Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Spirit That Once Surrounded This Club

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How many of us made the trek to Gillingham to watch dire football. The feelings of dejection were cast aside when we first went to Withdean and saw what a shit hole it was and this rejuvenated us to lift the team to win championships but now that has all gone flat as we have nothing to lift us, the team is playing badly, after years of trying and appearing to succeed with Falmer LDC have put the mockers on that temporarily. The board keep telling us how broke we are.

We need something to lift us somebody to come in and say here is the money go and buy two players. Somebody to lift the doom and gloom even if it be 1 player coming in who gives us a sparkle another Peter WARD for us to idolise and get behind.

BensGrandad said:
How many of us made the trek to Gillingham to watch dire football. The feelings of dejection were cast aside when we first went to Withdean and saw what a shit hole it was and this rejuvenated us to lift the team to win championships but now that has all gone flat as we have nothing to lift us, the team is playing badly, after years of trying and appearing to succeed with Falmer LDC have put the mockers on that temporarily. The board keep telling us how broke we are.

We need something to lift us somebody to come in and say here is the money go and buy two players. Somebody to lift the doom and gloom even if it be 1 player coming in who gives us a sparkle another Peter WARD for us to idolise and get behind.

You do talk bollox don't you.

many of us made the trek to Gillingham to watch dire football. The feelings of dejection were cast aside when we first went to Withdean.

At least it was feckin well in Brighton and Hove. i didn't have to spend three hours on a double decker bus, on five motorways just to get to a home game.

and at the time it was miles in front of Pissfield in terms of facilities - yes it actually had covered toilets.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Storer68 said:
You do talk bollox don't you.

many of us made the trek to Gillingham to watch dire football. The feelings of dejection were cast aside when we first went to Withdean.

At least it was feckin well in Brighton and Hove. i didn't have to spend three hours on a double decker bus, on five motorways just to get to a home game.

and at the time it was miles in front of Pissfield in terms of facilities - yes it actually had covered toilets.

That is exaxctly what I said after traveling all those miles and all those hours we were upbeat when we got back to Brighton anywhere in or near Brighton would have been better than going to Gillingham and the fact that Withdean is a shithole didnt matter. Although in most respects Priestfield was far far superior to Withdean

If you are going to say I talk a load of bollox make sure you have read the post properly before saying so.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
The spirit being talked about is more the team spirit that seemed to be at the club. Really that was started by the Mickey Adams teams and seems to have carried on.

IMHO the 'Club Spirit' is down to, in equal measures, Dick Knight, Micky Adams and The Albion Faithful. Take any one of these three out of the equation at various points over the last decade and the whole thing would have collapsed in a heap.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What a depressing thread ! And the worst thing is that its too true to be ignored.

We had become a lobby group instead of football fans. It was all up to Lancaster Gate, FOCUS (spit), Mellor and round the country. It was in the papers and on the radio. We were better known and better liked than ever before - for all the most dispicable and wrong reasons. From the utter depths of dispair at Hereford, it came to pass that we became back to back champions. I mean how far fetched can you get ? Who ever would have believed it ?

If you'd told me as I walked up to the Goldstone on Saturday April 27th 1997 what would happen, over the next seven years, ending up with that day at Cardiff I would have laughed in your face.

So here we are at the bottom of the table, playing in a dreadful ground.

BUT the bottom of the 2nd Division (Championship if you must)

AND the crap ground is in Brighton.

We probably have only got half a dozen more Falmer enquiries, and no more than ten years until we're taking our picnics on the bus to Falmer village green every week.

So let's try and drum up some of the atmosphere we managed at Elland Road in October when Leeds turn up and who knows....

Lastly, someone very close to me once said that they thought I hated Archer and Bellotti more than I loved the Albion. I still wrestle with this in case its true.

I did once promise Archer that I'd be at his funeral. And I will be. He won't be at the Albion's coz we're bigger, better and more popular than he could ever be.

I need a drink

:shootself

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Barry Hazgon said:
What a depressing thread ! And the worst thing is that its too true to be ignored.

We had become a lobby group instead of football fans. It was all up to Lancaster Gate, FOCUS (spit), Mellor and round the country. It was in the papers and on the radio. We were better known and better liked than ever before - for all the most dispicable and wrong reasons. From the utter depths of dispair at Hereford, it came to pass that we became back to back champions. I mean how far fetched can you get ? Who ever would have believed it ?

If you'd told me as I walked up to the Goldstone on Saturday April 27th 1997 what would happen, over the next seven years, ending up with that day at Cardiff I would have laughed in your face.

So here we are at the bottom of the table, playing in a dreadful ground.

BUT the bottom of the 2nd Division (Championship if you must)

AND the crap ground is in Brighton.

We probably have only got half a dozen more Falmer enquiries, and no more than ten years until we're taking our picnics on the bus to Falmer village green every week.

So let's try and drum up some of the atmosphere we managed at Elland Road in October when Leeds turn up and who knows....

Lastly, someone very close to me once said that they thought I hated Archer and Bellotti more than I loved the Albion. I still wrestle with this in case its true.

I did once promise Archer that I'd be at his funeral. And I will be. He won't be at the Albion's coz we're bigger, better and more popular than he could ever be.

I need a drink

:shootself

Great post :clap2:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
The spirit of a club is it's fans ( of which Dick Knight is one ). If anyone needs anything else to generate that ( a flash ground or winning every week ) then maybe they are not quite as much of a fan as they say they are.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sid James said:
The spirit of a club is it's fans ( of which Dick Knight is one ). If anyone needs anything else to generate that ( winning every week ) then maybe they are not quite as much of a fan as they say they are.

Tsk.. Fancy thinking that wanting the team to win is part of being a fan. Whatever next.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
sheebo said:
shut up 1066 i hate u. go post in the childs section..

Hate is such a stong word...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think 1066 has a point here (albeit not from direct experience).

We are suffering a bit of friendly fire at the moment - because quite frankly - until the LDC phoney war becomes a real battle (it is in the eyes of the club but maybe not yet in the eyes of many fans) all people do with their pent up energy is snipe.

Yes the club may be playing poorly at times - but it is my club

Yes withdean is poor - but the income generated off the pitch by being back in Brighton, at least partially staunches the flow of the money we will keep losing until we get Falmer

We only have one set of folk devils in our sights now and that aint the players, board and manager - it is those who are financing the legal challenge.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Its not racist, its FACT :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Anyway I think you will find the word is Xenophobe...

lol. Its really funny when the self rightous are exposed as idiots.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

KILLTHEMALL.jpg

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The desperate straights in which we found ourselves in the mid 90s, and the battles to save the club/bring us home/get Falmer, meant that there was a very special atmosphere at the Albion. Events off the pitch took precedence in the worst times - we all understood why the team was so bad when everything else was as well, and knew that to get a good team (our ultimate goal as football fans) we had to defeat the scum who were destroying our club. Then when we got back to Brighton, we had three promotions in four seasons alongside the ongoing battle for Falmer - all this kept the unity and momentum going.

There is now a feeling (more or less justified, though we're not there yet) that the 'war' is more or less over. We've got the 'yes' for Falmer. Now we want success on the pitch. As football fans that is how it should be - we want our team to win. That does not mean we forget about the ridiculous restrictions of playing at Withdean, or that we demand that our chairman (who has done a fantastic job) jeapodisies our long term future by throwing money around which we haven't got. It does mean we make the best possible use of available resources, don't waste money on untried players and don't talk about 'writing off' games!!And everyone has their opinion, that is what being a football fan is about.

However, I think we still have a fantastic spirit here at the Albion. Needs a couple of good strikers to give it a top up though...I gather I didn't miss much last Saturday while i was in Belfast!

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
1066Seagull said:
Yesterday, I read somewhere on here that the spirit that once surrounded this club has now gone.

:albion:
Jimmy Case and Steve Foster finished it all off in a week long bender..........keep up at the back.:lolol:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
attila said:
The desperate straights in which we found ourselves in the mid 90s, and the battles to save the club/bring us home/get Falmer, meant that there was a very special atmosphere at the Albion. Events off the pitch took precedence in the worst times - we all understood why the team was so bad when everything else was as well, and knew that to get a good team (our ultimate goal as football fans) we had to defeat the scum who were destroying our club. Then when we got back to Brighton, we had three promotions in four seasons alongside the ongoing battle for Falmer - all this kept the unity and momentum going.

There is now a feeling (more or less justified, though we're not there yet) that the 'war' is more or less over. We've got the 'yes' for Falmer. Now we want success on the pitch. As football fans that is how it should be - we want our team to win. That does not mean we forget about the ridiculous restrictions of playing at Withdean, or that we demand that our chairman (who has done a fantastic job) jeapodisies our long term future by throwing money around which we haven't got. It does mean we make the best possible use of available resources, don't waste money on untried players and don't talk about 'writing off' games!!And everyone has their opinion, that is what being a football fan is about.

However, I think we still have a fantastic spirit here at the Albion. Needs a couple of good strikers to give it a top up though...I gather I didn't miss much last Saturday while i was in Belfast!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Nicely put

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
attila said:

Well put, it is as I said, as if we have nothing at the moment to channel our energy into other than havea pop at the players and management.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
To put things in perspective, the football has not been too entertaining this season but we have come a long long way in six years.

Off the pitch, the enemy has still to be defeated. If/when we get the new stadium there should be a chamber of horror in the basement featuring Stanley, Archer, Bellotti, Baker, Commin, DeVecchi, Mad John Catt, the late Tom Carr, mine host at the Swan and the pillock who writes lies for Private Eye.

:jester:

1066gull

Think it should be called Bullseye or Coconut Shy.

Good way at getting stress out. Of Course we would expect to have a piece of paper with their head stuck to a wall, but it would be better if we could do it to the real thing...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here