Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Shard - Expensive and Dangerous

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Took my son to see the view from the Shard in London last night as a surprise for his 10th birthday. He's wanted to go up there ever since he saw it being built a year ago.

Anyway, tickets for 2 adults and a child will set you back the best part of £70. Incredible price for what is essentially just looking out someone's window. Good view though.

Afterwards we went for a meal and during the meal, my son started to complain that his ears hurt. So much so that he cried during the journey home. Went to the doctor's this morning who diagnosed a perforated ear drum. I cant think what else could have caused it. The lifts up to the top are so quick I think the pressure change must have caused it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit of a bland addition to the London skyline IMHO. OK it's quite high, but utterly lacking in what TV property spivs would call 'The Wow Factor'. Must have taken an architect about ten minutes on his fag break to design no?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Better alert the health and safety people and have it closed down

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You really need to see the pictures that [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] took of the view from the Shard. They are stunning.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
You really need to see the pictures that [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] took of the view from the Shard. They are stunning.

Visit the site of www/willpearson.co.uk

click on 360, scroll to the bottom to 'blogs' , the Shard at twylight is particularly fantastic

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Granted, it's a great view.
But £25 each? And a bust ear drum!

Thank god for Saturday afternoons! Proper old fashioned entertainment!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Somehow this building has completely passed me by since it was built. I heard it in conversation once and just assumed it was another structure like the 'Orbit', but it's the tallest building in the EU! :mad:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Visit the site of www/willpearson.co.uk

click on 360, scroll to the bottom to 'blogs' , the Shard at twylight is particularly fantastic

Cheers for that. A combination of the price and my fear of heights means I'll probably never get to see it for myself so this is a great substitute.

As an aside - is it just me who thinks that it doesn't 'look' all that high when you see it from the near distance. It also looks unfinished. Maybe that's just me too.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Granted, it's a great view.
But £25 each? And a bust ear drum!

Thank god for Saturday afternoons! Proper old fashioned entertainment!

Sounds like the last time I saw Brighton play at Rotherham!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Afterwards we went for a meal and during the meal, my son started to complain that his ears hurt. So much so that he cried during the journey home. Went to the doctor's this morning who diagnosed a perforated ear drum. I cant think what else could have caused it. The lifts up to the top are so quick I think the pressure change must have caused it.

My son had something similar, at a restaurant/open area in Luton. I think they were using something high-pitched as a deterrent to stop people loitering in the area. For some reason kids/boys are more likely to be able to hear them.

Some places also use a sonar seagull-deterrent.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
They actually charge you for going up in it ??? WTF !!
I thought it was just an office building, apartments and a hotel complex.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should charge no more than a tenner a head but I guess people are prepared to pay it because it's in THAT London.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Total rip off, though i imagine the views would be good on a clear day.

Havent you got to book in advance too ? So you could book and then on the day, its low cloud of incredibly foggy, so you see nothing - that would be a MASSIVE waste.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Could just as easily happen on an aircraft though, and quite commonly does. The Shard is not "dangerous" in itself, it's just one of those things that happens sometimes :shrug:

The price is expensive, but then again it is London. They have unsuspecting foreign tourists to mug.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£7.25 to go up Spinnaker Tower, and you can't complain about that view, either, esp if you only look east :lol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Comparable with here, which is normally more expensive on everything.

The observation deck at Burj Khalifa (world's tallest building) is just under £60 for two adults and a 10-year old if you book ahead.

But it's £200 if you just turn up and want to go there and then!!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
£7.25 to go up Spinnaker Tower, and you can't complain about that view, either, esp if you only look east :lol:

Yes, but you do have to factor in the cost of the vaccinations required to visit Portsmouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here