Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sportsman - How NOT to treat your employees

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Sack the lot of the staff and rehire some decent ones.

They are the WORST bar staff it has EVER been my MISFORTUNE to come across.

Slow, ignorant, rude and with no idea of who to serve next. Busy my arse. Try a Friday or Sat nite in nearly any pub in the land.

They are quite frankly an UTTER DISCGRACE.

Could it be something to do with the company and its training because if you go into the Fox & Hounds near Haywards Heath it is exactly the same and the food is now attrocious.

It has gone down hill, in my opinion, since Whitbread sold Brewers Fayres to Mitchell & Butlers.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
BensGrandad said:
Could it be something to do with the company and its training because if you go into the Fox & Hounds near Haywards Heath it is exactly the same and the food is now attrocious.

It has gone down hill, in my opinion, since Whitbread sold Brewers Fayres to Mitchell & Butlers.

Brewers Fayres has always been shit.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Sack the lot of the staff and rehire some decent ones.

They are the WORST bar staff it has EVER been my MISFORTUNE to come across.

Slow, ignorant, rude and with no idea of who to serve next. Busy my arse. Try a Friday or Sat nite in nearly any pub in the land.

They are quite frankly an UTTER DISCGRACE.

I like the bar staff in there. Very friendly and considering the amount of people they get in there they are quite quick serving. If you cant handle waiting 5 minutes to get served then go to the shitty pubs down the road. That way us lot in The Sportsman can get served even quicker.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you go to The Sportsman, you get exactly what you deserve. In a town full of brilliant boozers with quality bar-staff, there's really no excuse whatsoever for giving The Sportsman your custom of a matchday. If you're in the area, go to the Crown & Anchor for the food and the Brewery Tap for the Albion ambience and the organic cider. Or any one of a hundred boozers better than The Sportsman.

Last edited:

house your seagull said:
bar staff work in an industry where, pretty much across the board, the are treated like dirt by the people they provide service for and their employees.

in the, admitedly dire, trade/industry rag 'the morning advertiser' they ran the front page a few weeks ago of the 'outrage' that government have 'hiked' the national minium wage to £5.35 an hour ... greedy bastards at the breweries making monkeys out of all drinkers and most of the people who put more than 'minium' effort into working for them.

there is no union, very little support from those above them ... i can tell you something, most bar staff are smarter than railway workers who have an incredible amount of union support.

maybe just try and talk to the bar staff, smile at them for once - if somebody wanted to talk to me and be friendly i'd bite their hand off, especially albion sympathizers who readily reep the benefits!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
pishhead said:
I used to work at the sportsman!! they do get too choose what name they want suprisingly!

Your mate was looking VERY nice!

chez said:
I also found out tonight that because of this thread the Sportsman barstaff are no longer allowed to have names on there shirts. :nono: :nono: :nono:

But isn't it "just a messageboard" with no relationship to the real world? Ah, perhaps not.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
chez said:
I also found out tonight that because of this thread the Sportsman barstaff are no longer allowed to have names on there shirts. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Oh yeh, they were wearing Albion shirts the other day.

That's ridiculous though - if they can choose the name, then what the hells the problem? How can anyone offend themselves?!?!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
chez said:

What a sad little world The Sportsman and its matchday clientele live in.

Plenty decent boozers out there folks.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Withdean Wanderer said:
Oh yeh, they were wearing Albion shirts the other day.

That's ridiculous though - if they can choose the name, then what the hells the problem? How can anyone offend themselves?!?!

Thats what she was saying tonight but the management dont want to offend anyone so names are no longer, which is a shame.

Tom Hark said:
What a sad little world The Sportsman and its matchday clientele live in.

Plenty decent boozers out there folks.
"Oh Sh*t, not the Sportsman!!!" :jester:

Food is better in the Park View and the Crown & Anchor, I grancha, but not much wrong with the atmosphere in my experience. And good if you are weighed down by ankle-biting toddlers!

Last edited:

chez said:
Thats what she was saying tonight but the management dont want to offend anyone so names are no longer, which is a shame.
I just assumed that names like "Sheepshagger" had been banned out of sensitivity towards our friends from West Glamorgan.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tom Hark said:
. If you're in the area, go to the Crown & Anchor for the food .

What is the food like and when do they stop serving in the evenings.

Mother is in Southlands and when we leave her at 8.00pm we do not want to start cooking at home and have looked for a pub with reasonable food at a reasonable price. Stopped at The Jack and Jill at Clayton on Monday night had Liver and Bacon , Mash and Veg quite good at about £9 ,I think, wife had Roast Turkey, a wine and a J2O it was £21 quite reasonable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here