Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun-Brighton do not have the cash to begin building work.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not at all it seems spot on to me. Thank you my sun: first bit of accurate reporting since it started.

careful_now.jpg

The complete text of the Sun's story is:-

BRIGHTON have been forced to delay their move to a new £60million stadium until 2011.

The Seagulls hoped to play at Falmer by the start of the 2010-11 season but do not have the cash to begin building work.

How they distilled that from a Club press release that announced the appointment of contractors and the fact that work will start in December 2008 is a bit of a mystery.

But then again, they describe Joe Kinnear's outburst as "an F-Word Rant", when we all know that it was a C-Word Admonishment.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The complete text of the Sun's story is:-

BRIGHTON have been forced to delay their move to a new £60million stadium until 2011.

The Seagulls hoped to play at Falmer by the start of the 2010-11 season but do not have the cash to begin building work.

How they distilled that from a Club press release that announced the appointment of contractors and the fact that work will start in December 2008 is a bit of a mystery.

But then again, they describe Joe Kinnear's outburst as "an F-Word Rant", when we all know that it was a C-Word Admonishment.

Maybe they've got sources who know something the club haven't told us. It wouldn't surprise me given how this delay has suddenly materialised when everything was fine and the Argus were being accused of scaremongering a couple of weeks ago.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Better get the buckets out for Saturday and start collecting for Falmer

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Maybe they've got sources who know something the club haven't told us. It wouldn't surprise me given how this delay has suddenly materialised when everything was fine and the Argus were being accused of scaremongering a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe the Sun has put two and two together and made 5...wouldn't be the first time.

And I think it was facts about the stadium design that the Argus got wrong for the 'scare-mongering', not the funding.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

EXACTLY!

The club were very quick to say the story reported by the Argus had been in the public domain for months. So why now are they using these reasons as an excuse to put the kick off date by a whole year?

As I said yesterday, we will have at least 3 or 4 more press releases like the one we had yesterday.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Makes good press in 3 lines, but unless the board or club state that they cannot afford it, then I will trust them. FFS why would they lie?

1) Keep the supporters happy? No, when lies are found out, and if they are lies they will be found out sooner rather than later, it will eventually make them hated. No gain there then .....

2) Lies will help them sell the club. No, due dilligence would screw that one up.

3) I actually can't think of another reason for lies, but maybe somebody could enlighten me...

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Maybe the Sun has put two and two together and made 5...wouldn't be the first time.

And I think it was facts about the stadium design that the Argus got wrong for the 'scare-mongering', not the funding.

You're correct about the Argus, I'm just saying the club have moved quickly from having a go at them and saying everything's fine and on track to suddenly using them to spin the delay into apparently wonderful news.

Of course the Sun have probably done as you say, but you never know. After all it is part of a journalist's job to know people who will tell you things not necessarily in the public domain.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
EXACTLY!

The club were very quick to say the story reported by the Argus had been in the public domain for months. So why now are they using these reasons as an excuse to put the kick off date by a whole year?

As I said yesterday, we will have at least 3 or 4 more press releases like the one we had yesterday.

Youre the sort of bloke that tells toddlers that Father Christmas doesnt exist!

Wasn't the Argus accused of scare mongering over their revelation that the ground would be 50% bigger?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
You're correct about the Argus, I'm just saying the club have moved quickly from having a go at them and saying everything's fine and on track to suddenly using them to spin the delay into apparently wonderful news.

Of course the Sun have probably done as you say, but you never know. After all it is part of a journalist's job to know people who will tell you things not necessarily in the public domain.

Who knows, eh?

However I don't think the club has 'used' the Argus. The press release did, naturally, paint a positive picture but the Argus could have questioned that with their own negative assessment of it. They didn't, which I find mildly surprising!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Who knows, eh?

However I don't think the club has 'used' the Argus. The press release did, naturally, paint a positive picture but the Argus could have questioned that with their own negative assessment of it. They didn't, which I find mildly surprising!

Yes a good point there, I'm not sure I would have reported it in the same way that the release did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here