Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Spirit That Once Surrounded This Club

1066gull

Yesterday, I read somewhere on here that the spirit that once surrounded this club has now gone. When you try to put this in to perspective and look at the situation of how the fans react now and then, is there a difference?

Obviously all of you have your own different opinions on it and the older fans may have a more accurate opinion to the rest of us, but why is this? From what I have learnt when I have looked back on our history, I think the one thing that has united us was the announcement that the Goldstone was to be demolished.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you unite together agaisnt Archer and Belotti at the obsured actions. If you never had united, and there was no spirit, than this club could of so easily died.

But the spirit did not die after the last game, and indeed when the Goldstone was demolised. It carried on through the dark murky days with no home where we had to travel 70 miles away to visit our home games. To me, the one thing that kept us still united was Falmer.

Years of agony, marching, back-ache, arm-arche and eventually ecstasy shown spirit throughout the community. For as long as I have followed the club, be it watching BBC South East or listening to Southern FM, I have felt a sense of spirit and community with the club - and that proved to be the case when I was following the result on my mobile phone home to Ipswich.

But, ever since John Presscot announcing he accepted planning permission for Falmer, that spirit seemed to have disappeared. It is like campaigning for our future has been completed and we have secured our status in the Football League.

But many of us very well know that this is not the case, but what is there left to help us become united and bring that spirit back for one last time to help the players keep us in the Championship?

Maybe a good cup run could of united us, or the battle agaisnt the LDC.

Whatever it is, the real passion and spirit seems to have wained.

:albion:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
1066Seagull said:
But, ever since John Presscot announcing he accepted planning permission for Falmer, that spirit seemed to have disappeared. It is like campaigning for our future has been completed and we have secured our status in the Football League.

Its a good point, we are sort of in limbo at the moment, knowing we have the go ahead for Falmer, but in the back of our minds also knowing that with the luck we have something might come of the judicial review.

I dont believe the spirit has gone its just resting.

A lot of people, myself included, expected the Falmer YES to be met with an upturn in form on the pitch, sadly this hasn't happened yet.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fair point, but expectations increase after years of trouble.

If you sit back and accept "this is as good as it gets" then you make no progress.

The club is by no means out of danger as we are a long way off getting our stadium, plus paying for the thing, so there will be anxiety for a good number of years.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Uncle Buck said:
The spirit being talked about is more the team spirit that seemed to be at the club. Really that was started by the Mickey Adams teams and seems to have carried on.

but most of the TRIED and TESTED ENGLISH players signed by Adams are now gone and replaced by FOREIGN rubbish signed by a lardy Jocko clown.
And as anyone knows FOREIGNERS are only in it for themselves and me no comprendie what le team spirit is :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
u aint got a clue 1066. uve only been watching the albion a matter of weeks.

1066gull

But how would a Yes vote for Falmer affect the performance on the pitch? Half of the squad will not be playing at Falmer, Butters and Dodd will be near retirement and as much as I hate to say this, Carole and Frutos will be gone to a bigger club.

Falmer will not affect the team performance until we actually play in it. The one factor that can affect the performance is the fans attitude towards the players and manager.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I think it's more to do with the fact that many of us are sick of Withdea, and the performances are shit:)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
shut up 1066 i hate u. go post in the childs section..

1066gull

sheebo said:
u aint got a clue 1066. uve only been watching the albion a matter of weeks.

Why don't you f*ck off.

I have followed the club for at least 10 years, but differently to many of the people on here.

The only difference is this is my first season.

I still have plenty more to go to, and probably a lot more than you.

Coward.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ernest said:
but most of the TRIED and TESTED ENGLISH players signed by Adams are now gone and replaced by FOREIGN rubbish signed by a lardy Jocko clown.
And as anyone knows FOREIGNERS are only in it for themselves and me no comprendie what le team spirit is :angry: :angry: :angry:

So speaks the VOICE of TRUE fans everywhere. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
O Lads said:
Does that mean your not a true Brighton fan unless you are racist
:nono: :nono:

Its not racist, its FACT :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Anyway I think you will find the word is Xenophobe...

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
1066Seagull said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you unite together agaisnt Archer and Belotti at the obsured actions. If you never had united, and there was no spirit, than this club could of so easily died.

True as that may be, it was hardly the most enjoyable time to be an Albion supporter - in terms of events on and off the pitch. If "recapturing" the spirit you talk about means a return to 1996, I'm quite happy without it, thanks.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
1066 does have a point. The whole saga of the Goldstone being demolished and the Falmer campaign brought the fans together as one. Not many clubs have had to deal with something like that. We were fortunate to have Micky at the club and we were doubly fortunate to be promoted to the Championship.

Suddenly there's nothing to campaign for except for the performances on the pitch. Supporting a shit team was only part of being an Albion fan back in 96, 97...we had much bigger issues to worry about. Now it's out of our hands and we only have the football, really, to worry about.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
1066Seagull said:
But how would a Yes vote for Falmer affect the performance on the pitch? Half of the squad will not be playing at Falmer, Butters and Dodd will be near retirement and as much as I hate to say this, Carole and Frutos will be gone to a bigger club.

Falmer will not affect the team performance until we actually play in it. The one factor that can affect the performance is the fans attitude towards the players and manager.

The fact that almost a decade of homelessness would soon be resolved, the cant tell me that the players dont care about Falmer, irrespective of whether they will play there or not.

In theory planning permission could attract investors which could provide more money for the club to invest in better players and why then would Carole and Frutos want to leave when we "could" do a Reading/Wigan

(All in theory mind)

i feel that since we have been given the go ahead for Falmer all the leeway we once gave to managers disappeared.

That's simply because we don't have anything else to worry about, and the LDC issue hasn't got us going yet. So we concentrate on what is going on, on the pitch. We now suddenly want players when we are looking at a hefty building bill around the corner.

I feel we have to face the fact that we are 4 years away from being able to start thinking about quality players. Only then if we sell our Falmer week after week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here