Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Seven Dials Roundabout Competition

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Is it me or is this the stupidist competition ever by the council???

As the article says, its scene for 20 accidents a year, so what better way to combat the problem then by sticking a nice sculpture in the middle of the round about for drivers to stare at instead of looking at the on coming traffic :clap:

Then even better, the argus mock up the Statue of Liberty and Eiffel Tower in place on the round about - LOVE it!!!

Seven Dials sculpture cash up for grabs
By Naomi Loomes

Artists are drawing up plans for a sculpture to sit in the middle of the notorious Seven Dials roundabout in Brighton.

It is part of a plan to make the roundabout, which is the scene of about 20 accidents a year, safer for drivers.

Brighton and Hove City Council is offering a commission of £10,000 to the artist who creates the winning sculpture.

Here The Argus's design team has mocked up what the roundabout would look like with the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower or Arc de Triomphe in the middle.

The idea of a tall, striking design would go down well with Roger Amerena, chairman of the Montpelier and Clifton Hill Association - although he is keen that the sculpture is in keeping with important architecture in the area.

advertisementHe said: "There is a huge need to make the Dials safer.

"Drivers in New England Road have no idea there's a roundabout in front of them. A tall, lit structure would mean the junction is visible to drivers coming up the hill to Hove.

"Montpelier and Clifton Hill Association thought a redesign would also be the perfect opportunity to commemorate the 18th century Brighton architect Amon Wilds and his son Amon Henry Wilds, who gave Brighton its unique style.

"They designed Oriental Place, Brunswick Square, Regency Square, Montpelier Crescent and more - so they essentially shaped most of the seafront. The Seven Dials junction with Montpelier Crescent is the gateway to their work."

A spokesman for the city council said: "Any art piece should be site-specific and take inspiration from the local area.

"There are certain architectural styles in the roads surrounding the roundabout and any piece must reflect or complement the style.

"Seven Dials has a huge amount of footfall and as the art piece will be visible from at least seven different view points, the piece must work from a number of sight lines.

"Final designs must also take into consideration that the piece will be lit at night."

A sketched plan on the council's website shows a three-tier design and the sculpture would go on the third tier.

Paula Murray, head of arts and creative industry at Brighton and Hove City Council, said: "This is an important cultural project. Artwork at the centre of roundabouts is a very European phenomenon. But first and foremost it's a road safety redesign."

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Winning entry...

mushtaq.jpg

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
So now instead of looking at the road you can look at the statue when you casually pull out.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the crappy BOAT on Shorehams Holmbush roundabout has already caused a few shunts, amazingly its yet to be vandalised though :searchesingarageforspraypaint:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
How about a large version of something like this...

turnabout-sign.jpg

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
f***ing brilliant. Let's make the visibility even worse and add some confusion for good measure. All the council should do is rename the A23 Mushtaq Ahmed Boulevard and then fold, f*** off and die. And the whole A23 should be renamed. That includes the bits through Croydon and Saaff Lahhndahn.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Love the Seven Dials - went to Stamford Road School nearby, got my first hamster from a pet shop that used to be on the small road up the side of what was barclays bank. Bought my first darts at the shop next door. Always used to buy our Xmas tree from the greengrocer on Dyke Road there. When skint (and living on Old Shoreham Road near the bridge) used to live on onion rings from the Burger Place by the public bogs.

I was once run over on Seven Dials. Was riding a bicycle and turning off to Montpelier Road when a Land Rover came out of the Dyke Road (one way bit) and just ploughed into me. I bounced away as he drove over the bike. I was hurt but not so hurt that I couldn't get a few good expletives out. Sadly, this made the driver reverse back over the bike (which I had borrowed) and finish it off.

Ambulance eventually turned up and walked over to me and helping public.
"Who needs our help?" said the Paramedic.
"That woman over there" says nearby wit, "she feinted when she heard him swearing in the road"!!!!

That's a totally true story - and to cap it all off, the g/f at the time met me at the hospital to pick me up and told me that I was dumped. Happy memories of Seven Dials.

One more tale I recall - elderly neighbour from Reigate Road learning to drive went the wrong way round Seven Dials - in two consecutive lessons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Can't believe I spelled Stanford wrong - apols to the Alumni. It was a typo and not ignorance.

Note about Reigate Road. There used to be a family who were into riding in a big way. Every now and again - and I swear this is true (you can ask Suzanne Louie who lived next door) - they used to have a horse inside their tiny semi.

Such simple days back in the 70's!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
This was spoken about in the Argus last year.

Stupid idea.

I went to Stanford: infants and middle school. Loved the seven dials and remember the days b4 Alliance and Leicester. Montpelliar Crescent and that Park was a great place to play cricket with the roads being natural boundaries. I knocked many a six into the basements on Montpelliar Road. Great Burger Place, the original chippy up the road was again brialliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here