The Stranglers

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Golden Brown is good but too tame for me,

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I love the in your face agrressive tracks with the thundering bassline of JJ and the keyboard wizardry of DG who is the greatest keyboard player the UK has ever producd imho.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Uncle Spielberg said:
I love the in your face agrressive tracks with the thundering bassline of JJ and the keyboard wizardry of DG who is the greatest keyboard player the UK has ever producd imho.

I've just realised that my top 3 bands of all time have probably some of the best bass players ever

Iron Maiden - Steve Harris
The Stranglers - JJ Burnell
Level 42 - Mark King

:bowdown:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Uncle Spielberg said:

Surprised you haven't mentioned Straighten Out - easily their best.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Trufflehound said:
Steve Harris bought me a pint once.

Top bloke Steve and a mad keen Hammers fan. He also played for their youth team.

I had the good fortune to fly with Bruce Dickinson to a gig in Dublin back in 2003. Aside from meeting Bruce, Nicko and Steve i did my very best to persuade their manager Rod Smallwood to invest in the Albion because he lives on Hove seafront ( a neighbour of Fat Boy Slim Norm i believe). I even said they could call the new ground the 'Sanctuary' after the company. Unfortunately, he was having none of it as he is a gruff Yorkie who loves Rugby but is not interested in footie.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Uncle Spielberg said:

I have to say i love the Stranglers and it was mainly down to the keyboard work which gave them that slightly different sound.

I can think of only one other band who had a keyboardist who helped define a bands sound in england at that was Barso from Madness, because without him they didn't have the Madness sound.

Another good UK keyboardist but one that rarely gets mentioned is Manfred Mann.

And possuibly Jerry Dammers of The Specials.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
DG's keyboard wizardry on the end of Down in the Sewer has to be heard to be believed it is quite simply magnificent and the best 1 minute or so keyboard playing OF ALL TIME.

Sex Pistols were good in their way but The Stranglers wiped the floor with them when it came to musicianship imho.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
The best band of all time FACT. Anyone heard The Rat's Lair , their latest album ???

The latest album is 'Suite 16' released about a month ago, before that were 'Norfolk Coast' & 'Coast to Coast'. All Good stuff.

Went to see them in Septembber, along with Phil Jupitus (Yes, really!!) & The Blockheads.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Trufflehound said:
The AC/DC thing was hilarious. It was only the outward speakers that went, and they didn't notice and kept playing for the first five minutes (their stage speakers were working).

Enjoyed Nils Lofgren's stage somersaults.

I saw gig that anyone go to the teenbeats afterwards?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Uncle Spielberg said:
DG's keyboard wizardry on the end of Down in the Sewer has to be heard to be believed it is quite simply magnificent and the best 1 minute or so keyboard playing OF ALL TIME.

Saw them play that on Hastings Pier 1977..brilliant

D

Deleted member 2719

Lived so close to where they used to record and never ever saw them play live.

But loved there music especially prior to Golden Brown.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Uncle Spielberg said:
Peasant in the big shitty :bowdown:
Toiler in the sea :bowdown:
Down in the Sewer :bowdown:
No more heroes :bowdown:
Grip :bowdown:
Walk on By :bowdown:

Grip it has to be.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

So many fantastic and wildly musically different tunes tho'.

Wos at Battersea (freebie I seem to recall) in Sept '78 (they were banned from playing indoors by GLC) - Gabriel on same bill - + on many other occassions. Last was Lee Town Hall 7 yrs ago, but no Hugh.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Auditor said:

Saw them play that on Hastings Pier 1977..brilliant

Saw them play in Crawley Leisure Centre round about the same time. Wild night - and a very dodgy place to be if you were a punk. The natives were revolting. Still are, in fact.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tank

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here