.

It's hardly fair for them to be selectively disruptive though, striking now in the run up to important exams "could" effect a childs whole working life, for those who are not about to take exams it doesnt really matter.

It's hardly fair for them to be selectively disruptive though, striking now in the run up to important exams "could" effect a childs whole working life, for those who are not about to take exams it doesnt really matter.

But it's impossible not to be selectively disruptive, unless all students are taking exams every year!

GCSE's mean nothing anyway so there'll be no harm done

:)

Err, I don't know what gave you that impression. Beyond A-levels, quite a few organisations look at GCSE results as an indicator of latent ability.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This was done already in a previous thread. But in fairness, would you be happy with the promise of 3 years pay rises below inflation?

I'm trying to ignore all the 'they get these holidays' type arguments, because we all have a different opinion on whether they are worth it (my girlfriend is a teacher and she works absolutely ridiculous hours, so I think the holidays are well deserved), but the reason that they are striking is because
least for those teachers that are already at the top of their 'band').

"they are being told that there is no prospect of an above-inflation rise in the next three years"

f*** me thats half the country's work force then :shrug:

"they are being told that there is no prospect of an above-inflation rise in the next three years"

f*** me thats half the country's work force then :shrug:

Well,

If you don't like do something about it?

Otherwise don't bitch about someone doing something about trying to get a better pay deal.

We undervalue our Teachers in this society, even though after parents, they are our society's most important asset.

No, the Teachers shouldn't strike but give Teachers a decent salary, that will attract the best of our society into Teaching.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well,

If you don't like do something about it?

Otherwise don't bitch about someone doing something about trying to get a better pay deal.

We undervalue our Teachers in this society, even though after parents, they are our society's most important asset.

No, the Teachers shouldn't strike but give Teachers a decent salary, that will attract the best of our society into Teaching.

No it would attract mercaneries like any other top end earning job!!!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
most of the parents whining about their poor kids education sufferring are more worried about having to miss a days work or having to pay child care .... but probably the same sort of people who don't bat an eyelid when they insist on taking their kids on holiday during term time to save a few quid!

Good luck to the Teachers I say!!:clap:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I know teachers do a great job across our county, but what the hell is this strike about?

They say they are not getting paid enough and want an increase of 3.8% instead of 2.4% suggested.

So the plan to make a point is to strike 4 days after a 2 week holiday, and 5 weeks before the next 6 week holiday

I dont know what the average teacher wage is, but it must be over £20,000 a year for the teachers just starting out.

They only work 40 weeks of the year, so the lowest qualified teachers are still on £500 a week and yet they want more money and benefits to go on top of their 54+ holiday days a year.

You dont know what you are talking about. My girlfriend is a teacher and she is currently working about 12 hours a day. Please remember that when teachers get home, they still need to mark books, write reoprts, and do lesson plans. On top of this they also need to teach kids, and also deal with kids problems.

If you think its so easy why don't you become a teacher. Then move up to Luton, and teach secondrary kids of all races. How would you deal with a class of 35 all out of control. How long would it take before you crack up and walk out?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
makes me laugh!

you look at the Falmer high school site and right at the top in bright red it says " NUT STRIKE ACTION....Falmer closed on for years 7,8 and 10 on Thurs April 24th"

and right under that:

every child matters! LOL!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You dont know what you are talking about. My girlfriend is a teacher and she is currently working about 12 hours a day. Please remember that when teachers get home, they still need to mark books, write reoprts, and do lesson plans. On top of this they also need to teach kids, and also deal with kids problems.

If you think its so easy why don't you become a teacher. Then move up to Luton, and teach secondrary kids of all races. How would you deal with a class of 35 all out of control. How long would it take before you crack up and walk out?

My ex was a teacher and inthe 6 years I was with her she worked her tits off and throughly deserved the holiday and pay. The people who don't understand what teachers do for their children are the same sort of morons who stroll into school and try to argue with teachers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here