Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stone Roses

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Shame they couldn't play live (which makes you wonder how much of that album's greatness is down to the production).

Their Reading Festival set was the worst gig of all time. People were literally in tears it was that bad. Brown couldn't sing, the band couldn't play, there was just this horrible noise. You couldn't even recognise most of the songs.

And that is the gig they are defined by? When they were falling apart?

To suggest that Reni Mani and John can't play is madness. Watch live at blackpool or go and see them they are awesome in the literal sense of the word. And all despite having a singer who can't sing.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Shame they couldn't play live (which makes you wonder how much of that album's greatness is down to the production).

Their Reading Festival set was the worst gig of all time. People were literally in tears it was that bad. Brown couldn't sing, the band couldn't play, there was just this horrible noise. You couldn't even recognise most of the songs.

Magnificent!!!!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
That first album is still the only album I listen to consistently as it is a work of genuis...Also it seems to have healing powers as I often put it on as it has the ability to shift any hangover I have.

I cannot believe that this time next week I will be getting ready to leave for Manchester where we are staying over on the Saturday night ahead of the gig on the Sunday...It is going to be immense!

Albion, England & Stone Roses forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Love it. I was thinking the other day driving home listening to it how it must be the best album ever. There isn't a single weak song on the whole album. I didn't get tickets for Manchester because I was convinced they would add some London dates but sadly hasn't happened.

That said last time I saw them live the vocals were so weak it dented the legendary album slightly so maybe for the best.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Im off to Manchester too, can't wait :)

And for those talking about the disastrous Reading gig in 96 - you have to remember that there was only Ian and Mani left by that point so wasn't even what I would class as the roses (Maddix on drums and aziz on guitar)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I love the Album, but how anyone can honestly listen to that and say it is anything other than crap, astounds me...f***ing awful.

That's why I wasn't overly gutted about missing the gigs. Browns vocals have always been shite. Shame because the rest of the band have always been amazing.

I saw brown do a solo gig a few years back and it was embarrassing how bad he was.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have listened to the first Album regularly for over 20 years and it still astounds me. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the best Album ever made. I named my two cats Mani and Reni

It is often the only thing that will soothe and calm my Aspergers son. It never stops giving me pleasure and joy.

Thanks Ian, John, Mani and Reni. PLease tour down under in the near future.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, one of the finest albums ever.

TNBA

TTF

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I love the Album, but how anyone can honestly listen to that and say it is anything other than crap, astounds me...f***ing awful.

100% agree. Beautiful 1st album. Shit live unfortunately. If you want to see a live band at the top of thier powers - watch Stop Making Sense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
100% agree. Beautiful 1st album. Shit live unfortunately. If you want to see a live band at the top of thier powers - watch Stop Making Sense.

Very much this. And I love the version of Heaven on Stop Making Sense.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Recorded in Barcelona, they sound a lot better.

[yt]8q-XbjWSifg[/yt]

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Must be an age thing, i love all types of mujsic and i say the Album is ok, there are plenty better, but its all about opinions, just like football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here