Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Standard

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Just read this article

Zero Tolerance

Have'nt been in there on a night out for ages but these new legislations are gonna cost them a few quid.

A don't think it's the worst place for violence in Little Beirut (west Street) by a long way though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
has been and obviously still is a shithole,
my time was in the 60's,70's,80's and whenever we passed there some prat was getting his head knocked about.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What did that place used to be called? I spent some great times in there around 1970.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
"Chief Inspector Lawrence Hobbs said: "I am convinced that there is a link between poorly run licensed premises and public violent crime. "

I think that translates as shitholes attract scum. Bit of a no-brainer really.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dougdeep said:
What did that place used to be called? I spent some great times in there around 1970.

It was Swifts before the Standard but can't help you before that.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
dougdeep said:

In the 80s and early 90s it was called Swifts. And they had the mongolian barbeque there and the Underground club (or something downstairs).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Standard is a dive, they don't seem to consider it a proper weekend unless they've had at least 6 fights.

Granted, other places in West Street can be as bad, but hey, work on them one by one...

Incidentally, does anyone on here go to the Event (or at least are you prepared to admit to that publicly)?

Out of curiosity, where are you going to go when it closes in March?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
edna krabappel said:
The Standard is a dive, they don't seem to consider it a proper weekend unless they've had at least 6 fights.

Granted, other places in West Street can be as bad, but hey, work on them one by one...

Incidentally, does anyone on here go to the Event (or at least are you prepared to admit to that publicly)?

Out of curiosity, where are you going to go when it closes in March?

Why is the Event closing?

And NO I don't go there.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Event is closing in March while it is refurbished, I think it's due to reopen around September
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Happ, happy days, six whole months!

They are having *woooooohhh* a multi million pound refit, with the aim of ultimately attracting a "more mature" clientele (21+)
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I believe the old Oriana's club is included in this too.

They can spend all the cash they want, but at the end of the day, I still can't see them attracting anyone over the age of 19. It'll still be the Event, FFS.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I might actually be tempted to go in there purely because of the refit.

What am I saying. Its the Event for f%cks sake!:angry: :angry:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Fucks sake.

The Standard was actually decent. One of the only places you could get into after midnight wearing whatever you wanted and the drinks prices and queues were reasonable.

GRRRRR.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
thats interesting edna,

Event II is owned by leisure company 'Luminar' who want to turn all their clubs into a number of brands, believe these are Oceanas [very nice clubs, there is one in Kingston Upon Thames, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds & Milton Keynes], could very well be this.

Lush is owned by Luminar too and also shut until April, though i dont think it should re-open, i think this might get re-branded to a Lava & Ignite or something... you heard it here first

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
infact the over 21's [on a Saturday] thing, is very Oceana style, interesting ill have a word with my contacts and see whats happening ;)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Creation is now owned by the same company as the Event, so expect that to be tarted up at some point, maybe renamed.

Personally, i think they should revert to its traditional name of the Pink Coconut

:lolol:

I'm still wondering where the usual Event crowd are going to go while it's closed.

I presume it'll be a mixture of Creation, the Standard, The Beach, and sitting in Queen's Park with a packet of Marlboro Lights and a 2 litre bottle of White Lightning between 6 kids.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Aye, the Creations are staying as they are, i think, so to keep them all 'seperate'

my contacts speaking to Operations south tommorow, so i'll let you know what i get back ;)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All I know is from speaking to the licensing authorities.

Oceana, hmmm, sounds a bit poncey to me, possible brand confusion with the Ocean Rooms too.

I can't recall exactly what the "new" Event's target age range was, might have been 21, might have been older, I just know they're trying to get away from the image of being the club of choice for underage chavs

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here