Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The sportsman - whats your thoughts on this?

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Having only turned 18 for 2 days i looked forward to a couple of pints of the old harveys before the game today over a carvery with 2 close friends..

Upon entering the woman refused to accept my provisional with out really giving me a reason, so i just ordered the carvery.

Feeling hard done by and my friend knowing it, he asked for a complaints form whilst eating our carvery, the lad we asked went and got the woman who served me who happened to be the manager.

She then explained that she wouldn't accept it as I.D because they sell provisionals on the internet that go through the scanners and the police have said not to accept them on match days, even though i got served in the sportsmen the night before and they didn't even ask for ID.

I can understand where the womans coming from and everything, but when you can see on the license i only turned 18 two days ago and that all i wanted was a quiet pint with 2 friends who are older and i have been waiting to drink with for a long time... its fair cop what she saying i spose but i just still feel hard done by because she didn't even say im sorry i cant serve u she was just outright rude and got aggy about it, so my view of the sportsmen has somewhat diminished.

good to see kevin mccleod in the sportsmen having a carvery again this week... i write this as i am bored, to warn people not to take provisionals to the sportsmen and simply for a chat.

ESSAY OVER.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
well i dont need one now, i never thought they worked so didnt bother buying one... and no she didnt even give me one!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's not a fair cop, provisional driving licenses are perfectly valid forms of ID. You can get any sort of fakes off the internet so basically she made a tale up to cover the fact that she didn't know what she was talking about.

Having said that, legally they've done nothing wrong as a pub can refuse to serve (or even admit) anyone without giving a reason. Definitely complain about it though, it's shit service from someone who hasn't been trained properly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
provisionals have always been seen as dodgy ID, you can easily get legit ones while underage if i recall. get a proveIT or what ever card, and also act like you should be there, with out being cocky.

Its funny because you can have a drink with a meal under 18 anyway.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
provisionals have always been seen as dodgy ID, you can easily get legit ones while underage if i recall. get a proveIT or what ever card, and also act like you should be there, with out being cocky.

Its funny because you can have a drink with a meal under 18 anyway.

I don't think you can in a pub; their licenses are very strict and I don't think they allow them to serve under 18s in any circumstances.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would advise going to a pub away from the ground, rightly or wrongly all football fans are tarred with the same brush - get drunk and have a punch up.

Publicans have the right not to serve anybody anyway dont they.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I don't think you can in a pub; their licenses are very strict and I don't think they allow them to serve under 18s in any circumstances.

The law is on this issue that a 16 or 17 year old may have a drink of beer, cider, porter or perry(? not sure about this last one) with a meal when accompanied by a responsible adult. The adult must buy the drink.

Going back to the ID all licensed venues in Brighton and Hove are told by the licensing authority (the council) to only accept photo ID. That in practice means only passports and driving licences are acceptable forms of ID as mentioned previously.

Final point, now you are 18 you can start to find out that nearly all pubs are better than the Sportsman. Enjoy finding somewhere decent to drink.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
beorhthelm;3163929 Its funny because you can have a drink with a meal under 18 anyway.[/QUOTE said:
That is correct in theory you could order a meal witha side salad and drink all evening provided that you still have some salad on your plate but pubs will not advertise that and possibly not allow it.

Does a provisional have a photo on it. Due to the penalties that can be imposed pubs will err on the side of caution.

If you really want to complain, rather pointless in this case I would suggest as the company will back the managers judgement, their address etc can be found on the website which crowncarveries, part of the Mitchell & Butler main website.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The law is on this issue that a 16 or 17 year old may have a drink of beer, cider, porter or perry(? not sure about this last one) with a meal when accompanied by a responsible adult. The adult must buy the drink.

Going back to the ID all licensed venues in Brighton and Hove are told by the licensing authority (the council) to only accept photo ID. That in practice means only passports and driving licences are acceptable forms of ID as mentioned previously.

Final point, now you are 18 you can start to find out that nearly all pubs are better than the Sportsman. Enjoy finding somewhere decent to drink.

I stand corrected on the first point, and I'm also well aware of the third!

I think the second point is what the original poster is referring to though; a provisional driving license is in ID terms no different from a full one - it has a photo and all that - yet the reason given for refusing him service was almost that he hadn't passed his test yet!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Sportsman is quite possibly the shittest pub in Brighton (its certainly got to be in the bottom three). As a pre-match drinking venue it is a complete and utter dead loss.

In future I would suggest going somewhere half decent.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Do they still do those prove it cards? If so you might want to get one of those, saves carrying your passport around.

Her argument is a bit crap though, surely if you can fake a provisional you can fake a full license??

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I've used a provisional for age identification for the past 5/6 years, including in the Sportsman, and have never had problems. Whilst I didn't go in their last night, I did a couple of weeks back. Whilst I'm not saying you have been singled out, as the rules could have changed in the past couple of weeks (which would be suprising), it's just a little, well, odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here