Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun today!

I like the comment.

"If Houllier quits we need a British manager. These continentals have strange ideas about team selection and staff recruitment and it's backfired this season".

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I for one am delighted that Gus is on the list of managers to replace Houllier.

And I am especially delighted that he is towards the back of that list.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that Villa are the type of team and set up that Gus could go for eventually but the timing is wrong, in 2 years perhaps. They have ambition, finance, the entire set up is geared for success they just need the right manager to put it all together. I would have more concern about them than a top 4 Prem side but as I said the timing for an approach is wrong in my view.

We shall just have to accept that his name is going to be mentioned at virtually every job that comes upion the next 12 months or so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its not even a story! its a speculative 18 word comment.

people can scoff at the Sun all they like but they do get a lot of football stories right.

These rags make a lot of things up just to fill space.
Being newspapers, they have to be a little ahead of the stories that COULD happen, and it behooves them to look at possibilities and throw them out there so they can claim "you saw it first in The Sun".
For every hundred rumours, they only need one of those maybes to turn up trumps and they can tell everyone they are the scoop that got the poop (or vice versa)

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
One problem, Gus said it would have to be 'special' for him to leave...

Is that a joke? Are one of the top 7 sides in English football over the last 20 years with a multi million pound budget not 'special' to a manager? If they came calling anyone thinking Gus would stay is clearly insane.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Gus should ever leave, the likelihood is you will hear about it first in either The Sun, another red-top, possibly the Mail - and almost certainly not the Argus because it will probably come 'from the other side', a leak from an agent, a director at the other club, etc.

I find the rather juvenile snobbery aimed at The Sun pathetic. It is about the only national paper these days (if you bother to read the Monday pullout) that covers the Football League properly.

On this particular story, if you ignore the 'headline' (always a good idea) all it is effectively saying, if you read between the lines, is that someone at Villa rates Poyet highly. That is all. So do we. So do most people in football. It doesn't mean he's going, there may be other insiders at Villa who don't rate him so highly. I am constantly suprised that he isn't on every shortlist going.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yesterday it was West Ham, today it's Aston Villa...................editors need stories to sell newspapers so this going to happen all through the summer. The flip side to having a successful manager and attractive team is that we are going to get this stuff on a daily basis. Have a laugh and move on.

With so many positives about the club at the moment it does not make much sense that anyone would want to leave. We will have as a good a chance in the Championship as anyone else and maybe better than most. It would take something really special such as a big money Premiership deal to lure anyone away, in which case I am not sure we can compete anyway. Can't see Tony Bloom flinching first in any negotations and think this why they are currently playing hardball with Muzza. However ultimately everyone has their price and if TB can get an over inflated transfer fee for someone that is unproven at a higher level and prepared to jump ship then I guess even he would not stand in their way. I feel more concerned about agents turning our manager or players heads rather than believe tittle tattle in the tabloid media.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This .

West Ham or Villa are not exactly 'something very special' are they?!!

Depends what you mean by special?
West Ham I agree dross, but Villa have won everything possible for a club team, a decent stadium, good support, rich American backers.

This .

West Ham or Villa are not exactly 'something very special' are they?!!

That depends on whether GP would want to take a fast-track surety into the Prem, taking on the challenges offered by competing with the top echelon - or if he's quite comfortable working on the foundations built at The Albion and faith in his own ability to take this club there himself.
If he's well advised, imho he should stay with the latter option, realize he's got some way to go with this club, and see that as the real challenge rather than possibly blot his copybook on high expectations at a club that prove to be a mistake. Houllier is no mug of a manager, and although it's great to imagine you can do better - there might well be reasons that he still struggled to achieve much there.

Nope - whatever goes through the mind when a temptation like that comes along, the indications are that he's got an exciting time ahead of him that he has earned with us, to take up a tasty gauntlet with BHAFC next season - yes, in the Championship Gustavo.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I don't really understand these people who are saying that "Villa are not special" They have the potential to be able to get regular European football, a chairman that has the money to back the manager. I would imagine Gus with money and his drive, would be a huge hit at Villa park.

Obviously I wouldn't want to see him leave us for years, but the realist in me, knows that one day that 'special club' will rear it's ugly head and we will loose the best manger we have had for many years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here