Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Smoking Ban

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No

Didn't you get one of the government issued smoking ban info packs?

I've got about 20 anyway
I've managed to cut down to 15 info packs a day ...

Interesting point about smoking in houses. Mrs Brovian is a District Nurse who has to visit all sorts of patients in all sorts of places. I must ask her what they're planning to do.

Mrs Brovian is also an old hippie. We have dogs and her favorite way of covering up the smell is by lighting jossticks and incense. These produce smoke! What's going to be the rule on going into houses inhabited by old hippies? Come to that what about badly-maintained real fires that smoke? Surely that's more 'dangerous' than 2nd-hand smoke from a Benson?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The rules in London state that you must not smoke within 3 meters of the entrance to your building. Also not smoke on any of the railway's premises at all. What about on railway property in the open air then?

Therefore, you are going to have hoards of lepers standing in the middle of roundabouts and in the middle of roads huddled together smoking so as not to encourage the wrath of the smoking nazi police they are now recruiting

as teh Kaiser Cheifs say...." I predict a riot"

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The rules in London state that you must not smoke within 3 meters of the entrance to your building. Also not smoke on any of the railway's premises at all. What about on railway property in the open air then?

Therefore, you are going to have hoards of lepers standing in the middle of roundabouts and in the middle of roads huddled together smoking so as not to encourage the wrath of the smoking nazi police they are now recruiting

3 metres of YOUR building, right? So what's to stop people smoking within 3 metres of SOMEONE ELSE's building? Like by crossing the road?

As one of the NSP monkeys might say: "Mess"!

Lush

Mods' Pet

No worries. They'd stop after a couple of minutes for a fag.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I am *ahem* working from home today. When the smoking ban comes in, does that mean my living room becomes my workplace, and therefore I'm not allowed to smoke in my own home ?
:shrug:

If you take colleagues or anyone related to your business into your "home office" then yes, the ban applies.

Total shite in my opinion, but then that just about sums up this government.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
When the digital signal comes into being compulsory (from October 2007 - 2012) it wouldn't surprise me that there will be the facility for the government to spy into our lounges/bedrooms.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
If you take colleagues or anyone related to your business into your "home office" then yes, the ban applies.

Total shite in my opinion, but then that just about sums up this government.

Presumably it wouldn't be his colleagues place of work, therefore the ban would not apply:

"Premises are smoke-free if they are used as a place of work-

(a) by more than one person (even if the persons who work there do so at different times, or only intermittently)"

Sep 20, 2005
not if this govenmen have anything to do with it........
wont be long before we cant shit without asking first.
fu@king dictatorship.
and
f***ing Gestapo state:censored:
and
When the digital signal comes into being compulsory (from October 2007 - 2012) it wouldn't surprise me that there will be the facility for the government to spy into our lounges/bedrooms.

Honestly, is no-one else going to challenge this ridiculous perception that we live in anything even closely resembling a dictatorship? Please go and do just a tiny bit of reading into the methods of, and life for ordinary people living under, regimes such as those of Mussolini, Idi Amin, Franco, Mugabe, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao, Stalin, Ceausescu, Enver Hoxha and the former East Germany.
It's a disgusting insult to the victims of such brutality to compare our society with any of those.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford

How are they going to manage that, unless you willfully buy a television with the facility to record you and broadcast it to a government building? And who on earth is going to watch the movements of some 60 million people?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Not necessarily, if somebody's home is also somebody else's place of work?

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/

I can see the point - and I hate homes that smell of smoke too, just like I hate sitting in other peoples cars when they are smoking! - but I'm just worried where decisions like this will stop! Surely your home is your castle...will the ambulance service refuse to go into someones house as they smoke? Seems a bit nanny state to me....

Yoda

English & European
I am *ahem* working from home today. When the smoking ban comes in, does that mean my living room becomes my workplace, and therefore I'm not allowed to smoke in my own home ?
:shrug:

I put this to someone at work who is a smoker and used to be our union rep.

His reply:

YES- THEY WILL HAVE TO GO TO THE GARDEN- IT MAY WELL BE THEIR HOME BUT IF A COLLEAGUE /MANAGER/CONSULTANT IS THERE OR THE POSSIBILTY THAT THEY MIGHT MEANS THAT THEY SHOULD HEAD TOWARDS THE KITCHEN. BECAUSE OF THWE SIZE OF THE OPERATION THERE ISN’T A LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR BREAK/TIOLET FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED SO THEY CAN SMOKE THERE OR THE GARDEN!!

ack

Apr 20, 2006
I smoke and have no problems about pubs etc.My locals are mostly non smoking and it doesnt bother me not smoking in them.But I work 12 hr shifts and we have a smoke room that no 1 except us has to venture into,so how can we be polluting others????????:angry:
As I read it the only way I can smoke is to be banged up or become an MP in Westminster,both crooks but later gets a decent pension fer the privalige:lolol:

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Oh and the stupid crazy thing that get me most.
I work for a private company who has an owner that smokes with a turnover of £35mil plus,he owns the factory,pays tax etc and he cant smoke within his own empire.
Well done Labour,way to promote investment:angry:

ack

Apr 20, 2006
Oh and the stupid crazy thing that get me most.
I work for a private company who has an owner that smokes with a turnover of £35mil plus,he owns the factory,pays tax etc and he cant smoke within his own empire.
Well done Labour,way to promote investment:angry:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I put this to someone at work who is a smoker and used to be our union rep.

His reply:

YES- THEY WILL HAVE TO GO TO THE GARDEN- IT MAY WELL BE THEIR HOME BUT IF A COLLEAGUE /MANAGER/CONSULTANT IS THERE OR THE POSSIBILTY THAT THEY MIGHT MEANS THAT THEY SHOULD HEAD TOWARDS THE KITCHEN. BECAUSE OF THWE SIZE OF THE OPERATION THERE ISN’T A LEGAL REQUIREMENT FOR BREAK/TIOLET FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED SO THEY CAN SMOKE THERE OR THE GARDEN!!

You know what really scares me, is I actually only posted this thread as a joke! I don't really have much of a problem with the smoking ban, but if I want to smoke in my own home, working or not, I bloody well will.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I smoke and have no problems about pubs etc.My locals are mostly non smoking and it doesnt bother me not smoking in them.But I work 12 hr shifts and we have a smoke room that no 1 except us has to venture into,so how can we be polluting others????????:angry:
As I read it the only way I can smoke is to be banged up or become an MP in Westminster,both crooks but later gets a decent pension fer the privalige:lolol:

So, can you smoke in prison - after all it's the prison guards workplace??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here