Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun today!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
20-1 with VC and behind about 15 others in the market.
I think he'd go there but I don't think they'll offer it to him.
I hope not anyway.
Is the Villa board the same as when we played them in the cup?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
on a completely unrelated sun note, what delightful world exclusive front page are they running about kate mccann today, and will it be as earth shattering as the news that she struggled to make love to gerry that demanded note only tuesdays page one, but also coverage on 4 and 5?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
on a completely unrelated sun note, what delightful world exclusive front page are they running about kate mccann today, and will it be as earth shattering as the news that she struggled to make love to gerry that demanded note only tuesdays page one, but also coverage on 4 and 5?

The online headline is 'Open up the Maddie Files' - at first I thought that was a play on paedophiles and opening them up, but perhaps not.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bit worried by this one... however, I would be surprised if Villa made him an offer... yes, he is brilliant, but he hasn't managed in the Championship yet... I'm sure they would want to see how he got on next season...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"On the list" - what list? The list some journos have cobbled together on a slow news day, most likely..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Villa did want him I am 100% certain in my own mind that he'd go. Risky for them though and I hope they decide on someone with more experience.

Didn't John Gregory get a job there from a much more lowly league club?

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Villa, big club, yes. But where have people got the idea that Villa have cash to spend?

Martin O'Neill quits as Aston Villa manager after transfer funds row | Football | The Guardian

This was only a year ago, I don't recall hearing of any investors for Villa.

So, why go to Villa, a club that (probably) won't match his ambition. If that can't match O'neill's, surely they won't match Gus'.
Because they then went out and spent £20m on Darren Bent, and bought a couple of others too.

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think he wouldn't go to Villa if they offered it to him. They're exactly the kind of club I do see him leaving us for, just hope it's not for a few years.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If I was Randy Lerner, right now I'd be far more inclined to try and get Paul Lambert....who has done a brilliant job at Norwich and surely must be more desirable than Gus to Villa

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If I was Randy Lerner, right now I'd be far more inclined to try and get Paul Lambert....who has done a brilliant job at Norwich and surely must be more desirable than Gus to Villa

Fair point, but even he has no Prem experience... I think / hope they will opt for someone who has managed at the highest level, here or abroad...

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
No way! Still to early for Gus to be going to a big club like Villa. If he has another great season with us then Premier clubs will start considering him. In meantime must be best for him to stick with us.................surely??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seems logical to me that if a board member 'told' The Sun of the FA intention it virtually stopped the FA from carrying out that threat as it would have appearred that the leak was correct and they would have looked even sillier than they nornally do.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You think so? I think the Sun operate on a combination of guesswork and speculation with only the odd real scoop thrown in. Sometimes they guess right, sometimes they don't.

And what vast experience in the field leads you to that conclusion? Or are you 'guessing and speculating'?

Of course they will get the odd one 'wrong', and even some of them weren't wrong when they were written, things can change in a short space of time.

The attitude I can't stand is this sheer snobbery over people's choice of reading material. Not everyone wants to read about the political situation in Nepal over breakfast. And broadsheets don't break football stories, not real ones, for 95 per cent of the time. They are, though, better on longer investigations and have more room for decent features.

Seeing some pompous, Independent-reading, ageing student-type, point-scoring twats come on here and lecture others about what they should and shouldn't be reading is arguably the single most dull feature of NSC. What happened to 'Live and let live'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here